Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM

3 posts, read 1,756 times

Advertisements

Well, I did have a crew in my house doing some light construction. They were taking a 5' section of wall out to convert to an entryway. On one side of the wall was an electrical outlet. I turned the breaker off (living room is on single breaker). Ever since turning it off and back on about 20 minutes later, two outlets plus my front porch light don't draw any power. What I know is the laborer tucked the outlet inside the wall since I told him I didn't need the outlet. I assumed they would cap it off and all, but nope. I suspect that is the problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaraw View Post
I assumed they would...
Call your "contractor" back and tell them to do their job correctly.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Could it be that that side of the room is tied to a GFCI outlet, and it was tripped?
It might be as easy as resetting it. Or, it might not be...

Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Just so I understand correctly, would them tucking the live outlet inside the wall potentially disrupt electricity to the adjacent wall?

I'm assuming the proper way to deal with that is to disconnect and cap it, yes? Detail what should have been done and how what was actually done would affect those other outlets and light switch. The wall has already been sealed and painted.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
would them tucking the live outlet inside the wall...
...be completely against code and therefore making anything else they did suspect?
You Betcha!

Quote:
The wall has already been sealed and painted.
Are you saying that you have no recourse with your "contractor"?

Old 03-18-2017, 04:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
You never want to have junctions inside the wall.

And that's basically what your 'outlet" has become.

The proper way would have been to make it a junction, leaving it accessible and putting a flat cap over it - which could then be painted if that's what you'd prefer.

Now, they'll have to damage your drywall to get to the hidden outlet and see if any wires are loose or causing a short...

Hidden junctions are a huge red flag for most people that work was done improperly and a sign of bad things to come..

Old 03-18-2017, 05:21 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Just so I understand correctly, would them tucking the live outlet inside the wall potentially disrupt electricity to the adjacent wall?

I'm assuming the proper way to deal with that is to disconnect and cap it, yes? Detail what should have been done and how what was actually done would affect those other outlets and light switch. The wall has already been sealed and painted.
This is a prime example of ignorance on your part, and stupidity on your contractor.

The "problem" is you have a "break" in a "branch circuit"-
The question is: Is the break in the J-box that was "buried" or is the break somewhere else. Personally, I wouldn't call this jack-leg contractor back- call an electrician. Then when the electric is back in service you can patch the holes, replace drywall, paint, yada, yada, yada.

Then; and only then can you say- I learned my lesson!

Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Well, I did have a crew in my house doing some light construction. They were taking a 5' section of wall out to convert to an entryway. On one side of the wall was an electrical outlet. I turned the breaker off (living room is on single breaker). Ever since turning it off and back on about 20 minutes later, two outlets plus my front porch light don't draw any power. What I know is the laborer tucked the outlet inside the wall since I told him I didn't need the outlet. I assumed they would cap it off and all, but nope. I suspect that is the problem. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Dana
Call the contractor and have them fix this before your house burns down. You don't just tuck an electrical outlet or cable into a wall.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Your contractor should have brought in a licensed electrician to handle the wiring changes. Sounds as if this didn't happen. Since you really don't know what they did, I'd advise you to get it resolved as soon as possible. Dead circuits may be caused by a loose connection and that can lead to fire.

As others pointed out, you can't have a junction hidden in a wall.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Ok, thanks for the responses. I basically wanted you all to validate what I already know.

So, yes my contractor is going to fix it. He had his C team in here and that is what the problem has been when it was supposed to be him doing the work. They told me they were going to cap it but I knew they didn't when my lights didn't work in the other half of the room. When I asked about it, he admitted he tucked it inside.

The outlet will be taken care of properly and I have no qualms about opening up the wall to do so correctly. He has already been informed what needs to happen. Thank you Briolat 21 in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House