Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:16 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
That is hilarious. Someone moves into an established neighborhood with a house next door and you are betting on her perspective? What? you want me to tear the garage off my house and move it to a more convienient location for the neighbor who failed to "see" the lights on the garage or take the impact into consideration? For the record. When it comes to bedroom windows, mine is invaded by a different sort of "annoyance" in the winter my neighbor warms up and drives his monster truck to work. In the summer it is the Harley. He moved in after I bought the place so due dilligence was observed. It wakes me up each and every morning! I have never complained! I did joke with him once that I about crapped myself the first morning I heard the Harley start up, but I realized that I live with other people around me who have other habits or situations I might not like. Unless I buy a huge plot of land outside of the city I and she will have to deal with it!
No, I'm just commenting on your statement as if she somehow was at fault for the fact that her bedroom was across from your garage. Unless this was new construction by her and she is the one who picked the floor plan and how the house was situated, she was subject to the same vagaries of the builder(s) and didn't have any control where her bedroom was located. It's all about perspective, and there are always going to be at least two sides to every situation.

The reality remains that a very bright light shining into your bedroom window is annoying. And those saying to get blackout curtains, what about wanting to have the window open for ventilation? Someone contributing to noise pollution is also annoying, but I wasn't aware that people got to "pay it forward" with being an annoying neighbor and if the person who lives to your right makes too much noise, then you should go ahead and shine a light into the bedroom of your neighbor to the left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:30 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
No, I'm just commenting on your statement as if she somehow was at fault for the fact that her bedroom was across from your garage. Unless this was new construction by her and she is the one who picked the floor plan and how the house was situated, she was subject to the same vagaries of the builder(s) and didn't have any control where her bedroom was located. It's all about perspective, and there are always going to be at least two sides to every situation.

The reality remains that a very bright light shining into your bedroom window is annoying. And those saying to get blackout curtains, what about wanting to have the window open for ventilation? Someone contributing to noise pollution is also annoying, but I wasn't aware that people got to "pay it forward" with being an annoying neighbor and if the person who lives to your right makes too much noise, then you should go ahead and shine a light into the bedroom of your neighbor to the left.
You are a very annoying poster! You imply that I am somehow a bad neighbor by having my lights on when I want security and have lived here with the lights on during the entire time that owner could have done her due dilligence. Also, how in the hell does me being OK with my neighbor running his vehicles in the morning make me "pay it forward" it is called getting along! We do things that annoy eachother by living in close proximty! And we get along by letting it slide! Your "pay it forward"analogy is most annoying but if you were living next door to me I would let it go cause that is what I do.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:54 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
LED are very directional, you could simply point them lower and be a good neighbor.

She could very easily install some flood lights herself and point them at your windows until you decide its not in your best interest to be a bad neighbor.

A great Australian troll about a floodlight via letters : theCHIVE

Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
If a million people in the city all left their porch lights on all night the cumulative cost would not be negligible.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:39 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Please explain to me how a screw in led light bulb in a wall mounted fixture with four sided glass is "very directional"
Four sides glass and wall mounted? So its mounted through the glass? Very confusing.....

Using a light that floods in all directions is very inconsiderate, doesn't matter who moves in next door. I dont care how long you have lived there. You should really install a different fixture.

You can have ground security lighting without light pollution next door and throughout the sky.

There is this thing about karma.... Lets say your quiet next door neighbor doesn't like your light, sells, and moves out. Next person has several barking dogs, junk cars, makes all kinds of noise and screaming children etc. You will quickly regret standing your ground on your flood lights because you have the right to do whatever the you want....

Old 12-14-2016, 09:43 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
We always leave ours on. Just a habit.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:31 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Four sides glass and wall mounted? So its mounted through the glass? Very confusing.....

Using a light that floods in all directions is very inconsiderate, doesn't matter who moves in next door. I dont care how long you have lived there. You should really install a different fixture.

You can have ground security lighting without light pollution next door and throughout the sky.

There is this thing about karma.... Lets say your quiet next door neighbor doesn't like your light, sells, and moves out. Next person has several barking dogs, junk cars, makes all kinds of noise and screaming children etc. You will quickly regret standing your ground on your flood lights because you have the right to do whatever the you want....
It just astounds me how difficult this is for you to grasp. Google wall mounted outside lighting. That is as far as i am going to go in doing your research for you! I lived here first. Someone moves in next door and now I have to go through the expense, time and effort to change something on my private property in order to please a homeowner who did not check out the house at night to see if there might be an issue? What the hell is wrong with you? How insulting! As far as Karma goes, my karma bank is full because I am a very quiet and clean neighbor! Honestly you should really stop running your mouth on this forum until you have all of the facts and know what the hell you are talking about.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:07 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
It just astounds me how difficult this is for you to grasp. Google wall mounted outside lighting. That is as far as i am going to go in doing your research for you! I lived here first. Someone moves in next door and now I have to go through the expense, time and effort to change something on my private property in order to please a homeowner who did not check out the house at night to see if there might be an issue? What the hell is wrong with you? How insulting! As far as Karma goes, my karma bank is full because I am a very quiet and clean neighbor! Honestly you should really stop running your mouth on this forum until you have all of the facts and know what the hell you are talking about.
One way to eliminate the time, expense and effort would be to tell the neighbor that you would be amenable to a change, but it would have to be at the neighbor's expense.

She may well have driven the place at night and thought "What are the odds the neighbor is such a bunghole that they won't work with me so they can have security lights without lighting up my bedroom like a prison yard?"

Old 12-15-2016, 06:20 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
If a million people in the city all left their porch lights on all night the cumulative cost would not be negligible.

You're right. I rent my house and the previous owner placed the street light fixture via the power company in the back yard since its an acre lot and behind is a pasture for the farm that was behind it. I leave my front porch light on all night - its a 40 watt bulb - for a little light in front. the deck light is on only when I come home in the evening from work or outings - and when I take the dog out to potty. I've noticed coming home lately completely dark houses and it made me think - I wouldn't feel secure coming home to a completely dark house.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
The fact that you yourself stated things that annoy you means that you DO recognize what it means to be a good neighbor and not annoy others.

This neighbor let you know about something you are causing, is annoying her and you dug your heels in and basically told her to pound sand. Your lights were always installed incorrectly and should have never been installed in such a way that it shines on the neighbors property especially the windows. The old neighbor simply didn't talk to you about it. The fact that you fail to see that and on top of that refuse to help means your simply being a bad neighbor.

Barking dogs
Good neighbor response: Sorry about that I will try to keep them quieter.
Bad neighbor response: Go to hell, I'll do what I want. I was here first.

Junk cars
Good neighbor response: Yeah, I was thinking of getting rid of them anyway, I'll start next week.

Loud music
Good neighbor response: Sorry about that I will turn it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House