Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:46 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

Advertisements

I used to date a former mortuary employee who kept an antique carved wooden coffin in his living room and had a bottle of embalming fluid on a windowsill. It smelled like strawberry pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Just visit this web site your needs to see weird things in houses will be fulfilled. The "clutter" category to the left is fun.

Ugly House Photos — Phoenix Area Homes With Clutter, Ugly Décor, and Bad Taste

Of course it has to be Phoenix area homes. (but now I don't feel so bad!)

Old 01-15-2017, 01:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I knew a family that had so much crap in the house, and there was a path to get through the living room. The carpet and floor tile had been worn through down to the bare wood. One day the son cleaned everything out and there was fresh carpet (and tile underneath it) on both sides of the path.
Their stove was next to the fridge, and the side of the fridge was covered in grease. In the bathroom, the sink was loose. That was from the old lady leaning on it to get her short, fat legs over the side of the tub. When the sink was too loose for her to lean on, she washed her hair in the kitchen sink. Meaning she could no longer shower.
In the basement where another son tried to commit suicide, they never cleaned up the blood. The stain remained on the floor.
The parents slept on their recliners, there was too much crap packed in the rest of the house. Pure slobs. But they went to church every Sunday, and their self righteousness was never ending. I'm very happy that I no longer know any of them.
Very sad. Sounds like a very troubled family needing some medical help and therapy.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:23 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
After appraising over 16,000 homes in crazy Los Angeles, where do I start ?

1. A home in ritzy Hancock Park where the entire floor on the first floor was clear Lexan panels with water underneath and a couple dozen giant Koi fish swimming everywhere.

2. The two story foyer of a Disney Exec's home had an actual car from the Dumbo ride at Disneyland suspended from the ceiling.

3. A 6' X 6' hole in the middle of a living room, right down to the dirt, where the previous owner had died and "melted" through the floor. It was to be repaired.

4. A 22,000 sq ft home in Bel Air with a 36 car subterranean garage.

I could go on.....

Please do!

Old 01-15-2017, 03:29 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A guy who worked as a chef invited my husband and I and another couple over for dinner at his apartment. Food was great, but it was summer and there was a fully decorated artificial Christmas tree in the dining room. Our host said he had nowhere to store it, so he just left it up all the time and plugged it in at Christmas.
When I was a poor starving student, I had this little fake Charlie-Brown-style Xmas tree. I just left it up year round and re-decorated as each holiday rolled by. I had little red hearts for Valentines day, red white and blue was for both Memorial Day and 4th of July - and flag day, come to think of it. Pumpkins and the like for Halloween.

It started because I left it up and decorated and someone made a snide remark about it - so I just started decorating it for whatever holiday was next.

Truth is - I just like Xmas trees. I didn't WANT to put it away.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 AM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times
My strangest---seeing a dead cat in someone's freezer (in a black bag, waiting for ground to thaw so they could bury it)....that, and in another house where dog waste was left all over the floors as the owner tired of picking it up. The smell was horrendous.

Last edited by Austin023; 01-15-2017 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-15-2017, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 23,250 times
Default House heater

My forced hot air carrier house heater and air conditioner compressor come on at the same time since having new wiring and thermostat any input please

Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
At the price they charge for some of those trees, some, especially the elderly who may not have a lot of years yet to enjoy them or may not be able to easily disassemble/assemble them on their own, might indeed decide to leave them up all year long.

I can see being tempted myself (I just bought my very first artificial tree at the age of 67) but I think I may at least take the ornaments off so I have the fun of putting them back on again each year. If I left it up I might also plug it in once in a while - twinkly little lights are nice at any time of the year.

I have a friend who does exactly as your dinner host does though because the only place she has to store hers is upstairs and she can no longer manage to get it there up the very steep stairs. Luckily she has a very large room (dubbed the ballroom) that is not used much during the year (no one sees it but family) so the 8 foot tree - all decorated - remains there fully assembled year round.
This guy was in his 30s at the time.

I am 58, and for the first time, I actually thought about buying a fake tree this year. I love a real tree, but I live alone and my only daughter wasn't coming until Christmas Eve. But, I went ahead and got a real tree, a somewhat small one, and then I invited over a neighbor/friend who is in her 70s and doesn't put up a tree anymore to come help decorate. I made pasta and had some wine and she had a blast putting the ornaments on it.

Then earlier this week I undecorated and took out the tree and remembered what a mess it was to clean up after Christmas...so we'll see about next year!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Friend of mine has a whirlpool in her living room. She is single, and an owner of a very busy catering company, so she gets pretty tired by the end of the day. Soaking and relaxing in a hot tub, with a glass of wine and a movie is her way of recharging energy. No doubt - one of few people I know, who lives in their home the way they want, regardless what others might think.
ATTAGIRL!
Seems to me putting a TV near the tub would have been easier.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:44 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Very sad. Sounds like a very troubled family needing some medical help and therapy.
That silly cow thought she was perfect. She refused all help unless she needed money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House