Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times

Advertisements

What about a circular drive that passes in front of your front door and back down to the street on the other side of your property? Or even a partial one that curves off the current drive and just places a parking pad in front of the door but ends there? May not look ideal since your land doesn't appear to be huge (and that style often seems rather 'grand' so it could do with a house that matches it or vice versa) but it could be practical and the actual pad or drive could be hidden by a row of bushes on the street side of the curve - and the land closest to the door appears to be flatter than the rest of the lawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
I dont think the town will allow a parallel type space.

I'm worried they won't even let me widen. I don't know how the previous owners dealt with it for so long.
Sadly, what *you* think in this case is not relevant.
You need to find out from your city codes what *is* and what *is not* allowed.

As I mentioned before, if you own all the way to the curb, then why can you not park right on your lawn next to the curb, whether it is perpendicular or parallel ... ?

Being worried is not going to help, and neither is, *us* here, trying to give you suggestions.
You *must* find out yourself in your city what is allowed !

Make a small sketch of your property, with some measurements, like the width of your property.
Also where, as exact as you can, is the existing driveway located, and the walk way up to house.
How far back is the front of your house located, etc, etc.
*Armed* with this sketch, find out what you could do.

If you want to do what I suggested above, use Google Earth again (that is how you made the picture above ?) and use *satellite view* to get an idea what your property looks like. Use that picture to add measurements.

I am sure the city will be able to help you !
If nothing can be done, then ...

Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ13 View Post
I recently bought a home with a terrible driveway.
What specifically makes it terrible in your eyes?

It looks fine to me... like the driveways in many small towns around me. And it served previous residents well, or else they would have changed it.

My driveway is far steeper than that, and we do not consider it terrible. It is not problem at all, unless there is a huge snow fall. Then we have to clear two tire paths at the minimum to leave home!

So what makes it so terrible to YOU?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Get rid of the steps and expand the driveway to the right. It will be the same steepness as your current one. You will need to lose the tree so you may have problem with getting rid of the tree. Check with your township for codes. You will need some sort of retaining wall with the new driveway.

Your neighbor on the other side (with the driveway in front of the house).. Now that is ugly. Functional but ugly.

I think the front of your home will look so much better widening it and redoing the walk up.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Get rid of the steps and expand the driveway to the right. It will be the same steepness as your current one. You will need to lose the tree so you may have problem with getting rid of the tree. Check with your township for codes. You will need some sort of retaining wall with the new driveway.

Your neighbor on the other side (with the driveway in front of the house).. Now that is ugly. Functional but ugly.

I think the front of your home will look so much better widening it and redoing the walk up.

......."check with your township "..

Looking at the OP's photo, it appears his house is within a city limits.

City codes are usually more stricter than township codes.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:30 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
One way or another... you're gonna need to remove a lot of soil.
That means renting/hiring at least a bobcat and having a place to put what you dig out.
(on your lot or maybe a neighbor is low)

Then you build some retaining walls; maybe terraced some to be prettier.
The you dump a load of gravel to avoid permeable surface fees.

The BEST spot is to the RIGHT of the existing driveway.
That means removing that too close to the street tree as well.

It might also mean rebuilding the front walk/stairs.
Or incorporating that with the retaining wall design.

hth
"then you dump a load of gravel "

Many city codes require driveways to be concrete or paved.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
......."check with your township "..

Looking at the OP's photo, it appears his house is within a city limits.
IDK... OP says town, which usually means town (surprise!) or borough.
I doubt it is a city!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
"then you dump a load of gravel "

Many city codes require driveways to be concrete or paved.
True. But they usually aren't as rigid about the sort of parking pad that this is about.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What specifically makes it terrible in your eyes?

It looks fine to me... like the driveways in many small towns around me. And it served previous residents well, or else they would have changed it.

My driveway is far steeper than that, and we do not consider it terrible. It is not problem at all, unless there is a huge snow fall. Then we have to clear two tire paths at the minimum to leave home!

So what makes it so terrible to YOU?
My thoughts exactly. If he considers that steep, he would think my driveway is vertical.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Where are u located?

I had exactly the same driveway in Northern NJ. Took about fifteen minutes to shovel it, and the sun melted it clear by days end.

Never had a problem, except backing a boat trailer into the drive, and then I put down a board to get over the edge by the street.

I know certain home items can give you fits, but really, you have nothing to worry about. It is what it is. 360 days a year you zip into the garage. Five days a year you leave the car stuck in the driveway if you don't shovel it first.

I dealt with it no problem. City is never going to allow you to rip out the front yard for a circular drive---only one entry from a lot onto a street, and I bet they bring up the drainage issue from having your front yard paved over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House