Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2017, 02:26 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,172 times

Advertisements

I need to buy a new window unit for a large master bedroom. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that is quiet and efficient? Or any new technology I''ve not heard of that would take the place of window units?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 04:45 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,096,099 times
You didn't say how large your b/r is, or what you have electrical wise to power it, so I'll just throw this out there. I have one, and so far is a great unit.

Sears.com

Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Thanks, I've had an 8,000 BTU in it before and that seemed to work fine. I was looking at that model online too.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
If you had an 8000 btu unit, an 18,000 btu unit is WAY too big. You might want to look at a 10,000 maybe but nothing larger. I'd also suggest somewhere other than Sears especially if you intend to buy any additional warranty. Sears MIGHT still be in business by the end of 2017. They're in real hard times and are not expected to survive. They've already sold off the Craftsman name to Black and Decker. The Kenmore name is now owned by Toshiba.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 452,847 times
I have had a Fedders 5,000 BTU unit fail after one year of occasional use. Don't buy cheap -- it's more expensive in the long run.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
I have had a Fedders 5,000 BTU unit fail after one year of occasional use. Don't buy cheap -- it's more expensive in the long run.
Thanks, would you say that LG and Frigidaire are a couple of the better brands?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:06 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
OP, I have 3 of these -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F4TH6G/ -- and have had no problems with them at all. One is in my master bedroom (25' x 13'6" overall including the dressing area, although the bedroom proper is about 17' x 13'6"), one in my living room (23' x 13'6"), and one in my home office (10'6" x 13' I think). I bought the first two in 2012 and they have worked great for 5 summers (that's really the only time we need them up here in New Hampshire). Note, these are listed as being for "up to 150 square feet," but I find them to work VERY well even in these larger rooms, especially at reducing humidity (which is more of a problem than heat, up here).

I also bought one by the Keystone brand -- had never heard of it but it was the same specs as the Frigidaire, just cheaper and came with a remote control. That's in my second-floor back hall, which serves 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom. It looks like it's no longer available. (I keep meaning to move it to the master bedroom, where the remote control could come in handy when I wake up to a FREEZING bedroom at 2 a.m.)

And I bought another Frigidaire but an 8,000-btu model for my TV room (12'6" x 17'6" or so). Don't know why I went with such a higher-level model -- probably it was on sale.

I have had no problems at all with any of them -- but then again, we actually NEED a/c's only maybe 15-20 days/year up here. Might not sound like much, but on those days you'll be miserable without them.

I think you may need to use them a bit more in Arkansas?

Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I have 3 of these -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F4TH6G/ -- and have had no problems with them at all. One is in my master bedroom (25' x 13'6" overall including the dressing area, although the bedroom proper is about 17' x 13'6"), one in my living room (23' x 13'6"), and one in my home office (10'6" x 13' I think). I bought the first two in 2012 and they have worked great for 5 summers (that's really the only time we need them up here in New Hampshire). Note, these are listed as being for "up to 150 square feet," but I find them to work VERY well even in these larger rooms, especially at reducing humidity (which is more of a problem than heat, up here).

I also bought one by the Keystone brand -- had never heard of it but it was the same specs as the Frigidaire, just cheaper and came with a remote control. That's in my second-floor back hall, which serves 2 bedrooms and a full bathroom. It looks like it's no longer available. (I keep meaning to move it to the master bedroom, where the remote control could come in handy when I wake up to a FREEZING bedroom at 2 a.m.)

And I bought another Frigidaire but an 8,000-btu model for my TV room (12'6" x 17'6" or so). Don't know why I went with such a higher-level model -- probably it was on sale.

I have had no problems at all with any of them -- but then again, we actually NEED a/c's only maybe 15-20 days/year up here. Might not sound like much, but on those days you'll be miserable without them.

I think you may need to use them a bit more in Arkansas?
Thanks for the suggestions. We do need them for a few months here, June, July, and August, and spotty use in September. We rarely need it at night (I'm in northern Ark at elevation) but I love the timer setting so I can set it to shut itself off after an hour or two. It's easy to fall asleep to the sound of the unit. Several of you have suggested the Frigidaire so I think I'll give that one a go. I had an old Sharp one that died last summer, and now i don't even think Sharp makes them anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House