Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,526,006 times

Advertisements

My kitchen sink got totally clogged, no movement at all. It built up gradually across weeks.

I got some Drano gel which is heavier than water and can fight clogs in standing water. I poured a very large amount in, and after two hours, nothing had happened at all. I could see that the gel looked like it went down into the drain.

When I woke up the next morning, the drain was completely cleared! What that means is sometimes you have to wait all night, not just two hours.

P.S. I've often read you shouldn't pour Drano into the garbage disposal. But the bottle said it's ok to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 06:20 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times
Glad you got it fixed. Nothing worse than a drain that is clogged.... or is there?

Old 01-07-2017, 06:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
It built up gradually across weeks.
More likely over years.
Every pan of bacon grease or fat skimmed off a soup...
Like the Sting song... they'll be watching you (from down in the pipe)

Quote:
I got some Drano gel which....
which mostly just shifts that blob of fat farther down the pipe.

Learn how to take the trap apart and clean it out (bathroom and tub too)
It isn't hard but does need doing now and then.

The real problems start when the blob gets down the pipe.
A grease clogged drain is tough to clean, but preventable

Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,689 times
Does the Drano break apart the greasy blob or just push it along down the pipe? I think I have this problem.
My kitchen sink has been very slow at draining and yesterday was pretty much blocked. I scooped out the standing water in the sink last night and this morning, there was no water in the drain hole but I'm sure as soon as I use a lot of water, it'll fill up again.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:13 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I've never had any sort of drain cleaner work. Then you have to work on the clog that is full of standing water full of lye. Most of the plumbers in my area will not work on a clogged drain if you have put drain cleaner down it.

The only thing I might try, if the clog is certain to be grease, is to pour a bottle of Fabuloso into the clogged drain. That's a floor cleaner and it cuts through grease and will open a drain if the clog is grease. Since it is basically soap, it won't blind you if it splashed back into your face while you are trying to get the clog broken free. It takes it about 24 hours to work, and it won't work if the clog is something else.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:43 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've never had any sort of drain cleaner work. Then you have to work on the clog that is full of standing water full of lye. Most of the plumbers in my area will not work on a clogged drain if you have put drain cleaner down it.

The only thing I might try, if the clog is certain to be grease, is to pour a bottle of Fabuloso into the clogged drain. That's a floor cleaner and it cuts through grease and will open a drain if the clog is grease. Since it is basically soap, it won't blind you if it splashed back into your face while you are trying to get the clog broken free. It takes it about 24 hours to work, and it won't work if the clog is something else.

The first sentence is very true. A plumber isn't going to be in any hurry to tear into a drain full of caustic goo. I don't recommend chemical drain cleaners of any kind. Particularly if the clog is solid. If there is no movement through the pipe at all it's not good to try and pour chemical in. Even if there is movement through the pipe more often than not the chemical will just stop it up tight.

When I do use chemical it's stuff that I don't want the average homeowner trying to use. I won't even say what it is. Smaller drains like sinks and tubs I have a small diameter drum snake for. Oh, and in a tub, NEVER use chemicals. Ever. Crystal Drano in particular. They react with the waxes and soaps and such from shampoo and body wash and like to boil back out which will flat ruin a tub finish. I've also seen the residue in bath lines turn to concrete, literally, from interaction with drain cleaners.

A 25 foot drum snake costs about 20 bucks. It's worth every penny. It's my go to tool for sinks and tubs. I usually run it down several times before trying the drain.I can usually tell whats down there by what I pull back out stuck to the rod. Once I get good drainage and the line is moving well I like to flush it for 20 min or so with hot water. Most of the time I'll "slug" the line. Filling a big bucket up and dumping it through while the tap is running full bore. That helps to send clingons on out to the main and wash them on down where they cant do any more mischief.

Still, I've ended up crawing under places chasing stubborn clogs. I had a section of kitchen line once that had a grease clog better than six feet long in the pipe. Seemed like it took forever for it to push out. Nasty. Be VERY cautious with Drano and such. Your dealing with some very nasty chemicals there. Things like hydrochloric/sulphuric acid which can and will react violently with the stuff that goes down drains.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Glad that it worked out well for you. I have always heard that vinegar and baking soda are good to flush down the sink drain (with hot water) to maintain and I guess hopefully prevent clogs? I have done it, and I don't get clogs. I know it would not fix the clog but I am wondering if there is any truth to that?

( I know it doesn't hurt to do it but wondering if it does in fact help).

Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
When I notice a drain is running a little slow, I use a product by Citra Solv: Citrasolv CitraDrain

It would not have helped you with your completely-clogged drain, but as a maintenance treatment, it works great. I haven't had a clogged drain in years. A bonus is that is smells fantastic (like orange oil).

Glad your drain cleared eventually!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:41 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I was told not to put it into a drain so the plumber does his magic when I have some other issue

Old 01-08-2017, 07:38 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Try to prevent it in the future by keeping a jar with a lid near your sink, and draining your cooking fat into it, and not down the drain. That's what I do.
Other than that I noticed that nothing works better than a toilet plunger - well you should have one just for your sinks.
We had a similar thread recently where I posted a great link about it. Try to find it using forum search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House