U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM

22,828 posts, read 14,412,018 times

Advertisements

Living room vs. family room vs. rec room vs. great room

In New England:

A living room is a formal room for entertaining company. It typically doesn't have a television and children are banned. It is typically a lightly used room. It's also called a parlor.

A family room is a separate room from the living room and is much less formal. It has a television and very comfortable furniture. It's where the kids hang out. A smaller version of it is often called a den.

A rec room is often finished basement space with a wet bar, pool table, and can be a man cave to watch sports or a kid play room. If it's not in a finished basement, that is often merged with what is a family room.

A great room is a merged kitchen with breakfast bar, dining area, and family/living room and usually has some kind of vaulted ceiling and a wall of glass. In a smaller house, it's the only common area in the house. Everything else is used as bedrooms, offices, and bathrooms.

As a matter of personal preference, I prefer having a great room. If I had kids, I might have a different opinion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:23 PM

11,249 posts, read 7,313,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
That's one reason these homes are now built in HOAs. That sort of thing is almost always prohibited.
Yeah, well, if 3/4 of the households can't pay the HOA dues and half the houses are vacant, the situation might change. Just saying.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

24,011 posts, read 26,851,689 times
Quote:
A living room is a formal room for entertaining company. It typically doesn't have a television and children are banned. It is typically a lightly used room. It's also called a parlor.
Because we certainly wouldn't want kids utilizing a room without a television? SMH

Old 03-15-2017, 04:12 PM

30,253 posts, read 74,301,245 times
Actually "parlor" is just a word for a common room. Long ago most houses had a front parlor (for formally socializing with guests) and a back parlor (where the family did their stuff). Big houses might have a side parlor, a music parlor, a game parlor. Some had a men's parlor and a women's parlor. It is synonymous with "room"

Calling a room a "parlor" with no other designation is just calling it a room.

I think it was TV shows that started treating it is if it were some sort of specific type of room (usually fancy). They just used it to sound elegant after the word had gone out of vogue. Maybe it was the game "Clue" that started it.

It is fun to bring back the old rooms/room names. Thus we have a front and back parlor, and the Kitchen has a scullery and a pantry. I guess we have a foyer, it is a 3'x3' entry in front of the front door at the bottom of the stairs. They were not very fancy about entries in Michigan in 1836, they were more worried about how to stay alive than how to impress guests entering the house. Alas, they were not all that good at staying alive.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:29 PM

8,776 posts, read 11,176,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
most people have two story homes so it's up and down stairs, not down the hall.

And a new trend I see a lot of is to have a balcony or deck off the master, so people like to be able to make coffee and take a cup out on the deck without going up and down stairs with it.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in having a "morning kitchen" but can understand the concept at least and don't need to be rude about people who make different choices than I do.

I had no idea it was called a "morning kitchen" but my brother has that as part of his master suite...upstairs...along with his giant bathroom AND balcony. That part of the house takes up the entire second floor and I envy his view from the balcony.

I think the people who built my house messed up. The room that should have been a bedroom is designated as a den in the house plans so has no closet. The guest room, which would probably make a good dressing room, has a closet but will barely hold a twin bed and dresser! The "den" is the same size as the guest bedroom and bathroom together and I'm still curious why. Oh well, a good way to discourage a lot of company I guess. lol I'm still not sure what to call the 400 sq. ft. addition they did. It's basically one big room and one smaller one that they had used as a laundry room but is as big as my master bedroom. The big room has dining on one end and 'family room' on the other. Then there's also THE living room that nobody uses except as a pathway to the rest of the house. And kitchen of course. I like my house, and making it work, but it's a little strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House