Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 AM

984 posts, read 2,717,921 times

Advertisements

We are buying a Condo and have some things we need to do to get it ready for our move.

The Range is a typical stove with an oven below. The oven does not work. If it needs to be replaced I am considering the following.
There is no dishwasher currently and we must have one. I could buy a narrow one and take out a set of drawers to give it a home.

My proposal is this. I take out the existing range. Replace it with a full size dishwasher. Above the dishwasher I'd put a stovetop. Above that in the gap where the exhaust fan is I'd put in a small stove.
I have skills to do this work myself.

I know there may a gap due to the difference in size width wise. But I can box that out and put some shelves. We'd use that for cookie sheets etc.

Any thoughts on this proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 12:09 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,449,191 times
Well, my thoughts are that if you're living in a condo, there can't be that many people and do the dishes by hand...

As for your situation, there may not be enough room between the top of a dishwasher and bottom of a cook top. Doing a quick search, that's the general consensus (no space, I didn't find any who had successfully managed that sort of install). There are other considerations too, like if you're using an electric cooktop the electronics aren't too keen on over-heating (or moisture), and packing that much "stuff" in a small space without beefing up ventilation/cooling will likely result in problems.

The best 2 known solutions I can think of are using a "portable" dishwasher that hooks to the sink and otherwise works like a rolling island:

There are counter-top versions too.... or, given it's a condo, a dish Drawer that replaces a couple other drawers (or fits in the space where the range is currently):

Sorry if I was snarky up front, I simply don't understand why dishwashers are a thing. I cook 3 meals a day, clean up by hand and have been doing so for 2 decades and hope to get in another 4 decades. It's just not a big deal, even when I host parties and cook for 20+ people who are eating on non-disposible plates.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:30 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,509,190 times
How will your stove vent then? I have a countertop stovetop and it has the venting underneath it.

I like the idea if you could figure out how to do it though without the oven being too high. Better than losing a set of cabinets in a condo kitchen

Old 04-14-2017, 01:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,548,210 times
Default Good grief...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
We are buying a Condo and have some things we need to do to get it ready for our move.

The Range is a typical stove with an oven below. The oven does not work. If it needs to be replaced I am considering the following.
There is no dishwasher currently and we must have one. I could buy a narrow one and take out a set of drawers to give it a home.

My proposal is this. I take out the existing range. Replace it with a full size dishwasher. Above the dishwasher I'd put a stovetop. Above that in the gap where the exhaust fan is I'd put in a small stove.

I know there may a gap due to the difference in size width wise. But I can box that out and put some shelves. We'd use that for cookie sheets etc.

Any thoughts on this proposal?
Where to start???

Look, ranges are generally 30", dishwashers are generally 24". It sound like you know this. What you are probably FORGETTING is that the RANGE HAS NO COUNTERTOP. If you really want a terrible looking kludge, i will remind you would need to have some "countertop" to make a filler cabinet work... Look closely at this -- https://select-cabinetry.myshopify.com/products/bfposs6 You can't "box out" a 6" gap and use if for cookie sheets. Do have any idea how kitchen cabinets are constructed?

Somebody might remember Dacor once made a 30" dishwasher that was obscenely expensive and generally terrible in every way. It is thankfully discontinued. There are probably COMMERCIAL KITCHENS with 30" dishwashing machines that require 240V, massive water / drain lines and are loud as stump grinder. You REALLY would be nuts to install that in a condo...

There is NO WAY that any "stovetop" can be installed ABOVE any dishwasher. Built-in dishwashers have to be anchored to the underside of the COUNTERTOP. Cooktops are INSET into the countertop. You can't physically have these share the same space. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY COUNTERTOP BECAUSE YOU HAVE A RANGE!!!

OMG OMG OMG
Quote:
Above that in the gap where the exhaust fan is I'd put in a small stove.
You want a TOASTER OVEN over the impossible stove over the dishwasher?!?! You realize these things are just a little more than a foot and half wide? I seriously have seen tin shacks in third world countries that would have a better "oven" ... https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...skuId=16044466

If you can't deal with a roll-about dishwasher or the "dishwasher drawers" that Brian has linked to maybe you should visit some of the other units.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:47 PM

711 posts, read 691,115 times
To your original xuggestion - no. Just no.

Without seeing the layout of your kitchen here's a layman's suggestion: replace the existing range.

Find the narrowest cabinet bank close to the sink (for plumbing purposes). Hopefully you'll have an 18" bank. Pull that out and put a 18" DW there. Make SURE before you do anything that the DW door when open will clear adjacent cabinet handles and that you won't block access to cabinets you need to put things away.

If you don't have an 18" bank of cabinets, find the closest to the sink 24" bank and pull that out. Install either:
a full size 24" DW OR
an 18" DW and fill the gap w/ shelving or an aftermarket pullout OR
a 24" single drawer and do a regular storage drawer at the bottom

What you've suggested doesn't sound functional. It doesn't sound like it would meet code. And it sounds like it would negatively impact your resale value down the road.

ETA: And since you're in a condo, keep in mind you may need to meet certain Condo construction requirements in addition to your state/local construction codes.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 PM

17,485 posts, read 66,245,399 times
While everyone is explaining this and that; and why and why not, let me just cut to the chase-

You say-
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post

No; you don't.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:42 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,723,970 times
Instead of taking on a huge project, why not look for another solution?

https://www.amazon.com/SPT-SD-2201S-.../dp/B004N4MSPO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House