Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,788 times

Advertisements

Considering looking at a house that has a substation behind the backyard. Is there any concern for the soil? I want to garden and have pets play out there.

Any other concerns for living so close to one? I'd want to check out the noise level. Realtor seems to think property and resale value are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 02:12 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I assume it is properly fenced. During high-load times you might experience an annoying hum. In a powerful storm, the breakers and arrestors can give a brilliant (blinding) flash. You would want to know what easements there are for the company to access it.

If the lot was large, I might consider it but only with a lowball offer after doing my due diligence. The realtor wants to sell at the highest commission possible and any comments they might make are not worth the paper they are not printed on.

As for gardening, in south Florida there are many strip nurseries that utilize the land under high tension lines. IMO, a garden shouldn't be affected.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:13 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I don’t believe there would be any concern having to do with the soil. However there are other factors that should be considered before making the purchase. I’ve found both pro and con on the subject of living under or near high voltage power lines (which should include substations).

For me personally I would avoid the risk whether facts are real or fantasy there’s no one who will guarantee that there’s no effect of EMF to your health. Long term exposure would be or could be a problem so I’d avoid things that I can’t find concrete answers to and I don’t trust most any source of information.

Do high voltage power lines near a house (about 300 ... | Zillow

Buying, selling or living near an overhead line | EMFs.info

Purchasing a house near power lines?

Living Close to Power Lines | EM Watch

Everyone has an opinion however I want to see facts from reliable sources. Even if it's safe, when it's time to sale your home it could be a big issue and problem that you don't need. Why take the chance now of living there?

Old 12-24-2016, 03:11 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
The only issue is the view, plus the light level at night if the substation has security lights. Have you driven by at night yet?

Old 12-24-2016, 04:30 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Resale value, how long has it been on the market and why does the owner want to sell.
Personally I would never live near one. We had a small transformer on the corner of our ppty at another house that blew up in the middle of the night, what a nightmare afterwards. Part of fence destroyed, yard dug up and retrenched for new lines, no power for several days, a guard sitting in back yard 24 hrs a day, general mess all around.

Old 12-24-2016, 06:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
I would run, not walk, away.

Power stations aren't attractive. Do you really want to sit in your backyard and have to look at the power station?

There are definite health concerns.

Resale would be an issue for the above reasons.

Old 12-24-2016, 07:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
Nope.

One near a friend's house caught fire during a storm.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
If You bought that house and went to sell it in the future and I came along as a buyer and saw that power station back there I would immediately turn the house down. So your realtor is dead wrong about the resale not being affected......at least in my case. And i do not think I am an unusual or picky buyer.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:38 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
If you were concerned enough to ask your realtor about resale, that should be enough to tell you that others would worry about it too. It doesn't inspire confidence in your realtor that they said otherwise.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:41 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Stay away from this...it is not a good investment. Too many potential buyers will be turned off by it. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House