Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:45 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,022 times

Advertisements

I'm considering putting a stand alone garage in the back of my yard (I'm on about an acre). I'm a bit of a wheeler-dealer and always like to have a project car, motorcycles, boat, etc. My wife keeps giving me grief about the garage attached to the house being filled up with a project car, wave runner, motorcycle, and having 3 cars in the driveway. I make good money flipping these items as a side hustle and really enjoy it, but I totally understand where she is coming from. Rather than renting a spot for $250-$500 a month I thought about putting a nice garage in the yard where my shed currently sits.

Ideally it would be a 2 car, with a side doorway, I'd like it to be a little taller for some potential lofted storage space. I'd want to keep vehicles in it I can work on so I'd likely need to have a slab put down.

The one in the photo would be pretty ideal, maybe a little wider so there's room to work/walk around if I have 2 vehicles in there.

I'd consider a metal building assuming it was really nice and got the A-ok from the wife.

Trying to get an idea of what I can expect all in cost, or if its something I could likely finance for like $250 a month for a few years which would be way better than renting storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Cost of stand alone garage?-garage.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Depends on where you live and how nice it is.
I'd say about 40-60k.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
An advantage to rural AL is that garages and big sheds are pretty inexpensive. A 24'x24' can be had for less than $15K (some as low as $10K) constructed, including a (too thin) slab over your pre-prepped flat spot. Most places, I would figure at least double that.

I'd skip leaky dormers and invest in a sub-panel and proper lighting and a few outlets for shop tools. I'm a bit puzzled that clerestory windows haven't made a comeback as part of a prepackaged roof vent system. It would seem like a natural, that could just be placed over the crown of the roof.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:13 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
From what you have pictured, it would be about 85k here in the northeast.

Yes, metal building (morton) would be significantly cheaper.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
IIRC I read an article recently that suggested the cost for a detached garage of good quality was about $85 per sq ft.

You can go from there with your ideas.....24 by 24 would be $49,000; 24 by 30 would run $61,000. I am guessing that in your part of the world with a little wheeling and dealing you can do better than that.

Nice pic, BTW.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,854,770 times
Sounds about right to me.

I got a quote for $ 10k for a slab (26x28) $13 sq ft - seemed high to me but this is with 4 foot deep footers and 4" slab.
Shell with siding, roof, garage doors and a few windows about $50 a sq ft

But easily can go up a lot, or down with quality.

What you have pictured almost looks like it has a small living area or office above, with the external stairs.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:41 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
From what you have pictured, it would be about 85k here in the northeast.

Yes, metal building (morton) would be significantly cheaper.

Seriously?! I'm not having a little house built just an empty garage lol.

An amish company got back to me and first quoted $25k for a 2 car garage with attic space so that's not bad at all. I'm going to keep hunting around. I could easily drop the dormers and just go with a nice metal roof 2 door. I've reached out to a few other companies, some modular builders in the area, says since I'm local I can expect a 30% decrease on labor so that's a plus.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:46 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,068,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Seriously?! I'm not having a little house built just an empty garage lol.

An amish company got back to me and first quoted $25k for a 2 car garage with attic space so that's not bad at all. I'm going to keep hunting around. I could easily drop the dormers and just go with a nice metal roof 2 door. I've reached out to a few other companies, some modular builders in the area, says since I'm local I can expect a 30% decrease on labor so that's a plus.

Might be...but that is sort of like buying a log cabin kit....we'll get your shell up for $35,000 sucks a LOT of people into a dream

Oh...the roof...the windows...the doors...the electricity....the wiring...the door lifts....the plumbing.....the carpentry....the HVAC...the driveway....finishing (paint, etc.)....

Not meaning to poop on your parade...just ensure that you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to what you are getting for your money. The picture you originally posted is not going to go up (finished) for less than $50,000.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:04 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Not meaning to poop on your parade...just ensure that you are comparing apples to apples when it comes to what you are getting for your money. The picture you originally posted is not going to go up (finished) for less than $50,000.
Site work, excavation, trenching or a pole to run power over it, cost of actual wire, the slab itself will be very, very expensive. So many things add up.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Site work, excavation, trenching or a pole to run power over it, cost of actual wire, the slab itself will be very, very expensive. So many things add up.
All true, although if you have an electrician friend it can be done much cheaper. I had my old 2 1/2 car garage electrified with outlets, lights, and electric garage door opener installed for around $1,000 (this was 11 years ago so maybe more like $1,200-1,300 now). That was because I had a good friend who had been an electrician in a previous career help me out and I helped him with some of the labor. Having to pay for labor will probably add another $1-2,000 to the cost.

Also, not sure where you live but don't forget about permit fees. You'll likely have to get a permit from your municipality to build a garage (which means it will have to be allowed by zoning). A separate garage is considered an "accessory structure" and usually has to meet certain criteria. If you are in a rural area then you might be good and might not need a permit, but it's something you'll need to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House