Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:46 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,742 times

Advertisements

From what I'm reading, I pay a premium for repairs and renovations for living in NY metro. How much do costs vary by region, if at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
I don't know the answer but IMO you'll be paying a premium, and much more than most people initially think, no matter where you live. This is one area where I think home improvement shows aren't just silly, they do a real disservice to home buyers. They quote prices for renovation projects that aren't realistic at all, IMO. Especially this new trend of ripping out load bearing walls. You're going to end up paying a lot more than the Property Brothers would like to have you think.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I don't know the answer but IMO you'll be paying a premium, and much more than most people initially think, no matter where you live. This is one area where I think home improvement shows aren't just silly, they do a real disservice to home buyers. They quote prices for renovation projects that aren't realistic at all, IMO. Especially this new trend of ripping out load bearing walls. You're going to end up paying a lot more than the Property Brothers would like to have you think.
Yes, I know this and I don't watch those shows. I've already paid $40K+ in renovations and know the drill.

For example, the handyman charges me about $200 to install a ceiling fan/light fixture. What would that cost in your area?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Depends on what you mean by "install a ceiling fan"

Do you mean replace something that's already there?
Do you mean installing the proper brace for a ceiling fan before doing the above?
Do you mean a Completely new run of electrical, with a new switch (or a set of 3-way switches) And the above?

No idea on cost as I do my own work... too many years of paying other people and re-learning the lesson that "if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself". Funny how the quality of work skyrocketed... heh.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Yes, I know this and I don't watch those shows. I've already paid $40K+ in renovations and know the drill.

For example, the handyman charges me about $200 to install a ceiling fan/light fixture. What would that cost in your area?
One fan? Likely not much less. A handyman working all day - fixing things for the entire time he's here, maybe $300 --ish. The bargain isn't in doing small jobs, it's in clustering them & providing enough to do for several hours, a half-day, or a full day. It still costs a lot to get someone out to fix one tile, even though I can get my entire house tiled, including all materials for under $4 sq/ft, including tax, by a licensed guy.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Depends on what you mean by "install a ceiling fan"

Do you mean replace something that's already there?
Do you mean installing the proper brace for a ceiling fan before doing the above?
Do you mean a Completely new run of electrical, with a new switch (or a set of 3-way switches) And the above?

No idea on cost as I do my own work... too many years of paying other people and re-learning the lesson that "if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself". Funny how the quality of work skyrocketed... heh.
Replacing an older fan with a new one. It was already wired.

$100 per/hr. seems to be the going rate around here. Some of the work he did was good, other projects were second rate and I had to redo things myself. I'm actually taking a break from a redo as I write this.

Amateur advice to homeowner/handyman victims: acquire a few quality power tools and get some basic skills to go with them. This pays you back in spades. I do little projects now without having to pay him to come back here. I use Milwaukee M12 tools and bought an OSHA rated ladder. Expensive, but it pays you back fast. Don't be afraid to make a few mistakes. You will learn!

Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Replacing an older fan with a new one.
Amateur advice to homeowner...
Readers Digest How To Book

Get a copy

Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Higher COL area, higher renovation cost and vice versa I would think.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I'll stick to the question of the thread. Here's your "definitive" answer-

Cost vs. Value 2017 | National | Remodeling

Old 04-10-2017, 08:11 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:

That's a very high price, unless he had to spend a lot of time installing electrical on a very high ceiling.

Were you paying on an item-by-item basis?

My handyman is an expert in multiple systems and he charges by the hour for any work he does, regardless how easy or how difficult the job is. (He has some things he won't do, such as roofing, full gutters, etc., though he will patch those.)

He gets a lot of work by a lot of people in the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House