Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 07:49 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times

Advertisements

We have dogs and a small house. Right now one of our dogs is blowing his coat, so I vacuum at least every other day, carpets and hardwoods, plus the bathrooms twice a week. When the dogs aren't shedding badly, we vacuum twice a week at a minimum. Sheets and towels are washed once a week. Bathrooms cleaned once a week and dusting at least once a week. During the summer, I have to dust every third day or so because we live on a gravel road and I like to have my windows open, so the dust can be heavy if we don't get rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Never. Got rid of all carpet. Made my life much easier.
I vacuum all surfaces, hard and carpeted. So much more efficient and thorough than a broom, especially with cats.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Vacuum - 2-3x a week
Dust - 2-3x a week
Squeegee shower and wipe down faucets, sink and mirror daily, deep clean bathroom 1x a week

Fortunately we have a condo with no carpet, no pets and no clutter, so the above only takes a few minutes here and there. We have a cordless vacuum, so grabbing it is an easy as grabbing a broom. The entire west wall is completely glass, so when we get direct afternoon light you can see every speck of dust, and it drives me nuts when you can see bits of it on the floors and furniture.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I vacuum thoroughly once a week and touch up rooms that see a lot of traffic (the entry and dining room) whenever needed. Bedding is changed on Monday come hell or high water.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 PM

162 posts, read 199,070 times
Once a week, both dusting and vacuum. Sometimes I can go as long as 2 weeks for dusting

Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do most of you vacuum on a certain day every week? I can't seem to keep to a schedule!
Neither can I. I've never had a strict schedule. I clean something every day. Some days or weeks I do a lot of cleaning. Others, not so much. I have one cat and no carpeting. I rarely wear shoes in the house. I only do that when I'm carrying in many bags of groceries. I clean things when they look like they need to be cleaned, or when I have the time.

When I was a kid, I rally hated cleaning day. While it was necessary, it often killed Saturday for me.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,617,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
When we were growing up, we had to vaccuum, dust, and scrub bathrooms every week. After my siblings moved out, this was my job and how I made a weekly allowance. I hated the dusting every week as there was so little dust accumulation, I couldn't even see where I had dusted.

Now as an adult, I have no strict pattern. When the dust bunnies roll, I dust. Vaccuum? Rarely! I do scrub the bathrooms regularly, but again, only when it needs it. ( which is probly weekly/biweekly).

My sister was over a few days ago and started complaining that she hadn't vaccuumed this week yet. Apparently, she has continued the cleaning scheduled we had as kids. But she also clearly hates it.

So, I'm wondering how the rest of the world compares. How often do you all vaccuum the house?
Once a day (assuming that appear in my house) easy cleaning around the house, and every two weeks-cleaning (ie cleaning every centimeter of your house, including walls, ceilings). As for the bed linen every two days. Blankets and pillows once a week.
As for bathrooms, it is sometimes three times a day. Because of that, I usually take a bath three times a day
Rate this post positively

Old 01-04-2017, 05:37 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
I'm one that doesn't keep a schedule but i clean when something is dirty enough to bother me. As a single person, vacuuming doesn't seem to need to be done weekly. But like you I recall doing things on a weekly schedule as a kid.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:05 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,836 times
My irobots roomba vacuum daily. Then I start the Irobot Braava mop and it cleans the floors . I like a clean house, I have asthma, and since I have been using the vacs and mops I am doing better.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:48 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Neither can I. I've never had a strict schedule. I clean something every day. Some days or weeks I do a lot of cleaning. Others, not so much. I have one cat and no carpeting. I rarely wear shoes in the house. I only do that when I'm carrying in many bags of groceries. I clean things when they look like they need to be cleaned, or when I have the time.

When I was a kid, I rally hated cleaning day. While it was necessary, it often killed Saturday for me.
We must have a dislike for cleaning in our genes. When I was thirteen I think Mom and I had a disagreement every Saturday.

I remember the same with my own two kids. They'd put it off all day until the phone rang and a friend wanted to do something and then it was rush, rush, rush. I remember DD once saying to me, "You only had us because you wanted someone to clean your house for you."

Laughing. I sure did a poor job of training my little slaves in that case.

Now I think they are better housekeepers than I am. But sometimes I wish I had been less of a cleaner in those days. I might have put more emphasis on it than it deserved.

By contrast, in the Seventies and Eighties a woman was still very much judged by how clean her house was. Now I aim more for comfort, accommodation and what's healthy and worry less about appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House