U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:44 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,105,316 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one? Officially stopped after the last bad garage sale with the types of customers that were coming along.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:45 AM

12,018 posts, read 9,683,316 times
I've never had one or been to one. There is someone in my neighborhood that has them a few times a month, mostly on weekends, they also set up shot near a major roadway to try to sell their junk. Seems like a complete waste of time to me.

I've only seen them on TV with people selling their junk for a quarter. What am I going to do with a quarter? If it's junk I'd throw it away and if it has value I'd donate it.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:52 AM

4,694 posts, read 8,519,154 times
Last one I had was ~2006.

Just not worth my time to get a few dollars. Anything worth more than about $50 I just sell online, anything less and I donate it (or trash it).

Sounds like a richy-rich attitude I'm sure, and we're not. We've certainly never made over $100k/year (individual, combined, any kind of gifts/inheritance, etc..) but have also never been below the poverty line. I'm sure that at some point the hassle is worth the ~$100 worth of small stuff that wouldn't sell on its own.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:09 AM

41,210 posts, read 51,018,129 times
I had one after we moved. I made a few hundred $$ but still hauled a lot of stuff to Goodwill.
Except for the fact that I got to chat with a few neighbors, when I didn't know anyone, it was a waste of time.
Since then, one of our neighbors has taken to buying things cheap, fixing them up and selling them on Craigslist...Big things like trailers etc. This caused our private little neighborhood to be targeted by thieves. The neighbor had two trailers stolen, and caught someone near his garage.
For this reason, he doesn't do that anymore, and I wouldn't have another garage sale.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:10 AM

I used to (a long time ago) do well with garage sales. Over the past few years I've noticed people who want to get things for very cheap, or free. As it turns out, they are trying to re-sell these things on ebay or elsewhere.

One guy came and wanted to buy all these CDs for only a quarter a piece. I told him no way. I looked up the listings of these CDs on amazon later on, and sure enough, he picked out the highest valued ones, very likely to he could re-sell them. He walked away muttering about how he never paid more than a quarter for CDs, so I told him he shouldn't have any problem finding them at that price.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:14 AM

40,491 posts, read 36,301,522 times
No thanks. The typical clientele we get here is over aggressive and will try to buy your stuff before the appointed times AND will try to get it for pennies. Maybe it's cultural I don't know. Plus, we had to hire a freaking security guard at our school sales because of losers stealing stuff. I'm ok with haggling for a price but at some point it becomes embarrassing.

Who steals from a fund raiser?

Old 11-29-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No thanks. The typical clientele we get here is over aggressive and will try to buy your stuff before the appointed times AND will try to get it for pennies.

If someone wants to buy something for pennies, they don't value it enough and I won't sell it to them. If that makes sense. If they aren't willing to pay a reasonable price, they don't really want it. They would go in a store and pay a dollar for a candy bar, but won't pay a dollar for a music CD that they can listen to over and over again. That seems really strange.

The fact is, most times they are probably trying to re-sell the items they want for pennies.

Some people contact me and want to know if they can just haul my stuff away in their truck and try to act like they're doing me a favor. They are re-sellers, also. Sometimes they'll lie and claim they want to take it to donate to a charity. There is nothing wrong with re-selling things, but I'm not going to give stuff away to these people and they shouldn't lie and claim they are donating it to charity.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:23 AM

5,496 posts, read 3,941,203 times
I have never really had much luck with yard sales and vowed never to have one again. But, then I broke that vow and decided to try it again because I have so much crap...er....stuff that I want to get rid of. I had one last Sept and didn't do that great and had another one this past June and I did a little bit better but not great. I finally got some advice:

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Sale...ale+book+cindy

I had another sale this past Sept and did VERY well. I made over $400. Not to mention the fact that I got rid of a bunch of crap...er...stuff. I think the biggest thing that made this one better than the others was I held it on Friday & Saturday-as opposed to Saturday & Sunday. Every time I held one on a Sunday, I hardly got any costumers. We live next door to a church and I thought that people would stop by after they leave church. Nope. Never had one person from the church come by. Who knew that Friday would be a good day for yard sales.

Cat

Old 11-29-2016, 11:29 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,075,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I have never really had much luck with yard sales and vowed never to have one again. But, then I broke that vow and decided to try it again because I have so much crap...er....stuff that I want to get rid of. I had one last Sept and didn't do that great and had another one this past June and I did a little bit better but not great. I finally got some advice:

https://smile.amazon.com/Garage-Sale...ale+book+cindy

I had another sale this past Sept and did VERY well. I made over $400. Not to mention the fact that I got rid of a bunch of crap...er...stuff. I think the biggest thing that made this one better than the others was I held it on Friday & Saturday-as opposed to Saturday & Sunday. Every time I held one on a Sunday, I hardly got any costumers. We live next door to a church and I thought that people would stop by after they leave church. Nope. Never had one person from the church come by. Who knew that Friday would be a good day for yard sales.

Cat
Yard sales where I used to live (MN) and where I live now (Arkansas) were mostly Thursday thru Saturday

Old 11-29-2016, 11:32 AM

17,991 posts, read 11,115,670 times
Never again...the time spent organizing and marking stuff then people basically want everything for a nickel <smh>. And now everyone starts theirs (aka the SAHMs) on Thursday so if you don't take time off from work you get practically no one coming by. Even craigslist is better for bigger items that can't be shipped and ebay for everything else of value. Otherwise take it to Goodwill and get a few dollars charitable contribution deduction on your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House