Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:44 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Soon it will be a time for me to move to a new place.
First thing to do will be to change locks.

The new area is really good and safe, but I still want better than average security performance, so the locks have be well resistant to picking and drilling. I am not sure if I can find those locks on a shelf at Home Depot or Lowe's. Probably I need to visit locksmith store.

I will need three high security locks. I know it won't be cheap, but I am OK with that. What are your general recommendations? I was somewhat interested in electronic locks, but got discouraged after watching YouTube videos. I see even completely keyless locks that are bump-proof, intentionally have weak spots to allow professional locksmith to drill and unlock them. And all thieves are aware of this as well. So I am sceptical about keypad locks, unless there is something new and drill resistant on a market. Should I still look in this direction?

Or should I better consider keyed high security locks (Abloy, Medeco, Mul-t-lock)?

Could you please recommend any particular model that provides better price/performance ratio?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,095,235 times
Schlage-Commercial locksets.

Schlage - Commercial - Door Knobs & Hardware - *The Home Depot

Old 03-14-2017, 09:53 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
IMHO.... the chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Door locks are there to make your house just little harder to get into than the neighbor's house.

There is no point in making the doors into Fort Knox, if the door is right next to a window.

I think you get better overall security with gates that are locked at the driveway... a barking big dog, and security cameras that notify you instantly if someone is there.

My two cents.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
It's all fine and dandy to have good locks (deadbolts, door-handle locks are worthless), so long as you understand that windows are an easily defeated point of entry and if you're in a typical stick-built house with siding, then going through the Wall is incredibly easy as well. Point being, anyone that Wants to get into your home, will get in through one means or another.

Excluding those people, you simply need to keep out the honest people (any lock will do...) and those who prey on opportunity (again, pretty much any lock will do so long as you use them every time).

Beyond that, so long as you're not advertising you have stuff of value or are gone at certain times (meaning stop posting on social media that you're on vacation, going out for dinner, just got a brand new TV, etc...) and keep those who see the Inside of your home to a bare minimum and only those you know personally, there's really no reason for your house to be targeted. The last 2 things are simply having good homeowners insurance to repair and replace any items that are stolen in the rare instance of something actually happening, and having a plan that's agreeable to your sensibilities for home invasion (be that self defense or safe room). But these are a TINY fraction of all issues, not to be ignored, but they shouldn't drive your decision.

All of that said, if you want a "bump proof" lock, buy one, or three as the case may be. Talk with a Local professional about your options. Is there a window near the lock? Then you'll want a double-keyed deadbolt (if allowed, they're a fire safety hazard and not allowed in some places).

Me, I've never had a break in, never known anyone who did have a break in and even talking it over with my dad, who sold insurance for 35 years, the only break-ins he knew of were done with a key and no actual breaking.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Safe area?
Don't bother.
Locks are for honest people.
A THIEF will come prepared to bypass ANY lock you have. They break in through porch door glass, window, doesn't matter. Won't even touch your main door with expensive locks. They will let security blur because they know that police response is longer than for them to swipe through your place and be gone.
It's in your mind. Just like Trump and boarder wall. Walls never worked. Locks never worked.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 AM

Thank you for the responses. I am interested in Schlage commercial locks. I heard really good reviews about those locks.

I am planning on securing windows with an impact-resistant film in a near future as well. Want to have some peace of mind. I will also have a monitored alarm. I know, it's hard to stop professional burglars, but I would like to make my house secure above average at least. Of course I have an insurance as well.

The house is stick built, but the exterior is all brick. I don't know how it's easy to break through the walls, but statistically speaking that's not a common way of entry.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Safe area?
Don't bother.
Locks are for honest people.
A THIEF will come prepared to bypass ANY lock you have. They break in through porch door glass, window, doesn't matter. Won't even touch your main door with expensive locks. They will let security blur because they know that police response is longer than for them to swipe through your place and be gone.
It's in your mind. Just like Trump and boarder wall. Walls never worked. Locks never worked.
But most thieves deal with average consumer-grade locks like Kwickset that are really easy to pick. What if a thief is looking for a simple solution and just won't bother if there's advanced Abloy lock?
In many cases thieves prefer not to bother even if there's 'beware of dog' sign and no actual dog in a house.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:47 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
We use Medeco commercially...

Medeco Products

As others have said the lock is only one piece of the puzzle...

When I drove a convertible car I never locked it... too easy to slash the top which would be expensive.

Door, Door Jamb, Hinges, Lock Type, Latch, other nearby entry points are all factors.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Take a look at a Jimmy Proof lock. If installed properly, they literally have to tear the door or the jamb apart to get thru. Something most perps are not going to do as it takes too long. I'd suggest using 3" screws for the installation making sure the screws get to the studs.
https://www.build.com/first-watch-11...ba-pla_1710452

Old 03-14-2017, 11:42 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thank you for the responses. I am interested in Schlage commercial locks. I heard really good reviews about those locks.

I am planning on securing windows with an impact-resistant film in a near future as well. Want to have some peace of mind. I will also have a monitored alarm. I know, it's hard to stop professional burglars, but I would like to make my house secure above average at least. Of course I have an insurance as well.

The house is stick built, but the exterior is all brick. I don't know how it's easy to break through the walls, but statistically speaking that's not a common way of entry.
What kind of exterior doors do you have?

How Do Doors Play a Role in Home Security:
Quote:
People usually think of locks as the first line of defense when it comes to home security. Surprisingly your doors play a significant role as well. If you have an older poorly constructed wooden or hollow door for instance, no matter what lock you have on the door, an intruder may still be able to easily kick in the door to circumvent the lock and gain entry.
Quote:
Having the right combination of a solid door, door jamb, strike plate and locks are the most effective way to secure your home. Using a lock with a 1-inch deadbolt and a reinforced metal box strike and 3-inch mounting screws to lodge in the framing beyond the door jamb can greatly improve the performance of your security. The most overlooked point of access for homeowners is a door that leads into the garage that is attached to the home, so make sure you apply these principles with all doors that gain entrance to your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House