Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times

Advertisements

The bottom, where the toilet bolts to the floor, is about as big a problem for me when it comes to cleaning as the rim is. That's why I like the skirted ones mentioned earlier.

And that "self-cleaning" one still doesn't clean the rim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:33 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No kidding. Peeing on the floor and the sides of the toilet is nothing but disrespect for whoever is their servant to clean the toilet after them.

Men can write their name in the snow. They are perfectly capable of hitting a circle that is 16 inches in diameter.

They have a hose to direct where their pee goes. If they dribble, they should wipe it up right then and there.
Its not that simple. If you owned one you would know.

Try pointing a hose into a bucket about the same size as a toilet, and at low pressure. Next have someone turn up and down that pressure and you need to keep adjusting the hose to point into the bucket. Most mistakes happen when you first start to go. Even though its pointed at the bowl, it may stream to the left or up, etc. until the full stream starts. Yes, its a lot of detail, but thats how it works.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:22 PM

69 posts, read 114,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Its not that simple. If you owned one you would know.

Try pointing a hose into a bucket about the same size as a toilet, and at low pressure. Next have someone turn up and down that pressure and you need to keep adjusting the hose to point into the bucket. Most mistakes happen when you first start to go. Even though its pointed at the bowl, it may stream to the left or up, etc. until the full stream starts. Yes, its a lot of detail, but thats how it works.
So, just sit?

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe not "just" but isn't a rocket science and pretty common in other countries. Only because this type of toilet is not popular here, doesn't mean having one isn't doable. Those toilets are sold here, locally, including all the necessary accessories. Of course some modifications are needed, like removing a drywall and replacing it with thicker wall to support the tank and carrier system. But there are creative ways to deal with this problem if you really wish to make the change, and easier during a complete renovation.
It exists in other countries because it's bolted into concrete walls.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Saw this at lowes yesterday. Entire lid pops off, no tools. Rim has no places for dirt to hide. Cleans itself with press of a button.

https://www.americanstandard-us.com/acticlean.html

Not something I would buy, but clever.
I want to see that device operated with that chick's pasta leavings in that bowl. That requires elbow grease. I don't see an elbow.

Expensive "show off to your friends" bowl cake. It can be purchased with a credit card. I'm not impressed.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaM View Post
I have a Gerber Avalanche toilet and the seat removes easily for cleaning.
So does my Bemis. And it's dishwasher safe.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alba!ny View Post
So, just sit?
This isn't Sweden.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,735 times
My toilets clean themselves

Old 04-19-2017, 10:10 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,867 times
Ew, putting anything toilet related into my dishwasher...where I put my dishes...that I eat off of. No thanks!

My gripe is I don't think some companies put really good glazing on all the places inside the bowl, namely the draining hole. "Stuff" sits there a bit before the flush and often stains or catches. And if one uses those pumice stone things to get rid of a hard water stain, doesn't that destroy the glazing and make that spot more apt to future staining?

Funny I came across this thread right after I had scrubbed my john. Yes, I washed my hands before I put them on the keyboard.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
the toilet in that picture looks kind of tall. I prefer short toilets where you have ample ability to bend your knees and "squat" .. I never used a really tall toilet until I bought this house where they installed tall ones so the elderly people who lived here could get out of them more easily.
I am to the point where I prefer the taller john, but I have never fallen into one of the standard height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House