Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times

Advertisements

All wood is like that now a 2x4 is actually 1.5 x 3.5 a 4x4 is 3.5 x 3.5. You can buy "dimensional lumber" and a 2x4 will actually be 2x4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
It was a cost saving. May not seem like much, but over millions of sheets of plywood, that adds up to big money. The change in dimensions of plywood came at a different time than that for dimensional lumber. It has been relatively recent, in lumber years, since they had to start making undersize router bits to dado for the undersize plywood. Classically a 3/4 dado for 3/4 ply. Now a 3/4 bit means the undersize ply won't fit snuggly in the cut.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:55 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Plywood also comes from slow growth trees unlike OSB so that is probably a reason too. By shaving a 1/32 off conserves a ton of trees over the long run.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Plywood Thickness | ThePlywood.com

Nominal and Actual Thickness

There are two different thickness definitions we need to keep in mind when talking about plywood; that of nominal thickness and actual thickness. Just like dimensional lumber, most plywood is rated at a nominal thickness; that is the thickness before it is sanded. The actual thickness is just like it sounds, the actual thickness of the plywood panels you buy, after sanding. Typically, the actual thickness of plywood is 1/32 inch less than the nominal thickness.
I bought BC construction grade 3/4" plywood in 1992, and it WAS 24/32nds and not 23/32nds thick. Because I used a 3/4" routing bit to make dadoes for tight crosslap joints.

A few years later, bought what I thought was 3/4" plywood BC construction grade, used the same router bit, and found that my joints were loose and wobbly. I re-measured the thickness and found it to be 23/32nds. (They now sell "special" bits for downsized lumber...)

FWIW, they shrank the "finished" size for most other lumber, too.
I doubt that they are planing / sanding more off of the nominal stock to make it that much smaller.

Is it just another case of the "Shrinking Tuna Can"?
Cans that were once 8 oz, then 7.5 oz, then 7.0 oz are now 5.0 oz and still shrinking....

Old 01-07-2017, 03:32 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
You can buy a router bit set that fits the "new" plywood. Its got three bits.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
You can buy a router bit set that fits the "new" plywood. Its got three bits.
I bought one. . .
But surprise, surprise, the nominal thickness is less than 23/32...
23/32 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. BC Sanded Pine Plywood-166057 - The Home Depot
Thickness: 0.72 (actually 0.718 for 23/32nd)
Actual Thickness: 0.703 (45/64ths)
D'Oh!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
They didn't lose 1/32 at all. The full thickness plywood is still available but retailers and lumber suppliers are also prone to selling what they can buy cheapest and make the most money. The difference is when the APA decided we needed a performance rated panel. It will structurally do the same thing as a full thickness panel will but at a reduced price, kinda like the difference between a BC panel and an AC panel. Both of those are made with exterior glue, both are finish grade but the BC allows for more face patches and is considerably cheaper. But still does the same function but at a cheaper price.The 23/32 or any of the other sizes you see for sale are "performance rated" panels and will not be full thickness. Full thick panels will be several dollars more per panel.
Want to buy some real expensive plywood? Try specing a 3/4" NB 7 core plywood. The N is extremely rare these days and means the face is flawless. In all of my years in the industry I've only seen it once and that was on a Jack in the Box. But then, those buildings are speced with an entire truckload of seismic anchors too that most of the nation will never see or need.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
They didn't lose 1/32 at all. The full thickness plywood is still available but retailers and lumber suppliers are also prone to selling what they can buy cheapest and make the most money. The difference is when the APA decided we needed a performance rated panel. It will structurally do the same thing as a full thickness panel will but at a reduced price, kinda like the difference between a BC panel and an AC panel. Both of those are made with exterior glue, both are finish grade but the BC allows for more face patches and is considerably cheaper. But still does the same function but at a cheaper price.The 23/32 or any of the other sizes you see for sale are "performance rated" panels and will not be full thickness. Full thick panels will be several dollars more per panel.
Want to buy some real expensive plywood? Try specing a 3/4" NB 7 core plywood. The N is extremely rare these days and means the face is flawless. In all of my years in the industry I've only seen it once and that was on a Jack in the Box. But then, those buildings are speced with an entire truckload of seismic anchors too that most of the nation will never see or need.
A search results in hardwood cabinet grade plywood for 3/4" NB 7 core plywood.

I asked at Home Depot and Lowes if they would order full thickness construction plywood, and they claimed it is not available. . . but -hey- what do they know?

Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,500,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
A search results in hardwood cabinet grade plywood for 3/4" NB 7 core plywood.

I asked at Home Depot and Lowes if they would order full thickness construction plywood, and they claimed it is not available. . . but -hey- what do they know?
Probably not available from their suppliers. Individual stores cannot just order materials "wherever ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House