Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:46 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,432,292 times

Advertisements

I asked about siding types on Nextdoor and the response was overwhelming and unanimous: for our (wet) climate, Hardieplank cementboard. However, no one was able to offer even a generalized cost comparison. A couple pointed me to websites that did not seem to compare apples to apples. I still don't even know what's the cheapest on average in general, or what type of situations cause the cost gaps to widen (as in, perhaps this or that type takes more man-hours in certain situations, etc.). So I thought: I bet they'll know here.

I am guessing vinyl is the cheapest. (I may have guessed wrong, but that won't cause a problem.) Let's imagine a straightforward re-siding job involving a one-story house, bid by a competent, reputable contractor at $5000 for vinyl. What's a reasonable guess what that contractor would charge for Hardieplank? For wood of good quality? For aluminum? For brick facing?

I understand that season, demand, access, and many other factors will affect the ultimate outcome, but assuming all those are the same and the only difference is the material choice, and understanding that different circumstances can impact labor cost for different materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM

8,078 posts, read 10,043,770 times
Dig around in the Fine Homebuilding web site. They did a comparison some time back...maybe a couple years....of all the various possible siding types. It was quite an apple to apples comparison IIRC.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM

17,452 posts, read 65,843,344 times
Without going into a lot of detail, I can blow your hypothetical example out the window-

A lot of vinyl siding jobs go over existing siding- Hardi can not. So, your labor cost just theoretically just doubled- take old siding/cladding off, install Hardi.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Without going into a lot of detail, I can blow your hypothetical example out the window-

A lot of vinyl siding jobs go over existing siding- Hardi can not. So, your labor cost just theoretically just doubled- take old siding/cladding off, install Hardi.
That's exactly the sort of possibilities I was imagining when I figured that different materials might require different labor costs. I'm not surprised.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,837,698 times
so it sounds like the question is sort of what is the cheapest siding that isn't T1-11 or vinyl. i have the same question.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:39 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,971,368 times
different vinyl products can vary in price by great amounts even with the same contractor depending on type; style, thickness, length, fade warranty, etc.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:16 PM

17,166 posts, read 56,931,047 times
A bit tangential to your question jkk, but, if it was me, I would "grin and bear it" until I had the dosh saved up to do the Hardieplank, even though it will cost more.

But I am always like that, I want to do the job just once, and do it right. Having had cheap shortcuts bite me on the butt a few times in my mis-spent youth, I tend to avoid them anymore.

If you stay in the house, the Hardieplank will give you many years of service, if you sell on, I would think you would recover most of your costs in higher resale value (although I don't know that for sure!)

Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
A bit tangential to your question jkk, but, if it was me, I would "grin and bear it" until I had the dosh saved up to do the Hardieplank, even though it will cost more.

But I am always like that, I want to do the job just once, and do it right. Having had cheap shortcuts bite me on the butt a few times in my mis-spent youth, I tend to avoid them anymore.

If you stay in the house, the Hardieplank will give you many years of service, if you sell on, I would think you would recover most of your costs in higher resale value (although I don't know that for sure!)
I don't doubt it; on NextDoor basically a chorus spoke up for hardieplank. In fact, it was unanimous. I have the money, that's not the issue. Most of my house doesn't need new siding. The weather side needs repainting, though, and I think the shiplap siding isn't doing that well (naturally, as it's the weather side, and the siding is wood, it would be the first to show signs). This year, these options occur to me:
  • Remove the peeling paint, do some judicious caulking, then repaint with the best stuff I can buy.
  • Re-side the weather side with new shiplap, then paint with the best stuff I can buy.
  • Re-side the weather side with Hardieplank, then paint...you get the idea.
  • Re-side the entire house with Hardie, then repaint the entire house, in spite of the fact that most of it doesn't need repainting or residing.
Maybe now it makes a little more sense; I'm reluctant to re-side and repaint the whole casa just because one side is looking kind of tatty. The only siding I've ever ordered done was some touch-up, and it was the cheap stuff (some kind of fiberboard, I think) to get a house ready for sale. Thus, I'm pretty ignorant of all this, and glad to be learning more.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 PM

2,439 posts, read 2,502,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Well isn't it possible to remove old siding yourself in order to reduce the total labor cost? I am also thinking about replacing the existing engineered wood siding on a 2nd floor with cement board. I got an estimate of about 10K. I am not sure if I should install it myself without an experience, but at least what is difficult with removing an old siding?

Old 03-26-2017, 09:52 PM

749 posts, read 731,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I asked about siding types on Nextdoor and the response was overwhelming and unanimous: for our (wet) climate, Hardieplank cementboard. However, no one was able to offer even a generalized cost comparison. A couple pointed me to websites that did not seem to compare apples to apples. I still don't even know what's the cheapest on average in general, or what type of situations cause the cost gaps to widen (as in, perhaps this or that type takes more man-hours in certain situations, etc.). So I thought: I bet they'll know here.

I am guessing vinyl is the cheapest. (I may have guessed wrong, but that won't cause a problem.) Let's imagine a straightforward re-siding job involving a one-story house, bid by a competent, reputable contractor at $5000 for vinyl. What's a reasonable guess what that contractor would charge for Hardieplank? For wood of good quality? For aluminum? For brick facing?

I understand that season, demand, access, and many other factors will affect the ultimate outcome, but assuming all those are the same and the only difference is the material choice, and understanding that different circumstances can impact labor cost for different materials.
I'll throw it out there for you in simplest terms.

You'll pay roughly 3x more for HardiePlank than for vinyl (even though there are a lot of grades of vinyl siding). Then you'll need to prime and paint it - but if you do that part right you won't have to paint again for another 10+ years.

Now... HardiePlank is superior to "cheaper" vinyl in every way imaginable. It will also increase the value of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House