Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times

Advertisements

Where I live in SW Florida you have either a house with both a formal living room (for entertaining - no TV) and a family room for you and the family to hang out and do whatever. Then there are houses that only have a "great room". This became popular as the whole formal living room trend disappeared. Seriously how many people still use a "formal living room"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:19 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,482 times
At 875 sf, my house has none of these rooms (not even a foyer).

Old 03-09-2017, 11:58 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
In my experience:

Living room = more formal space meant for conversation. No TV.

Family room = casual space for family gatherings - comfy seating. This is where the TV is.

Great room = similar to a family room but larger and incorporates elements of a living room and dining room. Usually open to the kitchen - mostly found in homes without a formal living room/dining room.

Den = study with seating area.

Rec room = finished basement with ping-pong, foosball or pool table. Maybe a bar.
Exactly this above

Old 03-09-2017, 12:01 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I think these are good distinctions. I understood these words a bit differently, based on the impressions I got from looking and the floorplans and photos, as well as visiting friends who had larger houses.

Living room - A modern take on a parlor room or a reception room. Used for entertaining guests.
Family room - Same as living room, but used only for entertaining family and close friends.
Great room - Never saw this term used in speech or writing, except in real estate.
Den - Pretty much a bedroom without a door. Usually has a sofa, but may have a bed in it.
Rec room - The kids' and teens' equivalent of a man cave. Messes are tolerated there.

Would you (anyone) say my interpretations are accurate?
I think of a home having a Great Room is when they don't have a living room and only a family room. The Great Room is a combo of Living Room and Family Room. Some Den's are just basically an office space. If it doesn't have a closet it's typically not a bedroom and they are usually on the first floor.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:38 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Is a hallway a foyer? I think it is if it serves the same purpose which was to act as a chamber to keep cold/hot air from invading the home when the outside door was open, and also to "capture" the home visitor until he/she was announced. Otherwise, modern homes probably have entryways not foyers.
Entranceway and foyer are basically the same thing. A Hallway is a path (of sorts) to get to other parts of the house. Entranceway and foyer areas are typically large enough to house a table and or coat closet.

Now vestibules on the other hand are a separate entity.

A vestibule is an area after opening the front door (smaller than a porch) that leads to the inner door. The vestibule's purpose is to create a buffer between the outside air and the inner sanctums warmth/coolness.

Most banks have vestibules as do apartment buildings. ATM's are typically kept in the bank's vestibule and mailboxes/slots are typically found in apartment vestibules. The purpose of a vestibule is to moderate the weather before opening the door to the rest of the building/home.

Some houses have grand foyers where they are large enough to put a table in the center with some flower arrangements in a vase.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:41 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
With a den many new home builders offer a 4 bedroom 2 bath home or a 3 bedroom and a den with 2 baths. The other room is the great room with the living, dining and kitchen all in one large great room.

You either have the 4 bedrooms or three and a den. The den normally is open and the closet is not there, so instead of a door the den would have a lager opening, possibly most of the wall space where the door would have been. My parents home is like this, it could have been ordered as a 4 bedroom or a 3 and a den and they chose the den.

A new design that I have been seeing more of is a master suite with the bedroom, a secondary room, his and her bathrooms, his and her walk in closets, and a morning kitchen. Realize that I live between Santa Barbara and Malibu and many of the larger homes are off the hook.

Talking about closets those are becoming off the hook as well. One developer in Texas built a home with a 2 story master closet.

Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I tend to user the words "foyer", "entryway", and "hall" more-or-less interchangeably. Maybe it's a regionalism in the Midwest, maybe it's something I picked up from ads, I don't know. I also sometimes use "entryway" as a synonym for "entrance".
But the big question here is do you use the English pronunciation rhyming with "sawyer" or the pretentious French "foy-air?"

Old 03-09-2017, 01:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Bedrooms have actual legal requirements where I live. They must have a closet and a window big enough to exit in case of fire.

In general I agree it is just marketing though. Makes sure you appeal to the widest number of people!
The window part is probably correct; the part about having a closet is probably not bound in law but in local real estate jargon.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A new design that I have been seeing more of is a master suite with the bedroom, a secondary room, his and her bathrooms, his and her walk in closets, and a morning kitchen.
What, pray tell, is a "morning kitchen"?

The next depression is gonna be interesting, when all these McMansion residents find themselves having to cut up their houses for apartments, or share living quarters, etc., etc.

Old 03-09-2017, 03:16 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Great room. In the 80s someone decided nobody wanted a "only used for guests" living room any more. So they invented the Great Room. Usually located nearer the kitchen. Originally always with an energy wasting cathedral ceiling with faux wood beams and massive floor to ceiling brick fireplace. If you have a great room you probably don't have a "formal" living room or a "family room" on the 1st floor.
That accurately describes the "family room" in my childhood home. It was semi-open to the kitchen (maybe an 8 foot entryway from the eat in portion of the kitchen.) Brick Fireplace, faux wood beans, popcorn ceiling (although not cathedral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Nobody has yet mentioned the "hearth room" which is probably just a pretentious regionalism for family room. I've never heard of a house having both.
The only place I've ever heard it was at my Grandfather's club. We would either eat in the bigger, more open banquet room, or the hearth room, which was more elegantly appointed and cozy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Where I live in SW Florida you have either a house with both a formal living room (for entertaining - no TV) and a family room for you and the family to hang out and do whatever. Then there are houses that only have a "great room". This became popular as the whole formal living room trend disappeared. Seriously how many people still use a "formal living room"?
My family used it a lot. Not only for Christmas and whatnot, but my Father had a large table in there where we would do homework. It was a nice, quiet place to sit and read in the front of the house. These days, my brothers and dad mostly use it to play guitar in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House