Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times

Advertisements

Success and no electrician needed. As I said I could not trace the wire back as it disappeared under a patio. But I was able to identify an identical UF-B going into the panel so with the help of a more knowledgable neighbor who confirmed my finding we took off the panel and disconnected. I already knew it was tied to another breaker, the one that controlled the cellar lights and of course I had tripped that breaker. So I was never in danger but thanks for your concern.

I'll ask again: Did this situation actually drain power and bump my bill even a few pennies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,094,758 times
No load=No drain It's not like a leaky hose. Glad for your outcome Dave.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
No load=No drain It's not like a leaky hose. Glad for your outcome Dave.
That's what I thought but two different posters here referenced a drain and I couldn't figure that part out.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,204,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Check that, I identified the breaker and what it does is kill the lights to the cellar (this is a farmhouse built in 1900). Again totally unacceptable to permanently turn off that breaker. There is no visible sign of the outdoor line leaving the panel box.

I was able to pull the wire up until it joins with a junction box wrapped in plastic and duck tape. Yeah well that wasn't a well done project but at least he used UF-B. I am unable to access that junction box as the screws are rusted but I can cut the line from the house to the junction box, then cap it and bury. Again I can't trace it back to the house due to the patio. So how to bury safely is the question.
You can't bury a junction box. You have to find where the wire exits the house from the basement and terminate it there. If that wire is hot all the time even when the basement lights are off, it might be coming from the switch to those lights. It might be as simple as disconnecting the wire from power in the switch box. Try following the wires from light to light and from the switch to see where it ends up.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:42 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Success and no electrician needed. As I said I could not trace the wire back as it disappeared under a patio. But I was able to identify an identical UF-B going into the panel so with the help of a more knowledgable neighbor who confirmed my finding we took off the panel and disconnected. I already knew it was tied to another breaker, the one that controlled the cellar lights and of course I had tripped that breaker. So I was never in danger but thanks for your concern.

I'll ask again: Did this situation actually drain power and bump my bill even a few pennies?
The "drain" is more short hand for some current flow. And yes at least when it rains you might actually lose some current that basically heats the soil. I would think once the areas dries out it would be insulated by the soil and current would cease to flow. So perhaps a little when it is wet. May not be enough to be detectable in your power bill. And you might get small current flow all the time even when dry depending on the soil and its conductivity. Certainly enough to be dangerous though.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:

The wire is simply hot. It's not drawing any power so there is no usage. It's just a live wire. It's no different than having a receptacle with nothing plugged in

Old 04-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The wire is simply hot. It's not drawing any power so there is no usage. It's just a live wire. It's no different than having a receptacle with nothing plugged in
Mild disagreement. Depends on the contact to the soil and how conductive it is, particularly when wet.

Practically correct...very few such situations will draw any significant current...but under some circumstances it can happen.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
I don't understand the reason for this nasty tone. If I identified the breaker that powers this wire and shut it off it also shuts off the lights to the bathrooms. I'm pretty sure I have identified it as there is a GFI breaker on the panel. So how is tripping this breaker and forever losing lights to the bathroom the BEST ONE again?
Nasty notes are common here.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Mild disagreement. Depends on the contact to the soil and how conductive it is, particularly when wet.

Practically correct...very few such situations will draw any significant current...but under some circumstances it can happen.
Yeah but it's not drawing anything. It's leaking electricity in the surrounding soil. There is still no draw. There is nothing using the electricity. In order to use electricity you need to have something draw it and use it
I guess if somehow induction or a appliance in some way gets power off the leaking voltage (vampire draw) that gets intorduced in the soil it's possible. But that's very remote

Old 04-17-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah but it's not drawing anything. It's leaking electricity in the surrounding soil. There is still no draw. There is nothing using the electricity. In order to use electricity you need to have something draw it and use it
I guess if somehow induction or a appliance in some way gets power off the leaking voltage (vampire draw) that gets intorduced in the soil it's possible. But that's very remote
Yes there is...it is ohmicly heating the soil. There is a resistor between the hot and the neutral or between the hot and ground which is getting warm. I remember once seeing a 208 volt conductor laying in a shallow puddle bubbling a little.

Again I agree the flow will mostly be low or even nonexistent but what it is doing is using the yard as a resistance heater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House