Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM

274 posts, read 855,758 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just purchased a house that was built in 1973 and still had the original harvest gold wall oven and stove that were wired into the wall. The casing on the wiring was chewed up by rats several years ago (the rat problem was fixed before we moved in), and needs to be replaced. I also need wiring installed for our over-the-range microwave.

Here's the problem:
I've had two electrical quotes so far (another guy is coming this afternoon for a third quote). One was from an independent electrician and the other was from a national chain. The local guy says he can do the whole thing for $675, including labor. The chain says that the breaker box is a disaster (it was replaced in 1997) and that they need to replace the box and redo the wiring that connects to the main power lines outside. It did look like one of the breakers was a little bit burned underneath the switch. The chain then quoted me $4200 for the whole job.

I just don't know who is right about this. There is no possible way that we can afford $4200 right now, especially after just buying the house. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm at a bit of a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Did you get the house inspected when you bought it and was the breaker box determined to need replacement?

Find out what the 3rd guy says about the breaker box. I have had this same experience. Once I replaced, once I did not. However a box less that 15 years old, I'd want to keep it if possible.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 AM

The inspector said nothing about the breaker box. He didn't even make a note about it in the inspection report, other than to say that it was functional.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,150,000 times
Hi MissLizzie85
Getting three or four quotes is the best course of action at this point. Nothing wrong with throwing out the chain quote.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:39 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,548,795 times
Did the chain tell you why they thought it was mess? It could be that they were just fishing to expand the job. If the burnt breaker was the reason, my first solution would be to replace the breaker. If it looks burnt again, then I would check further into it. I'm not an expert, but replacing the wire from the house to the main power lines I think would be the power company's responsibility, at least up to the meter. I'd get a couple more bids.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,694,877 times
Agree w/akck........I've had burnt breakers replaced w/o replacing the whole box. If the inspector said nothing I have to believe you don't need the breaker box replaced.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Did the chain tell you why they thought it was mess? It could be that they were just fishing to expand the job. If the burnt breaker was the reason, my first solution would be to replace the breaker. If it looks burnt again, then I would check further into it. I'm not an expert, but replacing the wire from the house to the main power lines I think would be the power company's responsibility, at least up to the meter. I'd get a couple more bids.
Third time's the charm! The third guy came over this afternoon and confirmed what you said. Instead of replacing the whole thing, we are using one of the breakers that is free and not damaged. What a relief! Thanks for all of your comments.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
Hi MissLizzie85
Getting three or four quotes is the best course of action at this point. Nothing wrong with throwing out the chain quote.
Make sure they are bidding on the same job and have them break it down for you. Maybe you can only do a little bit right now, the rest later.

I would have the city come out and inspect your box if possible.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:59 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,029,495 times
So about 3600 to replace a box? With or without lube? I would have a few more electricians come out and give bids and advice on box.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,246,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Make sure they are bidding on the same job and have them break it down for you. Maybe you can only do a little bit right now, the rest later.

I would have the city come out and inspect your box if possible.
Bad idea, if they find something wrong they will have the power turned off until it's fixed....even if there is no reason to turn it off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House