Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM

161 posts, read 568,412 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Please tell me about your favorite (and least favorite) appliance brands--I am planning a kitchen remodel and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM

484 posts, read 1,584,510 times
My favorite overall is probably LG. I've owned several kinds (Kenmore, Electrolux, LG, Whirlpool, etc) and I think it really depends on what it is you're referring too..for example, I think LG makes the best fridges, but I think Viking makes the best stoves/ovens, etc.

The thing I like best about LG is that they always tend to have the more top of the line technology features (in regards to their refrigerators). They also have great customer service reps (very helpful and knowledgeable, and speak clear English). However, I will say that we've only owned our LG fridge for about 4 months now, so any long-term problems that may arise I'm not sure yet, but so far I LOVE it. I've also owned the LG mini-oven for quite awhile and I LOVE it. It looks great, it cooks awesome, I've never had any problems with it, and it's so easy to use and very customizable.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Over the years, Whirlpool manufactured appliances have tended to hold up the best for us. They tend to use same parts over many years, so the guts are pretty tried and true. On the opposite spectrum, GE has managed to prove itself as being the least reliable.

Whatever you end up with, we've always been firm believers of the KISS principle. Less "fancy" features means less to go wrong; the basic thermostat knob inside the refrigerator and freezer has worked for many years now ... so why spend $$$ more for one that has a touch screen to set the temperature, offers like a dozen variety of ice cubes, has a TV built in, etc.? That doesn't mean that we go for the cheapest, most basic model, but a step or two above that often yields the best bang for the buck. Weigh what your needs (as opposed to desires) are in the appliance, then work from there.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Go with a name brand and go simple.
The more bells and whistles they have the more apt they are to have problems.
When it comes to cook stoves you need heat, a timer and a clock.
A fridge just needs to be cold. I personally like the side by side style with a simple ice dispensor.
The high tech stuff is just a money grabber for the manufacturer.
Everyone wants to sell wants instead of basic needs.
Why waste money for fancy instead buying what gets the job done with simplicity and lower cost.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 AM

161 posts, read 568,412 times
Thanks--I am looking for new everything. The only special thing I would like is that I want the DW and Fridge to take a cabinet panel. Kitchenaid and Jenn-air make fridges that aren't too expensive this way (as opposed to some that cost as much as a small car!). I also am looking for an induction cooktop and a double oven if anyone has a specific recommendation for any of these appliances...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:29 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I've never had an appliance that hasn't survived beyond its normal life span (I probably shouldn't jinx it ...). I have an inherited Kenmore refrigerator that I wish would die, but it won't, and a mid-priced Kenmore dishwasher that performs like a champ. Other brands I like are GE/Hotpoint, Whirlpool and KitchenAid.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times
^

I have. Whirlpool and not a cheapo microwave it was from the "gold series" line.
It lasted 3 months. After 6 monhts the DW burned out and needed a new control panel... $250.00 repair that luckily was covered by the 1 year warranty.

Got new microwave... paid extra to get Kenmore. When the DW and range goes out, I will be replacing with Kenmore as well.

No more Whiripools for me.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
We use Kenmore kitchen appliances but have an LG front loading washer. No complaints thus far. Very simple appliances, no bells, no whistles, white easy to clean surfaces.

We have a Whirlpool brand stand-up freezer in the basement- nothing but issues. I'm ready to bash it with a sledgehammer and go get my old 1960's GM / Fridgedaire chest freezer back.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Got new microwave... paid extra to get Kenmore. When the DW and range goes out, I will be replacing with Kenmore as well.
You do realize that Sears (Kenmore) sources their appliances from Whirlpool too, right?

No one brand is truly ever perfect, but some are worse than others. Over the years within the family (mine's, parent's, sister's), we've had four GE OTR microwaves die (control board on 3, magnetron on 1), two GE fridges die due to defrost issues (one timer, one control board), a Frigidaire freezer that had a defrost issue, a GE washing machine that shat its transmission, a Frigidaire dishwasher that shat its pump motor, two door switches on a Frigidaire washing machine, and an intermittent display panel on a Bosch washing machine. All were under 5 years old at the time of their issues.

OTOH, our old Kenmore (Whirlpool) washing machine didn't need its first repair until its 14th year, and the circa '89 Whirlpool that we bought used at the Salvation Army was donated back 15 years later, still working just fine, but was replaced with a craigslist-bargain 1-year old Kenmore. The 8 year old Kitchenaid (Whirlpool) dishwasher is doing fine, as is the 5 year old Whirlpool, and both wash better than the 2 year old GE. No issues on the two Whirlpool fridges that are 3 and 8 years old, nor the 2 year old Frigidaire. The 12 year old basic GE stove has worked fine, as has the 7 year old Whirlpool and the 2 year old Kenmore.

Back to the OP ... induction cooktops haven't been all that popular here in the states, so I'd venture to say that the European and Asian sourced have an upper hand on these. I've always cooked with gas, so.

Ovens ... you'll get more bang-for-the-buck with the mainstream brands. Convection is a nice feature ... most other aspects are either aesthetics or superfluous.

Dishwasher ... there's a $600 stainless interior/panel ready at Ikea, which I won't be surprised if its very similar to a Kitchenaid panel ready, seeing how both are made by Whirlpool. Go fig that you get a longer warranty with the Ikea dishwasher too.

Fridge ... beyond recalling the old Consumer Reports that Sub-Zero has poor reliability, I don't have any real suggestions.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Ya, Kenmore sources to darn near everyone, some on spec. I've found *normally* that you can get better deals on Kenmore than paying for a similar Whirlpool or GE branded appliance somewhere else. Same warranty (or better), parts availability is okay.

It's just a tag on the machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House