Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,466 times

Advertisements

I'm the second homeowner and there was previously a leak in the master bathroom that came through the ceiling and onto the carpet in the family room. The leak was repaired along with the ceiling but the floor in the family room was neglected so the subfloor is weak and rotted. It is the last board near the exterior wall.

I'm looking for how much it would be to repair or replace a 2' by 2' square of subfloor and see if you guys have any suggestions for whether I need a contractor or if I can DIY this. Thanks!

Last edited by DIYStruggler; 12-15-2016 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: Corrections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 07:51 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
It sounds like a DIY to me...

But only the person who is performing the task will know for sure if they're capable.

However, by your screen name I'd say hire someone!

Old 12-15-2016, 08:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
If it is just plywood either one is fine. You can do it easily or a handyman can likely do it for minimum cost. If it is tongue and groove, I suggest you learn to DIY or buck up and pay big dollars for someone who will do it right. Ripping it out and putting in plywood in that case is not doing it right.

Also, are you sure no joists/sills are also rotted? If so, it may well be beyond your skills or capacity to learn from a book, especially a sill plate. (Although a book and help/advice form an experienced friend may be enough to DIY. Depends on you.)

Old 12-17-2016, 10:58 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYStruggler View Post
I'm the second homeowner and there was previously a leak in the master bathroom that came through the ceiling and onto the carpet in the family room. The leak was repaired along with the ceiling but the floor in the family room was neglected so the subfloor is weak and rotted. It is the last board near the exterior wall.

I'm looking for how much it would be to repair or replace a 2' by 2' square of subfloor and see if you guys have any suggestions for whether I need a contractor or if I can DIY this. Thanks!
A patched piece of sub-floor should have two sides resting on FJs and blocking installed between the FJs along the other two sides. This way there's support under the seams of the patch piece and it won't give under someone's weight. The blocking between FJs isn't necessary if one is installing T&G flooring.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:40 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
The fact that you are asking is an indication that you may not be up to the task. (I don't know your skill level).

There are many variables. First, would be what material was used for the subfloor. Second, do you have good access under this area (unfinished basement, or crawlspace). Third, is there damage to the floor framing as well.

Granted, you do not need access under the area, but it could be much easier if you have to repair joists (or sill plates, etc).
You will also need several tools, and know how to use them to do the repairs.
Basically, you would need to cut out the damaged sub flooring. Then you will have to add blocking to the floor joists to give the new material support and a place to fasten it down.
So you cut out the damaged material, then keep cutting it back until it is even with the floor joists.
The you need to add small sections of floor joist to each side of the hole. You can do this with screws and a power driver. You may have to add blocking between the joists (perpendicular to the floor joists) to provide additional support. But you may not need it depending open the material and the size of the opening.
The you will screw in the new material to the added blocking. You might need to add fasteners to the old sub floor at the edge of the opening if its loose.

While its not rocket science, it could be a daunting job if you don't have the right tools, and the knowledge to use them.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:29 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Why all the Supererogation?

The OP asked a simple question- hire someone or DIY(?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House