Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 02:19 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times

Advertisements

I would ask the owner of the company to come out and look at the job. I would give him the benefit of fixing it before you take him to licensing board, or get an attorney.
Yes it will be a pain to repair, because everything will have to be out of the rooms with hardwood while they do the work. And it will take several days, be very dirty, and smell.
It could be the stain and finish coat were not compatible materials. It could be the finish material was not installed properly. It could be the finish material had gone bad.

At any rate, give him an opportunity to look at the job, and make some sort of attempt to fix it. If he refuses, then you have to decide if it is worth getting an attorney and take him to court. Many times, its just not worth taking them to court. A complaint to the license board will not likely do a lot to harm him, and it won't get you anything in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:16 AM

396 posts, read 434,524 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. LI- meant the company, not "I". I appreciate all of the advice. Going to get in touch with the owner and see what he says. Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 PM

14 posts, read 11,193 times
Let me start by saying you do have to start completely over. Several factors can make the joints peel, without knowing products/procedures used couldn't give exact cause. Older houses tend to have cracks between the boards, this allows stain to soak deeper which extends the stains drying time, most of your fast drying stains have additives that have to be completely evaporated before your coat goes on, if only the joints peel that would be my best guess. A quick test to see if center of the boards will peel could point you in other directions, over buffing (floor to smooth for poly to bond) incompatable products, inadequate drying time, bad poly finish and so on. You can scratch the edge of a nickle across the board to check the bond. Best of luck

Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 AM

400 posts, read 572,790 times
I'm a bit confused as to the sequence of events, and what exactly was applied. You keep mentioning STAIN, which is a colorant but not typically a final finish. Did they also put some sort of final polyurethane or other finish on the floor? I'm assuming they did?

I can't really tell what is happening in the pictures, other than to agree it doesn't look good. If you pick at it, does it flake away? If it does flake away, you may be able to see underneath it to see what may be causing the adhesion issues.

Regardless, from the story you told about your dealings with the contractor I think you are in for some fun. I don't see a quick fix here, beside re-sand and reapply.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Similar thing happened to us. The floors blistered. Contacted the company. They got right on it. Had the product manufacturer come out and look at it. Never figured out the cause. They had to screen the floors and re coat at their cost, I felt bad for them. Sometimes it happens. Bad product? Something on your floors that is incompatible (oils or waxes)? Who knows.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Poor old oak floors...

Old 02-23-2017, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,163 times
We have this issue with our hardwoods. The stain was applied too thick, and built up in the cracks between the boards. The poly on top can't adhere well and shivers off as the boards expand and contract. The only solution is to strip the floors and redo. In our case we DIY'd and have no one to blame but ourselves. Best of luck OP, hopefully the owner will at least only charge for materials to redo. If he doesn't, time to move on. It's not a mistake that an experienced refinisher should have made.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:09 PM

14 posts, read 11,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofe View Post
We have this issue with our hardwoods. The stain was applied too thick, and built up in the cracks between the boards. The poly on top can't adhere well and shivers off as the boards expand and contract. The only solution is to strip the floors and redo. In our case we DIY'd and have no one to blame but ourselves. Best of luck OP, hopefully the owner will at least only charge for materials to redo. If he doesn't, time to move on. It's not a mistake that an experienced refinisher should have made.
Her's doesn't look to be to much stain, normally you will see dark lines at the crack which should be visible in the pic's

Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,582,697 times
How did you pay for the job? Credit Card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House