Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 48,715 times

Advertisements

I need to know what has happened to my hot water in my home. We have had some freezing temperature for the last week. Water heater is electric. Cold water works just fine. What could be the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Do you mean there is no water at all, hot or cold, coming from the hot faucets ?
In which case you may have a frozen pipe.

Or do you mean the water that is coming from the hot faucet is cold instead of hot ?
In which case either the heater has failed, or its circuit breaker has tripped.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Probably a frozen pipe-
Hot water lines will usually freeze first.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
If cold water is coming out of the hot water tap, first check the circuit breaker for your electric hot water heater to see if it's tripped. It's very common for the heating elements to burn out in the hot water heater. You can usually buy new heating elements (there's two if your tank is at least a 30 gallon) at your local hardware store.

Fairly easy for anybody even slightly handy to replace with a screwdriver and channellocks, just shut off the electric breaker first.

IF you replace the element, make SURE the tank is completely refilled with water BEFORE you flip the breaker back to ON.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJtaeUABJ7s

Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Question No water comes out, or cold water comes out?

I have one kitchen faucet supply line which sometimes freezes when it gets really cold and windy outside. I solved the problem by installing a thermostatically controlled heat tape, and insulating the pipe as best I could. The heat tape draws about 20 watts, and only turns on when the sensor (which is taped to the coldest part of the pipe) detects near-freezing temperatures. Total cost was about $20 and maybe a dollar a year in electricity, versus +$100 for a plumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Probably a frozen pipe-Hot water lines will usually freeze first.
Agreed -- if not even cold water comes out of any hot water tap, and it's been really cold lately, most likely cause is a frozen pipe near the heater itself. Could be a supply line leading into the heater, or an output pipe.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:26 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari Byrd View Post
I need to know what has happened to my hot water in my home. We have had some freezing temperature for the last week. Water heater is electric. Cold water works just fine. What could be the problem.

How old is your hot water tank?

Check and feel if it is warm.

If it is cold go check if the breaker tripped. Suppose it is tripped. Flick it back on and watch to see if it trips again. If it doesn't the water should be able to reheat. But if the water tank does not heat up get an inspection. Then you will know if you need a new one.

Note that the water heater should be on it's own circuit. If the panel is old the breakers might have deteriorated. You could try replacing it but you have to disconnect the wire leading to it then attach the new one before you place a fresh breaker. I wouldn't do this on my own. It's dangerous.

It shouldn't be cold enough in your house to freeze any pipes.

It sounds to me like you are in a mobile home.

It's -40 here today.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
How old is your hot water tank?

Check and feel if it is warm.

If it is cold go check if the breaker tripped. Suppose it is tripped. Flick it back on and watch to see if it trips again. If it doesn't the water should be able to reheat. But if the water tank does not heat up get an inspection. Then you will know if you need a new one.

Note that the water heater should be on it's own circuit. If the panel is old the breakers might have deteriorated. You could try replacing it but you have to disconnect the wire leading to it then attach the new one before you place a fresh breaker. I wouldn't do this on my own. It's dangerous.

It shouldn't be cold enough in your house to freeze any pipes.

It sounds to me like you are in a mobile home.

It's -40 here today.
Who are you advising? this is a 2-year-old thread, and the OP has never returned.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Who are you advising? this is a 2-year-old thread, and the OP has never returned.
Try 4 years old!

Old 02-15-2021, 01:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Try 4 years old!
You're right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House