Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
No furniture piece we've ever bought came with brackets to secure it... that must be somewhat new.
You can get these most anywhere now -- if you purchased things at IKEA you might even ask for these brackets for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Better solution"

Yes, teaching the child that climbing on furniture is a NO-NO.
I have never heard of anyone securing their furniture to the wall because of a child.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:38 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
If the furniture piece is heavy enough, you can place wedges under the front feet/legs that tip the piece back against the wall. That will help against 'casual' tipping forward, but will not prevent an accident if the kid is seriously trying to climb up the front of the piece.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:28 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
As a fellow parent of young children I can tell you there isn't really another good solution. You'll just have to tell your wife to stop moving furniture around for a while. They aren't young enough where this is an issue for that long.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:09 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Ideal, but apparently (given the rash of "furniture falling on child" disasters that have gotten publicity) - that strategy no longer is effective.

Actually, it's highly effective. The problem isn't the child, it's the parents and their ignorance of what is and isn't proper parenting.

But, since this is a thread about mounting furniture to the wall- let's just screw it to the wall and let the kids run wild!

Old 02-15-2017, 02:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,007,643 times
Quote:
Actually, it's highly effective. The problem isn't the child, it's the parents and their ignorance of what is and isn't proper parenting.

But, since this is a thread about mounting furniture to the wall- let's just screw it to the wall and let the kids run wild!
As the OP I both agree and disagree. The thread was started because I was looking to a short term solution for larger unstable furniture so that, should my son disobey, he doesn't get himself hurt/killed. That said, we're very clear about reinforcing what he should and shouldn't be doing (and I think good parenting involves this). But, yes, this thread is about a "short-term solution", hence my, not wanting to drill holes if possible.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
You could epoxy the furniture to the wall. Assuming the furniture is permanent and never needs to be moved.

Otherwise, what is there to secure the furniture to? You cannot get to the wall studs without making a hole. The only openings are windows. I suppose you cold run a strap from one window to another, or run a line out and anchor the furniture to the ground, but either would be a bit absurd.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
This thread reminded me of those "stupid" warning signs that you see on just about every appliance or piece of equipment on the free market. More specifically, the anti-tip devices that are required for kitchen ranges. The wording on some is so ridiculous it was obviously written by a lawyer!

So OP, here's an idea- instead of putting a hole in the wall maybe you could anchor to the baseboard instead- either with a screw through the carcass of the furniture into the baseboard, or maybe using a similar setup where the foot of the appliance slides into a clip that is mounted to the floor or the baseboard. Just thinking outside the box- but spackling a hole in drywall and a little touch up paint isn't a big deal in my book.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
You could always attach an additional piece of wood to the base of the furniture item and then drill it into the floor. Bam... no holes in your wall.

Old 02-15-2017, 03:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
"Better solution"

Yes, teaching the child that climbing on furniture is a NO-NO.
That's what my parents did. Sure my sister climbed up her dresser a few times. Only took 2 or 3 times before she figured out it didn't go well and she stopped. I was never a climber. She climbed enough for all 3 kids according to our mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House