Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:03 AM

258 posts, read 234,207 times

Advertisements

When we were growing up, we had to vaccuum, dust, and scrub bathrooms every week. After my siblings moved out, this was my job and how I made a weekly allowance. I hated the dusting every week as there was so little dust accumulation, I couldn't even see where I had dusted.

Now as an adult, I have no strict pattern. When the dust bunnies roll, I dust. Vaccuum? Rarely! I do scrub the bathrooms regularly, but again, only when it needs it. ( which is probly weekly/biweekly).

My sister was over a few days ago and started complaining that she hadn't vaccuumed this week yet. Apparently, she has continued the cleaning scheduled we had as kids. But she also clearly hates it.

So, I'm wondering how the rest of the world compares. How often do you all vaccuum the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I think that it varies dramatically.

I usually vacuum once a week and I know that at least several of my friends do that, too. But I also know people (especially with pets and/or young children) who vacuum every single day or even twice a day.

Bathrooms are cleaned at least once a week. Dusting, every week or two.

If you really want to start a conversation, ask people how often they change & wash their sheets and pillowcases.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that it varies dramatically.

I usually vacuum once a week and I know that at least several of my friends do that, too. But I also know people (especially with pets and/or young children) who vacuum every single day or even twice a day.

Bathrooms are cleaned at least once a week. Dusting, every week or two.

If you really want to start a conversation, ask people how often they change & wash their sheets and pillowcases.
Hahaha, you're not kidding!

I vacuum once a week. Dust every other week thoroughly but I dust the living room and dining room once a week. I clean the bathrooms once a week but spot clean them as needed.

I change the sheets once a week as well. I will change pillowcases more often as needed.

My mother is elderly and well, I hate to say it but though I "inherited" these cleaning patterns from her, she is definitely slipping in her old age. I mean, seriously. We got in an argument just yesterday about this, because she lives in a senior community where they will strip the bed once a week for the residents and wash the linens, as well as do other housekeeping. She's lived there about six weeks. I hate to say it but my formerly fastidious mother has a definite odor about her and I've noticed that her clothing is not clean sometimes. I said, "So tomorrow when housekeeping comes, you're going to let them wash the sheets, right?" She looked haughtily at me (no one can do haughty quite as well as my mother) and said imperiously, "You let me decide when I wash my own sheets, thank you very kindly." I have been trying to figure out how to bring up the topic of her odor, so I just went for it. I said, "Mom, you're paying for this service - why don't you just let them earn their money by washing your bedding? I hate to bring this up, but Mom - you haven't changed the sheets since you moved in. There's an odor developing."

You know what she said? She said, "I find that very hard to believe." I looked at her and said, "Right, Mom. I have a lot to gain by telling you you don't smell good. NOT. WHY WOULD I SAY ANYTHING LIKE THIS IF IT WASN'T TRUE? Do you have any idea how much I hate to even mention it?" She just said, "Well, you're the type who always thinks she's right. You're not right about this. No one else has mentioned an odor to me." I said, "And who would? EVERYONE in the family has mentioned it to me and I'm the only person brave or stupid enough to mention it to YOU!"

Honestly. I guess she can just stink then.

That bed stinks.

God, please don't let me get like that when I'm old!!!!! DELIVER ME!!!!!

You know what - if someone told me I didn't smell good, I don't think I'd react that way. I would be shocked, embarrassed, I might even cry - but I wouldn't say, "I don't believe you." I would be MORTIFIED and immediately start trying to figure out what was causing that odor.

I never will forget reading on one of these forums that some young guy was actually shocked that people washed sheets. When his got too dirty, he just went and bought new ones. About once every six months.

Lord have mercy.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:37 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,335,417 times
I vacuum once a week. Clean the bathrooms once a week.

I rarely dust.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
I vacuum every couple of days, we have 2 cats, a dog, 2 kids and dark hardwood floors. I have no choice! I clean the bathrooms once or twice a week. I dust when I see dust, which is every other week or so. Sheets are changed weekly, or more often if someone is sick.

I have friends who clean the whole house every single day. I just can't see what the point is. One of my friends honestly feels it makes her a better mom. I guess that if it relaxes her, then that makes sense, but there are plenty of things that I will prioritize over cleaning.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:25 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, a once/week schedule is hardly oppressive. Dusting weekly isn't necessary, but most other basic cleaning chores should be once/week.It's not that big a deal. I wonder if the reason it seems excessive to you is that you were forced to do it as a child. There seem to be some emotional issues there for you.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I have help and they vacuum, mop etc every other week.. If you don't have kids or messy pets that's adequate.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
Once a week? Really? Nasty! At least every other day for me at a minimum. You plug it in, run it over the carpet then put it away.....so quick and simple.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:53 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I run our ilife every night. Our cleaning ladies do the rest every 2 weeks. I wipe down counters and do laundry, picking up, etc in between. Sheets get changed every 1-2 weeks, more in the summer.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:54 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
With two cats? I have three levels in my home, and four vacuum cleaners. I vacuum the upstairs one day, the downstairs the next, the finished basement the day after that. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Before I had cats, I didn't vacuum more than once a week unless I'd spilled something or company was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House