Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:00 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times

Advertisements

Two places for me. When I was 7 I was sleeping in a bunk bed in our basement with a concrete floor. The top bunk had no rail. I fell off one night and hit the concrete floor. None of my three brothers heard a thing. I lay on the floor moaning until morning. I had a huge swelling on my forehead. I'm sure I had a concussion. I think my dad built a side rail the next day.

I lived in Del Rio, Texas for a short time in the early 70's. I rented a little one room shack with sand floors and no air conditioning. That was pretty miserable. I only lived there for a couple months and then I hopped a plane and left. Haven't been back to De Rio yet, but I may drag my wife down there someday to have a look-see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 10:49 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We were meeting the other grandparents halfway between Iowa and Ohio, to take 2 grandsons when their parents were deployed. The other grandmother picked a hotel at random. I should have smelled a rat when I called ahead for a reservation and the person who answered said, “you don’t need a reservation.” It was crummy and in the middle of nowhere. We survived though.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:33 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Four of us slept in a 1967 Mustang in a thunderstorm by the Grand Canyon in 1972.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:08 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Two places:

One was the Gallup motel I stopped at late one night after a long day of driving. $25 for a room, in 2006. The mgr gave me a peculiar look, asking if I wanted to first see the room? I was tired and said no. Went in and saw the barest, see-through torn shreds of something resembling sheer white curtains on the windows. They provided absolutely zero visual privacy. Dingy bathroom with cracks in the shower door that had been TAPED to keep water inside. The vehicles in the parking lot looked like junkers. Hinky-looking guys stood outside smoking and watching me from the front of their rooms. I examined the mattress and all linens; no bedbugs, and the sheets were old but clean/fresh and bleached. The blanket gave me pause, so I removed it and just slept under the top sheet and bedspread (whose top I avoided touching). Literally all night long at short intervals, the doors near me opened and closed. I backed up my truck so that the topper window was right in front of my window, and I set the alarm system on.

I figured the occupants were dealing either drugs or paid sex. But nobody bothered me, and AFAIK nobody got murdered.

The other place was the bathroom floor in a remote national park, off season. Long back story to that, which I have posted elsewhere. I got locked inside, thanks to a malfunctioning door lock. That was a very hard concrete floor.

On long roads trips I have often spent a night or two on a rental car’s seat and, one time, in the back of my Wrangler all curled up on the floor because it was raining so hard I didn’t want to deal with setting up the tent or taking in its soggy wetness the next morning. ANY of those nights sleeping in any vehicle was much nicer than either of the above two places!

But...why is this thread in Houses instead of Travel?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 PM

1,665 posts, read 975,121 times
In jail, on top of an overpass right after Katrina, with Chinook and other choppers flying above, and the mosquitoes and smell...urgh!!! On a greyhound bus, on the pump panel of a fire truck, few motels...

Old 01-10-2019, 09:59 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Driver seat on a highway. The rumble strip woke me a few times until I left the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House