U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
 
4,956 posts, read 2,930,111 times
Reputation: 10826

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty
Nobody has yet mentioned the "hearth room" which is probably just a pretentious regionalism for family room. I've never heard of a house having both
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It might be another way of saying "fireplace room". In the middle ages, a hearth was a dedicated place for a fire, and provided a source of heat and cooking for a family, until it was supplanted by a stove. (Today, the word means "interior of a fireplace" in architecture.) So now, the architects are capitalizing on the word's historic definition to market a house. It's supposed to give a cozy, homely image, but I liken it to Forever 21 (a glitzy teenage clothing company) using Roman numerals in its logo.
Haha. I have a hearth room and it's what sold us on the house! It's a den-like room off of the kitchen with a built-in fireplace/TV wall and lots of windows on one end. It provides a cozy, homey feeling in what is otherwise a very open floor plan with a large great room.

How about a flex room? That's what I'm seeing in the new builds in my area. It's usually a very small room right inside the front door that can be used as an office, small living space, or an alcove for backpacks and shoes. Personally, I think these are basically useless as a room because they tend to be so small.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2017, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Crook County, Hellinois
5,730 posts, read 3,261,784 times
Reputation: 7939
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What, pray tell, is a "morning kitchen"?
Short answer: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/morning_kitchen

Long answer: It's a kitchenette located in an alcove inside the master bedroom. Imagine something you'd find in an extended-stay hotel or your office break room. It doesn't have a full set of appliances, but there is a coffee maker, a small microwave, a toaster, and a mini-fridge. Great for that coffee and a bagel (or a bloody Mary and a burrito), when you stagger out of bed on a weekend.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-09-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 PM
 
Location: NC
8,803 posts, read 12,240,570 times
Reputation: 19291
Here in NC we have a FROG as well. Yes, realtors call it that. Finished room over the garage. Usually it is a playroom, sometimes it is made into an office.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 08:24 PM
 
Location: in a parallel universe
2,648 posts, read 2,028,146 times
Reputation: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Haha. I have a hearth room and it's what sold us on the house! It's a den-like room off of the kitchen with a built-in fireplace/TV wall and lots of windows on one end. It provides a cozy, homey feeling in what is otherwise a very open floor plan with a large great room.

How about a flex room? That's what I'm seeing in the new builds in my area. It's usually a very small room right inside the front door that can be used as an office, small living space, or an alcove for backpacks and shoes. Personally, I think these are basically useless as a room because they tend to be so small.
My husband and I are looking at homes and quite a few of them have a flex room right inside the front door. I have no idea what we would do with that room. Some of the models show the flex room with 2 chairs and a table as that's about all it can fit. Do they think we're going to be entertaining door to door salesmen?

Maybe with french doors it could pass as an office or computer room but usually they're just an open space.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2017, 08:27 PM
 
Location: in a parallel universe
2,648 posts, read 2,028,146 times
Reputation: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Here in NC we have a FROG as well. Yes, realtors call it that. Finished room over the garage. Usually it is a playroom, sometimes it is made into an office.
I've seen FROG room on some listings and never knew what it was. Thank you!

ya learn something new every day...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 02:17 AM
 
11,026 posts, read 6,841,909 times
Reputation: 23667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Haha. I have a hearth room and it's what sold us on the house! It's a den-like room off of the kitchen with a built-in fireplace/TV wall and lots of windows on one end. It provides a cozy, homey feeling in what is otherwise a very open floor plan with a large great room.

How about a flex room? That's what I'm seeing in the new builds in my area. It's usually a very small room right inside the front door that can be used as an office, small living space, or an alcove for backpacks and shoes. Personally, I think these are basically useless as a room because they tend to be so small.
It sold you on the house? Would you still have bought the house if the marketing geniuses simply called it a den?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 AM
 
11,248 posts, read 7,516,351 times
Reputation: 32104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Short answer: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/morning_kitchen

Long answer: It's a kitchenette located in an alcove inside the master bedroom. Imagine something you'd find in an extended-stay hotel or your office break room. It doesn't have a full set of appliances, but there is a coffee maker, a small microwave, a toaster, and a mini-fridge. Great for that coffee and a bagel (or a bloody Mary and a burrito), when you stagger out of bed on a weekend.
OK, so there are (non-disabled) people who can't manage to walk down the hall to the actual kitchen?

Next up in housing marketeer trends: chamber pots, for when you're too lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Crook County, Hellinois
5,730 posts, read 3,261,784 times
Reputation: 7939
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Next up in housing marketeer trends: chamber pots, for when you're too lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
A variation of it already exists: the master bath. This way, you don't have to leave the bedroom to answer the nature's call.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 2,974,428 times
Reputation: 9849
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
A variation of it already exists: the master bath. This way, you don't have to leave the bedroom to answer the nature's call.
^^ Truth. Bwahaha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
24,204 posts, read 17,303,405 times
Reputation: 38217
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OK, so there are (non-disabled) people who can't manage to walk down the hall to the actual kitchen?

Next up in housing marketeer trends: chamber pots, for when you're too lazy to get out of bed in the middle of the night.
most people have two story homes so it's up and down stairs, not down the hall.

And a new trend I see a lot of is to have a balcony or deck off the master, so people like to be able to make coffee and take a cup out on the deck without going up and down stairs with it.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in having a "morning kitchen" but can understand the concept at least and don't need to be rude about people who make different choices than I do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:38 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top