Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 11:48 AM

12 posts, read 12,024 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying my first house. Just made an offer which was accepted, had an inspection which my realtor recommended, and the inspector said that the house has a lot of electrical issues, some potentially dangerous. He recommends me hiring an electrician to do a complete electrical inspection to determine everything that would be needed to make it safe. How much would this typically cost? What all would he look at (or do)? How long would all this take?

Thanks!
Kaitlyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:51 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
A good electrician can look at the home inspector report and give you a fairly good idea of what will be needed, and what it will cost. They will likely want to follow up with a site visit too. It all depends on what was called out, and what is needed.
Some electricians would do this for free, others might charge a minimal fee.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Some electricians would do this for free, others might charge a minimal fee.
Free for an existing owner...

But most good business people would also offer that amount off the job costs
if/when they actually get the job.

Either way though... the inspection needs to be done
and I'd INSIST that the owner do any repairs BEFORE you buy

Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Be selective in finding an electrician. Many will say you need upgrades or "repairs" that are either unnecessary or not a big enough risk to justify the cost.

outlets not grounded? That may or may not be a problem. What will you use them for? Can you just ground a few where necessary? Can you just put in GFCI outlets? A lot depends on how you wlll use the outlets, your level of risk tolerence, and the cost.

Knob and Tube wiring? Often does not require replacement. Check allt he terminations. With old K & T often, once you start messing with it, you are going to have to replace most or all teh wiring.

Fuses instead of breakers?
Big expense to change out. Fuses work. They are less convenient, and can be hard to find replacements. Hundreds of thousands of homes still have fuses though. Unless you are underpowered, I would not change it out unless you are going to just re-wire entirely.

Many things could be labled "dangerous" that are not really a significant risk. Many of our newer safety requirements are to prevent an idiot from hurting themselves.

If you upgrade, you will have to completely meet code. That means outlets every 6 feet, arch fault protection in bedrooms, GFCI in bathrooms and kitchen, it can be very expensive (i.e. $5,000 - $10,000 for a small house).

However if you need it to feel comfortable do it. Once it is done, you should be good for life unless they mess it up.

If you re-wire, go to 200 amp. that way you will be set for the future.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:57 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Since it's your first house, be sure to keep in mind any expiration dates in your contract....the expiration of your inspection period by which time you need to let it be known if you have a problem or if you're going through with it or if you're cancelling. Some areas I'm familiar with take getting no response by a certain date as approval and going ahead with the contract.

Then, if you get in a negotiation period after the inspection period...check on the same...any dates, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House