Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 AM

323 posts, read 1,968,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Makes sense to me... I can appreciate the effort it takes to make something period correct... be it a home of antique automobile.

When was your home built? I've worked on a number of Craftsman Bungalows from the teens and twenties.
1898. Here's a picture taken a couple of winters ago:

Tile would be correct as well but we don't really want it. Wood would also be correct but I always imagine problems with wood floors in bathrooms - though I suppose we could try to find Teak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 11:10 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Looks like your home would match a number of homes in Alameda CA... Lots of shipwrights that applied their craft to home building at the turn of the century... Congrats on going true to form... I think all of the similar Alameda homes I've seen have the small white mosaic tiles in the bath... mostly white with black accents.

Some of my 20's Craftsman Homes still have the original lino with inlaid feature strips and borders... One tenant thought she would surprise me by putting down press and stick tiles... it ruined the original floor and wouldn't stay down. I put down Designer Solarium with cove and hard cap.

Have you ever seen a lino "Throw Rug"... They were sold as an area rug to go over Hardwood, but made of Linoleum.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-01-2008 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 08:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Along these same lines...a house from 1872. We also want linoleum but are leaning toward the squares and oblongs that can make a pattern. Our kitchen floor probably has 4 layers of something on it, the top being a cheesy vinyl...so when we start digging will we have to remove the linoleum that I am positive is under there somewhere to lay new, or can the adhesive for other surfaces be sanded down?

I'd love to go all the way to the original floors but they are probably ruined by now...and I don't know that my budget and my "want to" match up.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
OMG, I LOVE your house! I can understand your desire to stick with period decor and furnishings. I also wish you woud share interior pics of your home, so I can be green with envy.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Looks like your home would match a number of homes in Alameda CA...
But we couldn't afford it there. Not to mention I really wanted four seasons - and boy did we get that this year

Quote:
Lots of shipwrights that applied their craft to home building at the turn of the century... Congrats on going true to form... I think all of the similar Alameda homes I've seen have the small white mosaic tiles in the bath... mostly white with black accents.
Or white with green seems to have been popular. The lino price came back today a bit higher than I'd anticipated but SWMBO is still leaning that way. Installed price is a bit over $10/ft^2.

Thanks to all who replied here - we found a reasonably local flooring store that had samples of both the Armstrong and Forbo. We're going with the Forbo.

Quote:
Have you ever seen a lino "Throw Rug"... They were sold as an area rug to go over Hardwood, but made of Linoleum.
Never seen one - just read about them for the first time in a recent OHJ.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
OMG, I LOVE your house! I can understand your desire to stick with period decor and furnishings. I also wish you woud share interior pics of your home, so I can be green with envy.
Sure, here are a few:

Old 02-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Nice house. Mines 1850 but its a country house so I dont have all your spiffy doodads.

These lino rugs are a little pricy but I thought you might enjoy them.

Secondhand Rose -- Linoleum

Im not sure how big your bath is but I kinda like the tiles with a plank border. Or maybe a B&W checkerboard ?..

Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Along these same lines...a house from 1872. We also want linoleum but are leaning toward the squares and oblongs that can make a pattern. Our kitchen floor probably has 4 layers of something on it, the top being a cheesy vinyl...so when we start digging will we have to remove the linoleum that I am positive is under there somewhere to lay new, or can the adhesive for other surfaces be sanded down?

I'd love to go all the way to the original floors but they are probably ruined by now...and I don't know that my budget and my "want to" match up.
Be careful when youre taking up your floor. Sometimes theres a fine vintage floor under there that got covered up cause it wasnt "modern" enough.

Bare wood wasnt a normal kitchen floor for that era so your floor might be in good condition under all that if you havent had any serious water problems. I took mine down to the original pumpkin pine. Lots of work but not much $ .

A little damage adds character but if theres too much character you could always do a painted floor. Google floor cloths for some period patterns.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:35 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
I have found that the Forbo people in particular seem to want to get their product out there,. So they may be a little happier to do a small order.

Also I like forbo with the thick padded backing. If you have a bad back or are on your feet a lot (probably not the case in a bathroom) it is great. Also another advantage- no bare feet on a cold tile floor in the morning. The stuff will last forever- so choose color/pattern carefully.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
What an absolutely beautiful home!!!!!!!!

I am seeking new flooring for the kitchen of my very humble home. The Armstrong company's website is helpful. You can find dealers in your area that sell what you want and the website also has a program that allows you to try on different vinyl patterns and colors in various rooms. It's cool because you can change the colors of the walls, cabinets, etc. I'm seriously considering the old-fashioned black and white checkerboard pattern for my kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House