Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 16,130 times

Advertisements

We are trying to whittle down the options we have chosen in our new build and the tray ceilings in the dining/master bedroom are one of the options on the block (they add 6,500). Do you guys think it is worth it to keep it? Or should we spend the $$ somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 PM

731 posts, read 936,449 times
I, personally, really don't like tray ceilings. I cringe when I look at houses built in the last 20 years that have that type of art deco like ceiling. Only problem is they don't look anything like the cool ones in really old houses.

That being said, it's a look that lots of people like. Maybe look at a bunch of pictures online for model homes and see if it feels like a must have for you.

The last 20 years have brought us a lot of dramatic trends that feel like they are trying to be too much (impressive, maybe?). I'm looking at a lot of houses online right now that are built in the 80's to brand new and I cringe when I see cathedral ceilings, half round windows, tray ceilings. I'm not looking for a castle. I just want a normal house that won't show it's age too soon.

Unless it's a must have, I would save your money. But, that's just one person's opinion.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:46 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
I love cathedral ceilings and plenty of windows.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 AM

24,598 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Personally I like unusual ceilings. Our bedroom has triple tray with stained Knotty Alder moulding matching the rest of the woodwork.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,288 times
Not a fan of tray ceilings either. A beautiful vaulted ceiling is awesome but not a tray. I'd save he money because you probably wouldn't get it back.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:24 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Trey ceilings are unattractive to me. They make little sense. If there was more room above the 'regular' ceiling, why not just have a taller ceiling? They would be great for a lighting cove, but they are not constructed that way. To me they are just fussy and sort of cheap looking. I think they were a trend and will appear quite dated within a few years.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 AM

11 posts, read 16,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Trey ceilings are unattractive to me. They make little sense. If there was more room above the 'regular' ceiling, why not just have a taller ceiling? They would be great for a lighting cove, but they are not constructed that way. To me they are just fussy and sort of cheap looking. I think they were a trend and will appear quite dated within a few years.
The ceilings are 9 feet, which is part of the reason I am somewhat ok with omitting them.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:53 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
My uncle has them in his home in Florida. His ceilings are already I think 12 feet, then in the middle of a few rooms it gets higher. 14". ugh.

I don't like the look of it personally. I wouldn't spend the extra 6500.00 on a ceiling that you have to look up at. I'm sure you can find better options to spend 6500.00 on.

I agree with you also, if your ceilings are 9', (as mine are also), you don't need them. 9' is a nice height for ceilings, high enough to give the room space, low enough to paint and change light bulbs.

I wouldnt think tray ceiling would add any real value to the house, plus painting would be a real PITA.

I think your doing the right thing by not getting them.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:55 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
In a typical two story house- and dining room on first floor- trey ceilings for them are not much of a trey. And I've seen some pretty wacky floor system framing in order to accommodate said trey. Then I've seen others that were like- why bother?

The master would be a definite yes- on one condition. It depends on the dimensional size of the room, and what is considered the "bed wall".

Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,555,140 times
OP - I think it depends on if you think the tray ceiling is attractive or not?

We do have tray ceilings in our home (3 rooms - MBdrm; Dining room; Solarium). I don't recall at this point if it was included in the price of our floor plan or if we paid extra. The tray ceilings are simple, and use upside down crown molding at the bottom part of tray for extra detail. That also allows the home owner to lay rope lighting (hidden) within the tray (the tray has an outlet in it) - which then allows the tray to be lit.

I have seen some ceiling treatments in other model homes (different builders) that they called "Tray" ceilings, but to me were weird geometric stepped obscenities.

So the term "tray" ceiling clearly means different things to different builders and probably in different regions.

In our home, the tray ceilings add a bit more detail. The homes in my neighborhood are larger, and people seem to want details (crown, baseboard, stair detailing, etc..). So in my neighborhood I would say they are if not expected, at least appreciated.

Would they make a difference in a sale? Not really from a value stand point. But for someone who's looking for "details" - it might make the difference between them liking your house enough to make an offer or not. Similarly, for someone who does not like "details" or finds trays ugly, or pretensious or whatever.... it might be what pushes them over the edge to *NOT* make an offer.

Which is why ultimately (as with every cosmetic change to a home) it comes down to do YOU like them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House