Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:45 PM

32,821 posts, read 36,098,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
^I remember reading an article in the paper once when they were talking to different families who made those over-the-top displays every year---the type that people drive to go see. One of the families was Jewish and the husband said, "I'm Jewish. But I just love Christmas decorations so I decorate for Christmas anyway."

Anyway, I like Christmas decorations. Most things do not bother me. The only thing I can think of that really bothers me is this one house in my neighborhood is completely covered in these bright, piercing blue (LED?) lights and it is so overwhelming I cannot even look at the house because it physically pains my eyes.
I used to drive my kid to those places. It was fun. The one house left a basket of candy on the porch, and the other had Santa the week before Christmas.

I don't care how anyone decorates their house. It's dark outside. The more lights the better.

Last edited by Gerania; 12-03-2016 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 12:37 AM

15,243 posts, read 12,865,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I LIKE lights of all one color, esp. blue. I dislike all white ...that's not really a color. White is the absence of color.
Actually, white is all colors combined.

Black is the absence of color.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:43 AM

13,036 posts, read 17,976,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
gee, I wonder why? LOL

this is 10 blocks from where I live. Dyker Heights Christmas lights.
it can take 40 minutes to get up one block by car.
and they really look like this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dyke...w=1002&bih=448
I am chuckling about your post. I grew up on LI and remained there until I retired and D H was a Christmas destination by many who would make the trip to see the lights. Our neighbors just came back from NY and they gave us a brochure that had a tour of the Christmas lights.

https://www.asliceofbrooklyn.com/bus...s-lights-tour/

I am certain you know about it, but ya gotta give it to the guy he gets $50 a head and the tours sell out.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:59 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,216,086 times
Inflatables and anything that looks like cheap plastic.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:13 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,820,940 times
In Ohio neighbors were offended by this man's zombie Christmas display and the township ordered him to take it down:

Ohio homeowner threatened with fines by city over zombie-themed nativity scene | abc7news.com
Tue Dec 08 19:09:50 EST 2015 | ABC7 News

The nativity scene features zombies playing the roles of Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus. The homeowner, Jasen Dixon, put up the zombie nativity scene. Neighbors say they're offended. The local township ordered the homeowner to take down the zombie nativity, or face a fine of $500 a day.
- See more at: Ohio homeowner threatened with fines by city over zombie-themed nativity scene | abc7news.com : Related Articles | OOYUZ

Old 12-04-2016, 07:34 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,472,107 times
So much bah humbug on one thread!

Old 12-04-2016, 07:58 AM

50,123 posts, read 63,531,418 times
I don't like a bunch of stuff out on the lawn, mainly because it looks so awful during the day.

I am over the all white lights thing. This trend for "tastefulness" has run its course, I think. To me it's very uninteresting. I do not put lights outside, but I have switched from all white lights on the tree to colored ones. I like the over the top exuberance of the colored lights.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,837,775 times
There are things I don't want to put up because I don't "like" them (inflatables, projectors, multi colored lights) BUT I like seeing them in other people's yards. The more people decorate, the happier I am. I love seeing lights and decorations all over.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:00 AM

525 posts, read 657,137 times
Do not like: Inflatables (they are worse when deflated, looks like random empty trashbags on a lawn), multi-colored lights, when light strings are obvious (like you see the path of the string) thrown carelessly over shrubs or hanging haphazardly from the lowest branches of the trees, anything on a motion detector (just screams Big Mouth Billy Bass to me), TINSEL.

A couple of Christmases ago, my father (who never met a swarovski crystal he wouldn't buy) got me one I already had. So I took it and exchanged it for a silver tone and crystal star shaped tree topper. Its very pretty, but seemed out of place with all my multi colored mismatched ornaments. So last year after Christmas, my husband and I decided to do a tree that suited the topper, and we went shopping in all the sales. The tree this year has silver, white, and clear glass ornaments and a silver and white tree skirt. I'm very pleased with it. We haven't been able to do outside yet (it can't rain all the time...)

Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,837,775 times
I don't like "matchy matchy" trees...they lack warmth and history to me. To me tree ornaments tell a family story. Ones that match look like the belong in a sterile lobby somewhere.

But to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House