Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:31 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,883,787 times

Advertisements

I go along with the "NO" guys, every time I've called, they have some excuse why that item isn't covered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 11:59 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,638,436 times
well....

Someone who use to work for AHS told me this little tidbit. If you don't do a proper maintenance on your covered possessions once a year, then they could revoke your claim. That's how they get away from not paying their claims. But he also advised me to read the contract carefully.

If you're going to get one, i heard sears have some solid selections where they come out and do a quick maintenance once a year on your covered appliances. (i don't know if that's true but that's where i read somewhere)

Funny story: I had AHS for about two years, and i cancelled them two weeks ago because I had enough retention to fix my own problems and I never had anything break. ONE FREAKING WEEK LATER, my garage door wasn't functioning; the springs snapped in half. Since i had my garage covered, it was possible that they would've fixed it for my trip charge, but since i cancelled them last week, i had to pay out of pocket for the repairs. That's how the ball bounces sometimes...

Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,363,799 times
We've got two AC zones in our house. One AC is five years old and one is original to the house - twenty years old. We've had issues with it twice now. We've called the home warranty folks both times and had it fixed for $60 each time, when the repairs would have been about $400 each time. So I'm happy.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:48 AM

5,804 posts, read 6,853,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
I would have to disagree with the above. Have had AHS for quite a while and it works great; especially for the rental property. Actually had them come out and fix ACs, shower issue, replace garbage disposal, etc.. Only paid the 100 IIRC deductible and labor and parts were free of charge. For when my ACs were acting up, the only thing I did have to pay for, given an older AC unit was the cost of the refrigerant, since R22 (?) is being phased out and is not used in newer units. I believe AHS works everywhere; they contract with local companies. You will have to wait I believe 14 days once you get signed up in order to be eligible for a service call.
Just like extended warranties on appliances & electronics, there are always a few that it works out to be a good deal. However, for most, it usually is not. A common tactic reported is to stall long enough that the homeowner tires of waiting and fixes it themselves (such as when the AC goes out in the middle of the summer).

Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM

857 posts, read 835,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just like extended warranties on appliances & electronics, there are always a few that it works out to be a good deal. However, for most, it usually is not. A common tactic reported is to stall long enough that the homeowner tires of waiting and fixes it themselves (such as when the AC goes out in the middle of the summer).

As I have mentioned earlier, I had AC go out in the summer, with tenants in the rental property. AHS had folks out there pretty fast and they fixed it. I have dual ACs and ended up replacing one, since it was going out anyway and I did not feel like paying for the refrigerant every time it leaked out. Also, as mentioned earlier, I have had a great experience with them; never had any of my handful claims get denied or stalled. They did also respond to some "emergency" situations very fast. All in all, around $60 a month, is very worth it to me. Also, with them, if I am not mistaken, you pick 10 things you want covered from the list, AC being one of them. Not sure how other areas of the country work with them, but here, in the DC area, I have had no issues with them.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,565,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We've called the home warranty folks both times and had it fixed for $60 each time....
And how much in annual fees have you paid?

One number without the rest is meaningless.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,445,266 times
Some people who bought home warranties and continue to renew them will have to say they are wonderful and worthwhile. Otherwise they have to admit to making a poor choice. However if you look at any consumer advocacy or economic source, study, poll, test, analysis etc. 100% say they are a bad deal and a poor use of your moeny.

Sometimes, I am skeptical about such studies, polls, analysis etc, but these are consitent with everything I have learned form personal experience and from discussing with friends who have also bought these home warranties. ("Ooops - that was a bad idea").

From a practical point of view they limit and exclude nearly everything. From a financial/actuarial point of view the cost for the risk you are shifting is one of the worst deals out there.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM

857 posts, read 835,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Some people who bought home warranties and continue to renew them will have to say they are wonderful and worthwhile. Otherwise they have to admit to making a poor choice. However if you look at any consumer advocacy or economic source, study, poll, test, analysis etc. 100% say they are a bad deal and a poor use of your moeny.

Sometimes, I am skeptical about such studies, polls, analysis etc, but these are consitent with everything I have learned form personal experience and from discussing with friends who have also bought these home warranties. ("Ooops - that was a bad idea").

From a practical point of view they limit and exclude nearly everything. From a financial/actuarial point of view the cost for the risk you are shifting is one of the worst deals out there.
I would have to somewhat disagree, given my personal experience. Also, some people buy life insurance, sign up for AAA, pay for more than just a state minimum for car insurance, etc. These are just their ways of mitigating various forms of risk. Others may just have a rainy day fund instead and opt to pay up per repair, accident, etc. accepting a different degree of risk; all depends on the person. Having had to shell out large amounts of money for repairs in the past, I am better off for paying for a home warranty. If nothing happens, I accept the $60 a month fee. Sure, some claims may get potentially denied, but I would rather have the option of submitting a claim. So far, my monthly dues have been well worth it due to the costly repairs made at no cost to me, other than a deductible.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,363,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And how much in annual fees have you paid?

One number without the rest is meaningless.
Less than $400 a year - and both years the repairs would have been about $400. So far so good I guess. Plus we do have coverage for other items. Our house is 20 years old and has a lot of original "parts."

I do not recommend home warranties for newer construction but with older construction it can be money well spent.

Oh, and the first year it was paid for by the former owner so we've only paid for it one year. So we've spent $520 and gotten at least $800 in repairs.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,787,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Less than $400 a year - and both years the repairs would have been about $400. So far so good I guess. Plus we do have coverage for other items. Our house is 20 years old and has a lot of original "parts."

I do not recommend home warranties for newer construction but with older construction it can be money well spent.

Oh, and the first year it was paid for by the former owner so we've only paid for it one year. So we've spent $520 and gotten at least $800 in repairs.
Yup, we pay approximately $400 per year and our co-pay for any covered service is $65. We have never had them try to get out of fixing items for us. Within a month of when we first got our home warranty, our refrigerator died. They offered to either replace it, or send us a check. We opted for a check because we wanted the refrigerator sooner rather than later, plus we wanted to shop around and get exactly what we wanted (our warranty company uses Sears for repairs and replacements).

Not long after that, we had several issues with our heat pump. First with the heat in the winter and then with the air conditioning in the summer. They always had someone out within 24 hours and got things running again.

When we put that house on the market and it went under contract, the inspection found some wiring issues and plumbing issues. The warranty covered having someone come out and repair those for us, too.

Our "new" house is 21 years old and most of the items in it are original. We have a warranty on this house, too. Since we don't have the knowledge or ability to fix any of the items covered under the warranty, it's well worth the $400/year to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House