Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If this is the case ...then why ask the Q you did?

At that market level the Q is about stainless vs see through doors...
not how best to cheap out on the purchase.
Thanks but I know the model I want; just wondering if refurbished will save me money...as stated in my OP. Wasn't asking for fridge selection guidance. I got that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 12:47 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Many times refurbs are sold with NO warranty at all - not even 90 days. If that is the case, pass. If you can get a 2 yr or more warranty (even if you have to pay) go for it.
Agreed.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
I bought my Kitchenaide Mixer refurbished about 12 years or so ago, use it almost daily and I've never had a single problem with it.

New at the time I think it was $700 and I got it for half that I think. Maybe a little more.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Agreed.

I don't not know where you guys shop but I always get offers for extended warranties on refurbished and floor models on top of the manufacturer one year warranty.
I bought a refurb double door with lower slide freezer drawer at Frys for $750. This was a $2000 fridge. Came with a factory warranty which I could extend for 1 year. I had a option to buy another warranty for 2 years. I had the fridge for 8 years now and still works fine.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:41 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
A refurbished item may not even have been defective. Returned items are "refurbished" even if only the box was nicked and original customer refused delivery. If the model new is a good refrigerator I see no reason not to buy refurbished. Buying new doesn't guarantee it will be a good unit, a refurbished unit has already had the issue repaired if there was an issue.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:48 PM

4,860 posts, read 2,672,101 times
I'd buy it if I was you..just don't buy any kitchen appliances by Samsung..they might make good phones but they make lousy kitchen appliances..I've got a $1600 Samsung fridge..had the repairman out here at least a half dozen times so far..all for the freaking ice maker..Samjunk..

my new motto is buy the cheapest thing you can find..replace when needed, which probably won't be long..almost everything made today is made to be 'disposable' ..

Old 04-23-2017, 04:59 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
After 33 years of use by my family, the Hotpoint refrigerator I had, finally quit working. So 16 years ago, I went to St. Vincent's and paid $180. for a spotless G.E. model, that worked 16 years. So I recently went back to St. Vincent's and paid $198. for another, larger and fancier G.E. that looks just like it was brand new. It came with a 90-day guarantee.

The nice thing about these older ones, is that they were made much better than the new ones are. And they have R-12 refrigerant, rather than the newer R-134A, which has a smaller molecule and leaks out gradually and would need recharging after several years. Incidentally, my Kenmore washer still runs great, after 39 years of service in the family. I bought a used Maytag dryer 16 years ago, for $160., to replace one from the family, that lasted 39 years.

A friend gave me an old Fridgidaire refrigerator 17 years ago, that I recently fired-up, to be my backup. I turn it on once every 10 days, to cool a large pot of beans I cook that often. It is now 53 years old. The 35-year old G.E. refrigerator, that I bought for $10. from a moving neighbor 16 years ago, just recently quit, after being my backup all that time. It is still useful, as a sealed, non-refrigerated storage area for things like pears, peaches, avocados and bags of beans, located in an alcove intended for a freezer, in my laundry room. It's also handy as a place to put my smoke alarm, whenever I cook on my Fridgidaire stove, which was installed by the first inhabitant of my house, 60 years ago.

Also still working, are a Wearever Popcorn Pumper and a Waring blender, that my mother got 52 years ago. The oldest appliance I have is hand-operated. It's a Swing-Away, wall-mounted can opener that's been in the family since 1934. It opens cans faster and cleaner than any electric model. Daily, I use a Healthways barbell and dumbbell set that my father bought in 1955. And I have a Wards Airline floor-model radio, made in 1924. The dial uses a 1-100 tuning scale, rather than kilocycles, which are shown as small, secondary numbers.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:14 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I'd buy it if I was you..just don't buy any kitchen appliances by Samsung..they might make good phones but they make lousy kitchen appliances..I've got a $1600 Samsung fridge..had the repairman out here at least a half dozen times so far..all for the freaking ice maker..Samjunk..

my new motto is buy the cheapest thing you can find..replace when needed, which probably won't be long..almost everything made today is made to be 'disposable' ..
Samsung makes good phones only if you consider spontaneous combustion to be a "feature". I've had nothing but trouble with anything made by Samsung, so a few years ago we decided to just stop buying Samsung. Garbage longevity.

Maytag and Jenn-Air get the same prohibition too- I've never had to buy so many replacement control panels as I do for these terrible brands. I own a rental property and have decided that the next time a panel goes, we're just going to get a new oven and dishwasher. Not worth the headache.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
I'm usually a buyer of GE and Kitchenaid refrigerators..... I have also banned LG and Samsung fridges from my list.

The condo I am needing a fridge for right now will be getting a Kitchenaid to match the other appliances. Full retail is actually said to be about $3200 but lots of stores sell it between $2700-2500, and there's a dealer selling it new for $1800. But the refurbished one is $850....that's quite a discount!

Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Is it just me or does $1800 seem to be A LOT for a new fridge?? I would by a new one, but cheaper. You CAN buy a new fridge for under $1000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House