Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,971,852 times

Advertisements

I have a pergola/patio cover that has a crossbeam/joist that are 2 2x6 matted together x 3 spanning across the width of the pergola. I noticed the end of one side of the 2x6s twisting a bit, I'm assuming due to the weight of the roof above.

When I had my home inspection done a couple years ago before I bought the house, the inspector mentioned that I should replace the 2 2x6's with a 4x6 beam. Does this sound right? Will it be stronger?

See attached pictures. I don't know what this cross beam is called, a joist?

Thanks

Patio Cover Pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM

17,416 posts, read 65,593,232 times
Just add more posts- cut the spans in half; then you don't have to replace the beams.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM

How will that solve the twisting of the end on one side of the 2x6s?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:06 AM

17,416 posts, read 65,593,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
How will that solve the twisting of the end on one side of the 2x6s?

It doesn't. But that's not the problem. PT is going to expand/contract and in some cases do a little twisting. From a structural standpoint a little twisting isn't going to compromise the structure.

But, the size of those beams and the span between posts is.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,981,806 times
You could probably price out an exterior rated laminated beam, it will not be cheap, but they do have 50 yr warranty -- Laminated (Glulam) Deck Beams - Timber Decking - Timber Technologies Products

Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,602,671 times
I think your inspector was right, but I guess the use of the 2x material - instead of 4x wood would make me question the entire structure - was this permitted work? When you're buying wood, two 2" boards really doesn't cost less than one 4" board, so I'm just wondering if this was really built by a pro. I have had to replace a 4" wide beam like that because of twisting (had nothing to do with load, just climate, wood twists when it dries out).

I'd be very wary about diy'ing this job without professional guidance- just eyeballing it from here, that's awful close to the property line & the structure seems like it's built to minimum code at best. If a previous owner just guesstimated the structure & did it without a permit, it may be unsafe & violating "setback" rules. The other side of the structure (where the roof meets the existing roof) makes me a little queasy too - do the roof joists get supported by the existing house wall, or are they just hanging by the rafter-tails?

Last edited by Zippyman; 03-31-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 10:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,981,806 times
Default Frankly I'd worry more about the side closest to the house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I think your inspector was right, but I guess the use of the 2x material - instead of 4x wood would make me question the entire structure - was this permitted work? When you're buying wood, two 2" boards really doesn't cost less than one 4" board, so I'm just wondering if this was really built by a pro. I have had to replace a 4" wide beam like that because of twisting (had nothing to do with load, just climate, wood twists when it dries out).

I'd be very wary about diy'ing this job without professional guidance- just eyeballing it from here, that's awful close to the property line & the structure seems like it's built to minimum code at best. If a previous owner just guesstimated the structure & did it without a permit, it may be unsafe & violating "setback" rules.
These are the kinds of "DIY patio covers" that always seem to fail when there is bad weather or earthquake. The point where they are attached to the home is prone to ROT and when that fails it can really damage the whole back wall of the home. If if gets "ripped down" during a catastrophic failure the costs to fix home can be very high and insurance adjusters are going to be very stingy with anything that was on the patio itself...

Old 03-31-2017, 11:12 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,602,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
These are the kinds of "DIY patio covers" that always seem to fail when there is bad weather or earthquake. The point where they are attached to the home is prone to ROT and when that fails it can really damage the whole back wall of the home. If if gets "ripped down" during a catastrophic failure the costs to fix home can be very high and insurance adjusters are going to be very stingy with anything that was on the patio itself...
Yeah, the retaining wall makes me wonder - pics kinda make it look like the retaining wall is leaning & the stairway to the sloped portion of the yard doesn't appear to meet code.. kinda looks like someone with lots of great ideas & no permits went wild.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:37 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,872,484 times
Quote:
Yeah, the retaining wall makes me wonder - pics kinda make it look like the retaining wall is leaning & the stairway to the sloped portion of the yard doesn't appear to meet code.. kinda looks like someone with lots of great ideas & no permits went wild.

dumping all of the roof water into one spot behind the wall seems a bit ill-conceived

Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:

I'd be very wary about diy'ing this job without professional guidance- just eyeballing it from here, that's awful close to the property line & the structure seems like it's built to minimum code at best. If a previous owner just guesstimated the structure & did it without a permit, it may be unsafe & violating "setback" rules. The other side of the structure (where the roof meets the existing roof) makes me a little queasy too - do the roof joists get supported by the existing house wall, or are they just hanging by the rafter-tails?
hanging by rafter tails, lag bolted to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House