Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:53 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

I try to keep my kitchen appliances and gadgets at a minimum, if I don't use it I want to get rid of it.

Do I need to keep my electric hand mixer if I have a Kitchenaid and an immersion blender?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I try to keep my kitchen appliances and gadgets at a minimum, if I don't use it I want to get rid of it.

Do I need to keep my electric hand mixer if I have a Kitchenaid and an immersion blender?
There are times when, while making a cake, I wish I had a second KA bowl to whip egg whites without washing the first bowl. That's when my electric hand mixer comes in handy.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:20 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:

I only have an immersion blender and a hand mixer. (never had the need for a KitchenAid)
The hand mixer DOES have three sets of beaters though!

Old 01-18-2017, 06:29 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:

You mean a Kitchenaid stand mixer? I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer as well as a Kitchenaid hand mixer. I consider both to be necessary in my kitchen - they are used for different recipes - not at all the same uses. I feel the same about the immersion blender. I would want to keep all three.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,142 times
I have to agree. I have a stand mixer, hand held, and immersion blender - all serve different purposes. I'd keep it.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:56 PM

711 posts, read 688,884 times
I got rid of the immersion blender and kept the KA handmixer. The immersion blender wasn't a KA - but it wasn't all that powerful and couldn't seem to accomplish what I wanted.

I do wish that KA would come out with a beater attachment for the handmixer that was a little longer than the standard beaters. It would make it easier to make use of the handmixer as an immersion.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:59 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
I don't want you to get the idea that I cook like this all the time, but for a special occasion I made a cake with frosting from scratch. There was a point in the frosting recipe where I was supposed to blend it at slow speed, while cooking over a low heat in a double boiler. Can't do that with a stand mixer (which I have). So I thought "what the heck, my great-grandmother did this with a fork and elbow grease"... well, that didn't work out so well. About the third batch I managed to get the trick of heating for a bit then taking it to the stand mixer and back and forth, but it was a huge PITA. I understood why my grandmother had bought a hand held mixer as soon as ever she could. (unfortunately it developed a terminal case of bad insulation as I discovered after being damn near electrocuted, so had to throw it away.) I think the little immersion hand held blender would be way too fast and inadequately powered.

I would vote for hanging on to the hand held blender. The best one was the one my grandmother had (pre-electrocution, that is) which could mount to a stand with a dovetail mount, or be taken off it and used hand held. We have the immersion blender, but honestly I have not found that it's much of an improvement over a potato masher for breaking up stuff in soups which is what we bought it for. If you really felt compelled to get rid of one I would get rid of that one and keep the hand held.

YMMV, as they say, so keep in mind that's just one opinion.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:28 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
I would keep them all but then I am a kitchen gadget junkie (and I have 2 KAs, 2 hand mixers, and 2 immersion blenders (plus a Vitamix and a Thermomix - either of which can also be used for some baking tasks in a pinch). It's a sickness.

In your case though, why get rid of the little things that you probably will at some time have a use for and curse the day you got rid of them? The KA is the big thing that might make a space difference if you got rid of it, but the others are relatively small. If you were asking whether to also buy a hand mixer if you didn't already have one perhaps the answer would be no .. for what you say you may need it for .. but I would not get rid of one that you already own if possible. I am pretty sure you may regret it some day if you don't keep it.

Immersion blenders need to be used from the bottom up .. in other words, put the base on the bottom of the pan and lift it slowly till you reach the surface and then put it back down under again and repeat. I cannot imagine, unless the one you have is a dud, that it would not work MUCH better than a hand masher for soups if you do it right.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I got rid of my hand mixer about four years after I got the kitchenaid. The hand mixer was actually one with a stand and bowls that detached to use as a hand mixer, but I just never used it so I gave it away.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
I have a big red KitchenAid mixer and a KitchenAid hand mixer. I'd get rid of the stand mixer first. Big and heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House