Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:20 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house in the mountains that has both septic and a well.... I know the owners have the records for the last 25 years on the septic - not so worried about that other than I know what will eventually happen....

the Well has me a little concerned. I am waiting to hear back on how deep it is, so that will check that off the list of concerns, but my biggest concern is the pump freezing in the winter. The area gets snow and gets cold.... it is rural.... like 20 miles to the next "town". 10 miles to the closest stoplight (actually the only stoplight in the area).... I texted my agent to find out how the pump is maintained - heated - protected. But in waiting I thought I'd ask the C-D experts. What should I have to ensure I have water when the weather turns awful??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 12:30 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
I live on a house that is fed by a well into a cistern. My cistern is buried 6' below the surface of the ground, and the top of the cistern is 6" below the surface. 500gal total capacity.

We had 1.5 months of sustained below zero temperatures this winter, with several long stretches of -20 to -30F. Never had a problem with water supply. Our frost line was easily 3' deep this winter.

Your well IS below the frost line. If your well pump is located below the frost line- you're fine.

Usually well drillers record the well depth under the well cap (at least on the wells I've had). Our county also records all wells, their location and depths, plus recorded GPM. You may have the same data at your disposal.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:33 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
that makes sense. My friend in coastal Georgia has had her pump freeze several times when it got to freezing there - but they don't have a frost line.... and its mostly sandy clay so that freezes solid too. Okay - I was wondering about a pump heater or something to that extent.

Great news! thanks,

Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
There are 2 different types of set ups. My well pump is an in ground pump, so it is actually 145 feet down the well. Being that far down, it will never freeze. The well is 165 feet deep. So if your well pump is in the well, you won't have a problem. From there the main water line leaves the well, but it is 6 feet deep and insulated, and then enters the house in the crawl space where the well pressure tank is located. The crawlspace is insulated so the well pressure tank won't freeze.

The other setup that is used, normally in warmer areas, is where the well pump and pressure tank are located on the surface, normally in a well house. Those will freeze solid if not insulated properly, or heated.

So, you need to find out what type of system the home uses.

Another tip, well pressure tanks need to be replaced every 5 to 8 years, make sure that it is tested by your home inspector. The one in our home was bad, and the sellers had to replace it before we purchased the home.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:01 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
If it is in a well house the standard here is to have a ceramic light fixture in the structure (well insulated) and keep it turned on with a 100W bulb. Incandescent.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 PM

421 posts, read 544,272 times
Not sure where you are, but if it hasn't frozen yet, then it won't. I don't think the pump nor the pipes would take well to repeated freeze/thaw cycles, so they wouldn't have gone 25 years without getting it right.

Mine has never frozen up, not in NH. The pump and piping are below the frost line.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:43 PM

501 posts, read 933,194 times
Why are you concerned about how deep it is? Whether it is 100' or 500' makes no difference at this point. It does make a difference on the initial cost of the well but not of well operation after installation.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
There are 2 different types of set ups. My well pump is an in ground pump, so it is actually 145 feet down the well. Being that far down, it will never freeze. The well is 165 feet deep. So if your well pump is in the well, you won't have a problem. From there the main water line leaves the well, but it is 6 feet deep and insulated, and then enters the house in the crawl space where the well pressure tank is located. The crawlspace is insulated so the well pressure tank won't freeze.

The other setup that is used, normally in warmer areas, is where the well pump and pressure tank are located on the surface, normally in a well house. Those will freeze solid if not insulated properly, or heated.

So, you need to find out what type of system the home uses.

Another tip, well pressure tanks need to be replaced every 5 to 8 years, make sure that it is tested by your home inspector. The one in our home was bad, and the sellers had to replace it before we purchased the home.
That's something new, never heard of that before. I'll have to tell our old pressure tanks that they should have died many years ago.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
That's something new, never heard of that before. I'll have to tell our old pressure tanks that they should have died many years ago.
Yeah mines 22 years old.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:13 AM

421 posts, read 544,272 times
Yeah, mine's been untouched for 12 years. I've heard of having to refill the air bladder, but sometimes some things just last.

Unlike the expansion tank on my recirculating hot water (baseboard heat). That tank lasts maybe 5 years before the bladder gives out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House