Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times

Advertisements

We actually have 3 porch lights. One, we only turn on on Halloween. The other two are on motion senors. The one next to the door didn't come on until we were practically on it-which wasn't adequate for me because I am legally blind. So, we bought this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is great. It turns on as we pull into the driveway and lights up the steps to the porch-and then the other light will come on by the time we get on the porch. We don't have to worry about electricity since it is solar powered and it gives us the light we need when we get home at night.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 11:16 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
A quick apology to the OP for the thread hijack. Apparently this thread has become all about me.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:52 PM

244 posts, read 514,381 times
We have this on the side of the side of the garage and it comes on once you start up the drive way. You can angle the LED lights down and move them side to side. Its very bright and lights up the backyard too since i angled one side to be more towards the yard side. It has a motion trigger but can do dusk to dawn and turn on full power when it sees motion but I would rather let thieves bumble around in the dark than give them all the light they need to see.

Defiant 180 Degree White LED Motion Outdoor Security Light-DFI-5983-WH - The Home Depot

Old 12-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
We have this on the side of the side of the garage and it comes on once you start up the drive way. You can angle the LED lights down and move them side to side. Its very bright and lights up the backyard too since i angled one side to be more towards the yard side. It has a motion trigger but can do dusk to dawn and turn on full power when it sees motion but I would rather let thieves bumble around in the dark than give them all the light they need to see.

Defiant 180 Degree White LED Motion Outdoor Security Light-DFI-5983-WH - The Home Depot
This looks like a good option. A simple remove and replace deal.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
I want to put one in at the peak of our garage when I can find an LED that is bright enough. I am wondering whether a motion sensor light is more disruptive of sleep than a light that says on all the time. It will be visible/shine into out bedroom a little and directly into our daughters room.

Is the disturbance of it coming on and off (like when deer walk through) more of a problem than an always on light (dusk to dawn)? It seems like you might get used to the always on light, but on that clicks on and off form time to time might wake you up.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:09 PM

244 posts, read 514,381 times
Yea it was super easy to replace. There was an old light there before and when I took it off I reused the junction box and just wired up the new one super simple took 10 min max.

the light doesn't really disturb me when it goes on and off but I have blinds and then Curtains so no light really comes at night but someone without curtains might find it harder to sleep. Also depends on how light a sleeper one is.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Sure show me what you are talking about and I will consider it. have any examples?
Exanples of lights? Search your retail store of choice for "dark sky" and you'll find plenty of options that do a better job of directing the light down instead of out.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Exanples of lights? Search your retail store of choice for "dark sky" and you'll find plenty of options that do a better job of directing the light down instead of out.
Thanks

Old 12-15-2016, 05:42 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Recently, I've noticed houses without outside lights on. I wondered am I weird? I have my front porch and deck light on so I can see when I come home after work in the evenings. Where I live, there are no street lights and it puzzles me. Not many houses in my area have garages - some with carports, but they're still dark. some of the houses have the backyard street light set up - but the front of the house and driveways are dark.

do you leave lights on so when you come home it's not dark - or am I weird?
Don't need them. For the house and garage we use LED motion detectors. If we have guests coming, each one has a bypass mode so it stays on for the night and resets itself to normal mode at sunrise. For the driveway and walkways a friend on mine modified a whole load of "Mr. Beams" that use LED to run off of a DC line (converted to AC at its final point) so we wouldn't have to change the batteries. Thus we have a runway effect that only stays on while it detects motions for a certain time period.

During the winter months I too have a neighbor that for some reason (two football fields away) can see the bright LED lights from one side of my house through the trees into his bedroom. I wasn't going to argue with him, so I purchased him "Black Out" blinds for his bedroom and turned it into a inexpensive non-issue.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:42 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Please explain to me how a screw in led light bulb in a wall mounted fixture with four sided glass is "very directional" And let me get this straight. I have lived here well over a year with the exact light situation. My neighbor mentions that the light shines into her bedroom, I say the situation will not change because i need the security lighting. And i am a bad neighbor? Like i said before.....due diligence goes a long way when buying a house. Oh and by the way...the light conversation happened as I saw her planting a new tree on the very edge of my property line...in place of the one that she had cut down which obstructed a view of a nearby house nicely. She said she hoped I did not mind that she was planting the tree so close. My answer was.." it is your land. who am i to tell you what to do with it" does that sound like a "bad neighbor" answer? jeez some people! And here is the other thing! I hope my new neighbor can learn to use the blinds which are on most modern houses. it will be a small price to pay for the fact that I do not party. do not have a barking dog, do not have junk cars, do not make any kind of noise other that coming and going out of my garage. have no screaming children etc. But go ahead and explain how this makes me a bad neighbor...please!
Not to mention but there's these things called drapes? If I moved into an established area, and my neighbor's light shined through my window, I'd buy drapes. Not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House