Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 03:54 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of forced air heating systems. Hubby & I are starting to look at houses for retirement. Heat pumps seem to be the most commonly found heating system. I realize that electric radiators are more common in Europe. But I am hoping someone here has some experience with radiators such as these:

Choose Your Electric Radiator - Radiators from Runtal North America, Hydronic and Electric

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:58 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Lily View Post
Heat pumps seem to be the most commonly found heating system.
I am not a fan of forced air heating systems.
Oh well.

Unless your home doesn't ALSO require air conditioning you're stuck with ducts
and forcing that air around regardless of how it may be warmed up in winter.
Well, unless you're willing to install two separate systems.

As to radiators of various kinds... forced hot water usually...
the FUEL choice used to heat that water will almost always be about the COST of fuel.
(fwiw these are my favorite way to heat a home as well)

Electricity is almost always the MOST expensive choice.
Natural gas is almost always the LEAST expensive choice.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:29 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
If you want radiators look into a hot water boiler, it's an expensive installation compared to ducts.

Electric radiators may be cheap to install but it's going to be very expensive long term, emphasis on expensive. If you are spending a grand to keep a house warm with gas it might be 2 or 3 grand with the electric.... it's that much more. If you give me the local rates I can tell you exactly what it is. Even oil is currently going to be cheaper. Whatever you spend on the installation of a boiler with hot water baseboard/radiators over the cost of electric radiators will quickly be made up and it's all gravy after that.

On a side note if money is no object look into in floor radiant heating.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 AM

1,812 posts, read 4,220,896 times
I realize that cooling means forced air movement. And I've realized that natural gas with a boiler system & radiators is likely the only way to go with radiant heat from a operating cost perspective ---- assuming one can pay the initial cost to install. Radiant floors have zero appeal to me.

We're likely going to buy in SW VA. There are areas with natural gas service, but not lots.

Thank you for the responses.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
We're likely going to buy in SW VA...
Then that means air conditioning... and AC means duct work.
If you have the ductwork in place... that means it's the heating system as well.

Radiators are really not any sort of practical option.
Let alone duplicating costs with a boiler/pump/pipe system

Quote:
There are areas with natural gas service...
That's a good thing.

Gas fired equipment tends to be the best installed price choice...
and it's the best utility bill choice going into the future...
and it tends to be the lowest maintenance/service cost too

(just avoid the multi speed latest/greatest whiz bang systems
no matter what sort of hype the sales people try to convince you is true)

Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Total "cart before the horse"...

Quote:
I realize that cooling means forced air movement. And I've realized that natural gas with a boiler system & radiators is likely the only way to go with radiant heat from a operating cost perspective ---- assuming one can pay the initial cost to install. Radiant floors have zero appeal to me.

We're likely going to buy in SW VA. There are areas with natural gas service, but not lots.

Thank you for the responses.
It does not matter if you have a limitless budget and want to build a "dream home" or if you have a modest budget and just want to find an affordable place to renovate for retirement, decisions about how to heat the place are very very very far down the list!

The CLIMATE of the area you are considering has a much bigger impact on heating bills! If you are shopping in an area where there are few days below freezing that is a very different range of potential heating sources than an area with harsher climate.

Once you settle on an area and understand its climate you should spend some time evaluating the impact of proper INSULATION AND WEATHER SEALING upon the homes' utility costs -- different climates require different approaches to insulation and ventilation. Spending money getting that right is the NUMBER ONE way to ensure both comfort and budget minded operation!

The other HUGE factor is the STYLE of the home -- a home with huge cathederal ceiling has more volume of air to heat and cool than a more modestly scaled home. Homes built on slab are going to have very different thermal characteristics than those with a full basement or even an accessible crawl space. The use of well designed windows and appropriate landscaping have a remarkable impact on how comfortable a home in hot or cool weather.

Way down the list one can evaluate the use of electricity or natural gas or propane. The relative costs of heating with piped natural gas tend to be considerably more economical than other options, though in some areas there are compelling reasons to go with electricity or tank propane.

Once one has a handle on the fuel options the very minor detail of having hydronic heating, of which underfloor heating is proven to be the most unobtrusive, almost certainly should be considered for anyone building a new home. In some situations it is a good option for retrofitting an older home too. Most existing home do rely on forced air systems -- the skills to install such a system are easily found and the speed of installation is hard to beat, combined with ease of integrating heating and cooling this makes for a very cost efficient option.

Electric radiators are generally NOT desirable. High operational costs, weird "toaster effect" and similar issues make it a poor choice if there are other options.

Modern hydronic radiators are popular in Europe mostly because of the tradition of steam heat. The building styles of both single family homes and commercial residential apartments are geared toward such things but as far as truly efficient and flexible use there are better options.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:41 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post All resistive electric heating systems are equally efficient at turning money into heat

If you're building new and getting air conditioning, absolutely go with an air source heat pump (ASHP) which can also provide some heat, but keep in mind that you may need a supplemental heat source for the coldest days.

Quote:
I am not a fan of forced air heating systems. Hubby & I are starting to look at houses for retirement. Heat pumps seem to be the most commonly found heating system. I realize that electric radiators are more common in Europe. But I am hoping someone here has some experience with radiators such as these: ...
Heat pumps are great, particularly in a "mild" climate, the biggest downside is installation cost, ground source heat pumps can easily run +10x the price of a traditional system.

Electric radiators, like all resistive electric heat, are all 100% efficient, and are nearly always among the most expensive heat sources you can choose.

Runtal:
Electric wall panels are nice if you just want a little more heat in a room that wasn't properly engineered originally, like a bathroom that feels a bit chilly in the middle of winter. They look nice, but even the best designed electric wall panels tend to dump a fair amount of the heat into the wall itself instead of warming you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House