Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They'll come in for the water droplets in the sink and the warm cozy spot in the couch too. But being scrupulous about food crumbs and food storage will definitely help.
Our mice were fond of the back door coat closet, which was conveniently located between the pantry with pet food, and the laundry room wastebasket with dryer lint. It was quite a nice set up they had going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 11:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Smile Chipmunks are just mice with a fancy paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Hmm. I like chipmunks, but your post reminds me of collecting Japanese beetles and feeding them to the fish in our pond. So ecological.
I wouldn't kill anything that stayed outside where it belongs.
Chipmunks and squirrels are rodents with good PR and a fancy fur coat. Chipmunks in particular may look cute, but are one of the prime reservoirs for lyme disease, and their burrowing undermines rock walls, patios, etc almost as badly as groundhogs.

I look at a chipmunk or groundhog near the house and I don't see a cute little animal, I see future repair bills.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Chipmunks and squirrels are rodents with good PR and a fancy fur coat. Chipmunks in particular may look cute, but are one of the prime reservoirs for lyme disease, and their burrowing undermines rock walls, patios, etc almost as badly as groundhogs.

I look at a chipmunk or groundhog near the house and I don't see a cute little animal, I see future repair bills.
We had a big problem with chipmunks when we first moved into our home. I knew where they were getting into our dry walling but didn't want to seal up the hole until I had got most of them out. First I tried shooting them with my BB gun. That worked but was way too slow.

So then I set up a water trap. Big plastic bucket half full with water and sprinkled sunflower seeds on top of the water. Set the bucket near their entry point and by a wall they could run up and down. Sprinkled a few seeds on top of the wall to attract them. The trap worked like a charm; they went in for the seeds and drowned. I got rid of 15 chipmunks and 5 mice in just a few days. Poured them out into the forest nearby, closed up the hole and we haven't had a problem since.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:21 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
We had a big problem with chipmunks when we first moved into our home. I knew where they were getting into our dry walling but didn't want to seal up the hole until I had got most of them out. First I tried shooting them with my BB gun. That worked but was way too slow.

So then I set up a water trap. Big plastic bucket half full with water and sprinkled sunflower seeds on top of the water. Set the bucket near their entry point and by a wall they could run up and down. Sprinkled a few seeds on top of the wall to attract them. The trap worked like a charm; they went in for the seeds and drowned. I got rid of 15 chipmunks and 5 mice in just a few days. Poured them out into the forest nearby, closed up the hole and we haven't had a problem since.
I read about this "solution" all the time (usually with regard to mice) and sorry, but it always creeps me out. Again, I absolutely hate mice (in addition to being completely and irrationally terrified of the little buggers), but I still don't want them to die a slow, agonizing death. The idea of them being stuck on a glue trap or being drowned is just horrifying to me. (This is why I think snap traps are the way to go -- normally the death is very very quick -- no prolonged suffering or total panic on the part of the rodent.)

And again, I cannot emphasize enough how much I hate rodents. But the idea of seeing a bucket full of drowned animals and realizing what an awful death I caused them ... ugh.

I can't be the only one?

Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I can't be the only one?
You are not alone. That is why we also use snap traps.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:46 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
You are not alone. That is why we also use snap traps.
I use a variety. I use snap traps AND bucket traps. The snap traps snap one and they're done until you empty and reset. The bucket traps can catch multiple rodents in one trap per night. When I have bucket traps set up (spring and fall), I rarely catch just one mouse - there are usually 3 or more (!!) in a bucket each night. (Just to be clear...these traps are set up in my garage and just outside my basement door, NOT inside my house. I consider this preventative maintenance so they do not get inside.)

Old 03-25-2017, 03:51 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
An outdoor bucket trap with drain holes, crushed rock, and Fipronil-treated straw at the bottom becomes a fast food outlet for the local feral cat population

Old 03-25-2017, 04:01 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Yes, bravely take out everything and dump it in the trash. Use rubber gloves if you're squeamish.

You don't mention what kind of trap you used. The only thing I've found that works is large-size glue boards. Put the traps either in front of a "tunnel" where they would exit (like next to your refrigerator) and especially along a wall, because that's where mice tend to run. If you're baiting a trap, mice often like peanut butter. And if he puts them in the wrong places, just move them to a better place.

Also, wash every area with warm soapy water. This is important. Mice follow the urine tracks from previous outings, so you want to remove those traces entirely.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:05 PM

749 posts, read 733,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
They live in the lower two shelves of our cabinet in the corner. They're buried underneath paper bags and dry goods. Nobody in my house wants to deal with it. I've thought of wearing gloves and blindly shoving everything into a garbage bag or bin and hoping it will catch the mice, then take out everything but the mice. I don't know how this plan will work as I have not carefully thought it out. The mice could probably scatter once they hear me coming and escape. To prevent that I could set up mice traps under the floor of where they might run to. Last night I placed some traps near the corner of our fridge and it caught one. But we only have one more trap left. Also, none of the stuff on the two shelves belong to me, minus two items I could easily remove. Is it my roommate's responsibility to clear the shelves since that stuff belongs to them? We all live in the same house so I will do it if nobody else will (looks like nobody else is doing anything), but since that stuff isn't mine, I feel weird about touching it...

Who should be paying for the traps? Our landlord or us? My roommates think it's our landlord's problem and he should do everything, but he doesn't live there so it doesn't bother him as much. So far he's been giving us the traps but placed them in the wrong places, ending up wasting them. Should I ask him to drop off more?
Grow a pair. Bait and set traps. Wear gloves when you drop the dead mouse in the garbage. Repeat process.

Mice like peanut butter, by the way.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:25 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
ecolab has a rodent bait that works every time . it is a small black box, with a bar of poison inside. the rodents die quick!. For bigger problems, in addition to the ecolab bait boxes, a broom stick, laid against a tall bucket with snacks will help you capture the pest. you will have to kill em though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House