Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times

Advertisements

I've been looking online at a condominium to buy. I also looked at photos and floorplans of houses in 1%-er neighborhoods just to see what they look like inside. The floorplans had spaces marked "living room", "family room", "rec room", and "great room". In bigger houses especially, there would be all four of these rooms, although usually, at least one room would be on a different floor. (I'm not factoring in regionalisms, like the term "front room".)

Are there any distinguishing characteristics between these rooms? Especially something that its proper term may not indicate. Like ceiling height, size/number of windows, presence of a fireplace, cable/satellite hook-ups, etc. Or are those just spaces in a house, and their names are a little more than real estate marketing terms? Or even regionalisms I'm not aware of.

The one "public" room of a home that's comparable to the above four, but clearly meant for a distinct purpose, is the dining room. So at least there is no ambiguity there. Although in smaller residences, the dining room is a section of either the living room or the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
They are spelled differently.

They are all just rooms. Usually rectangular. The difference is really in how you use them, and sometimes in location.

For us, we use Front parlor, back parlor, dining room, library and game room. Rec (recreation) roomnever made sense to me. Are you going to play soccer or frisbee in there?

We use the old fashioned terms because our house is old, and because it is easier to me to remember which is which. Front parlor is the room guests see. It is kept nice and clean for entertaining. The back parlor is the room in "the back" although ours is on the same plane as the front parlor). It is a messy room where your family does their day to day live and leaves magazines, dog toys and dirty socks laying around. Only the most intimate family friends are invited into the back parlor and it has a door to shut off the view from the entry (front parlor has no door).

OUR kids have different names for the rooms. The front parlor is the "Indian room" because former owners used that room to trade with native Americans in the early 1800s. The back parlor is the fireplace room. Both have fireplaces, but we rarely use the one int he front parlor. Library is the bird room (because our birds live in there, or the Computer room

If my kids become developers maybe there will be houses offered with an "indian room" or a bird room. You can cll them whatever you want.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I guess it's possible to say it's both-

As a builder, I'd say there are distinct differences- use and location.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:38 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They are spelled differently.

They are all just rooms. Usually rectangular. The difference is really in how you use them, and sometimes in location.

For us, we use Front parlor, back parlor, dining room, library and game room. Rec (recreation) roomnever made sense to me. Are you going to play soccer or frisbee in there?

We use the old fashioned terms because our house is old, and because it is easier to me to remember which is which. Front parlor is the room guests see. It is kept nice and clean for entertaining. The back parlor is the room in "the back" although ours is on the same plane as the front parlor). It is a messy room where your family does their day to day live and leaves magazines, dog toys and dirty socks laying around. Only the most intimate family friends are invited into the back parlor and it has a door to shut off the view from the entry (front parlor has no door).

OUR kids have different names for the rooms. The front parlor is the "Indian room" because former owners used that room to trade with native Americans in the early 1800s. The back parlor is the fireplace room. Both have fireplaces, but we rarely use the one int he front parlor. Library is the bird room (because our birds live in there, or the Computer room

If my kids become developers maybe there will be houses offered with an "indian room" or a bird room. You can cll them whatever you want.
I have a cant swing a cat room, a kitchen a bedroom and a bathroom.. ....Parlours, games room. tv room, library, dining room are dreams from High Society the movie...I never know if people on here are for real or what..... all their eggs have two yolks it seems.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:47 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
In my experience:

Living room = more formal space meant for conversation. No TV.

Family room = casual space for family gatherings - comfy seating. This is where the TV is.

Great room = similar to a family room but larger and incorporates elements of a living room and dining room. Usually open to the kitchen - mostly found in homes without a formal living room/dining room.

Den = study with seating area.

Rec room = finished basement with ping-pong, foosball or pool table. Maybe a bar.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
In my experience:
Living room = more formal space meant for conversation. No TV.
Family room = casual space for family gatherings - comfy seating. This is where the TV is.
Great room = similar to a family room but larger and incorporates elements of a living room and dining room. Usually open to the kitchen - mostly found in homes without a formal living room/dining room.
Rec room = finished basement with ping-pong, foosball or pool table. Maybe a bar.
I think these are good distinctions. I understood these words a bit differently, based on the impressions I got from looking and the floorplans and photos, as well as visiting friends who had larger houses.

Living room - A modern take on a parlor room or a reception room. Used for entertaining guests.
Family room - Same as living room, but used only for entertaining family and close friends.
Great room - Never saw this term used in speech or writing, except in real estate.
Den - Pretty much a bedroom without a door. Usually has a sofa, but may have a bed in it.
Rec room - The kids' and teens' equivalent of a man cave. Messes are tolerated there.

Would you (anyone) say my interpretations are accurate?

Old 03-08-2017, 01:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
bedroom, shop & garage, I have no idea what Mrs G calls those other rooms I pass thru on the way to the bathroom or the basement

Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
in my experience:

Living room = more formal space meant for conversation. No tv.

Family room = casual space for family gatherings - comfy seating. This is where the tv is.

described perfectly !!

Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I think these are good distinctions. I understood these words a bit differently, based on the impressions I got from looking and the floorplans and photos, as well as visiting friends who had larger houses.

Living room - A modern take on a parlor room or a reception room. Used for entertaining guests.
Family room - Same as living room, but used only for entertaining family and close friends.
Great room - Never saw this term used in speech or writing, except in real estate.
Den - Pretty much a bedroom without a door. Usually has a sofa, but may have a bed in it.
Rec room - The kids' and teens' equivalent of a man cave. Messes are tolerated there.

Would you (anyone) say my interpretations are accurate?
Den is definitely not a bedroom. You could possibly use it as an overflow if you have a bunch of overnight guests. A den is usually used as an office or library type room. Think books and/or computers.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Great room. In the 80s someone decided nobody wanted a "only used for guests" living room any more. So they invented the Great Room. Usually located nearer the kitchen. Originally always with an energy wasting cathedral ceiling with faux wood beams and massive floor to ceiling brick fireplace. If you have a great room you probably don't have a "formal" living room or a "family room" on the 1st floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House