U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 PM

1,804 posts, read 3,700,261 times

Advertisements

I have a room with a fireplace, TV, sofa, easy chair, and so on, at the back of my small house. I call it the den, because it is very informal and furnished cheaply, so "living room" doesn't seem to fit. There is only one of me so "family room" would not be right either. It's not big, so "great room" is out. Den sounds a little stupid, I admit, but on the other hand it's short, easy to remember, and seems about right. My opinion is that you can call it whatever you want if you own the house.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 07:01 PM

10,111 posts, read 17,960,627 times
I've got a formal living room with a television and an informal family room without one. It's a very formal television though.

Seriously, they're all rooms without closets or plumbing, except the "great room" which is often not really a room as it only has three walls (the fourth being open to the kitchen/dining area)

Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,016,573 times
I have what is actually a formal living room but we've got a tv in there anyway, and I've also got 2 family rooms. One has the tv with video game consoles and is set up more for kids, and the other one has a tv and the dog. Looking back we should have renamed them the rec room and the den. The only way I can explain to family members which family room I'm talking about is to say 'the one with the dog' or the one without the dog. Den or rec room would have been so much easier.

As we're looking at homes to buy I notice many homes have 'great rooms' and it's always one very large room with a living, dining and kitchen area. They look nice and maybe I'm the only one but I don't want to be cooking while listening to whatever someone else is watching on tv.

Growing up we had the parlor which was a living room and then we had the 'front room' which led to the front door but it was a big open room and held a baby grand piano.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:14 PM

17,563 posts, read 30,904,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Short answer: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/morning_kitchen

Long answer: It's a kitchenette located in an alcove inside the master bedroom. Imagine something you'd find in an extended-stay hotel or your office break room. It doesn't have a full set of appliances, but there is a coffee maker, a small microwave, a toaster, and a mini-fridge. Great for that coffee and a bagel (or a bloody Mary and a burrito), when you stagger out of bed on a weekend.
So they've effectively made a studio apartment out of the main bedroom. With inhabitants being fewer and fewer, someone had to figure some excuse for these absurdly oversized houses.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 AM

16,290 posts, read 30,646,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What, pray tell, is a "morning kitchen"?

The next depression is gonna be interesting, when all these McMansion residents find themselves having to cut up their houses for apartments, or share living quarters, etc., etc.
Around here they are not McMansions but the real thing. We are talking people with 8 and 9 figure net worth building these places.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 AM

5,712 posts, read 3,235,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
So they've effectively made a studio apartment out of the main bedroom. With inhabitants being fewer and fewer, someone had to figure some excuse for these absurdly oversized houses.
Hahaha! I haven't thought about it that way, but good observation. If you add a private entrance from outside to the bedroom (like via stairs leading to the balcony/deck), you can easily rent out the master bedroom suite (master bath and morning kitchen) for a handsome amount of money.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:42 PM

16,290 posts, read 30,646,026 times
Wow, go for all the work of making your own retreat. Spend 10's of thousands to build it, maybe more, and then rent it out?

Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 PM

11,249 posts, read 7,448,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow, go for all the work of making your own retreat. Spend 10's of thousands to build it, maybe more, and then rent it out?
That's what happened in the Depression when suddenly impoverished people found themselves with large mansion-houses - they cut them up into apartments. Instant slum!

Old 03-15-2017, 07:28 AM

3,551 posts, read 2,679,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
That's what happened in the Depression when suddenly impoverished people found themselves with large mansion-houses - they cut them up into apartments. Instant slum!
That's one reason these homes are now built in HOAs. That sort of thing is almost always prohibited.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM

11,026 posts, read 6,797,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
That's one reason these homes are now built in HOAs. That sort of thing is almost always prohibited.
That is a regional thing. In areas where zoning regulations are common a prohibition is backed by law not haphazardly by a handful of busybodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House