Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
If you don't want them using your bathroom you need to rent a porta potty for their use and convenience.

Or start a local "The Home Help Sanitation Initiative". That is require all local homeowners to install outdoor bathroom facilities for use by the help. This way Miss Ann can protect the health and welfare of her household, yet still offer those who work for her some accommodation. This only works however if you have staff to clean the thing, because you *KNOW* Miss Ann won't go near the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 05:16 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Believe it or not in France it is considered "rude" for guests to ask for the "facilities" when visiting someone's home. This goes for dinner parties and really anything else outside of overnight/extended stay guests. You just don't ask. This goes back to ancien regime France and the time of kings.

It also goes a long way to explaining why until really rather recently finding public bathroom even in areas of Paris or France in general frequented by tourists could be rather difficult. The French simply believe in taking care of those needs at home. That and or simply going outdoors. It is a very common sight to see a well dressed man standing along side a parked Audi, Mercedes or BMW along a French highway taking a pee. Ditto for same but in a alley, against a building, etc...

This probably has much to do with in many European homes their might be only one bathroom, and that is part of the "private" space occupied by the family. On that side of the pond there still is often a separation of "formal" and "private" space in private homes, again mimicking the royal households of *LOL*
Weird. Where would you go if you come to your friend house to party in France? Hold it in until you come home?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:31 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Believe it or not in France it is considered "rude" for guests to ask for the "facilities" when visiting someone's home. This goes for dinner parties and really anything else outside of overnight/extended stay guests. You just don't ask. This goes back to ancien regime France and the time of kings.

It also goes a long way to explaining why until really rather recently finding public bathroom even in areas of Paris or France in general frequented by tourists could be rather difficult. The French simply believe in taking care of those needs at home. That and or simply going outdoors. It is a very common sight to see a well dressed man standing along side a parked Audi, Mercedes or BMW along a French highway taking a pee. Ditto for same but in a alley, against a building, etc...

This probably has much to do with in many European homes their might be only one bathroom, and that is part of the "private" space occupied by the family. On that side of the pond there still is often a separation of "formal" and "private" space in private homes, again mimicking the royal households of old.

In the USA homes often have "half baths" or "powder rooms" off living and or dining rooms just for guests. For one thing people need a place to wash their hands before meals (hopefully), and ladies somewhere to "pull themselves together" after a dinner party or whatever.

Americans of course by and large are more informal than Europeans. That being said you had and still have more than a few Hillary Holbrook types running amok. They aren't evil per se; just truly believe in protecting the health of their families means keeping "outsiders" (and or anyone not of their social equal) out of intimate family areas. I mean you don't know where these people have been do you? African Americans, Latino-Hispanics, the poor, etc... they all might have *germs* or something. *LOL*
Thanks for the hit of culture! Which I did figure was factor.
I'm amused that here or over there, they'll provide cheap or good wine at a dinner party, but my nature calling is the need I'd actually like to address!

Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
When I had contractors working inside my home, I had a basket of paper slippers that they could slide on over their work shoes. Before I could even mention it, they were reaching for them on their own. They were very professional which is the norm rather than the rarity. It never occurred to me to think anything at all about them using the facilities. How is their butt any different than a family member's or an invited guest? It wasn't like they were going to trash the bathroom take a bath or something.

I also had bottles of water, a covered platter of sandwiches and a large bowl of fruit that they could help themselves to whenever they wanted. They were employees paid to do a certain job just like office employees at a company or firm. Why would they be any nastier than anyone else?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Weird. Where would you go if you come to your friend house to party in France? Hold it in until you come home?

It would likely depend on several factors.

French homes and apartments vary in layout. Some have a separate W.C. (water closet) where you have just a toilet. Then there is another room with "just" the bathtub/shower and sink. Still another arrangement would have a sink elsewhere. In more modern homes say out in the suburbs or country you'll find things pretty much like in USA, full bathrooms and perhaps a powder room. That still does not mean one should take for granted full use of a W.C.

Keeping in mind modern hygiene standards mandate at least washing of one's hands before a meal, access to a W.C. or at least somewhere with a sink to wash one's hands.

{Un}Glamorous Paris: Les Toilettes | Prêt à Voyager

Lesson : Les toilettes en France

Have been to many parties in Paris, and while much varied by the crowd, many men at least went downstairs and outside to "relieve" themselves against the nearest wall. In fact peeing against walls has become so epidemic France (at least in Paris) has launched a crack down.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:12 PM

419 posts, read 387,753 times
Of course we would let any worker use our bathroom who needed to. It would seem wrong to deny this basic need to someone who was doing a job in our home. I don't think some people know how to put themselves in someone else's shoes -- how would you feel if you were the worker? We try to treat anyone who comes into our home, be they friend or worker, the same way. We always offer water or soda to workers because we wouldn't want to work for an hour or more without a drink. They're people, not machines.

It only happened to us once, and I think the poor guy felt embarrassed about it although we downplayed it. We learned after that to have a bathroom at the ready anytime we had anyone in to do work. Take up any bath throw carpets, give everything a quick clean, and make sure there's plenty of toilet paper. As others have said, take away all temptation from the medicine cabinet for your sake and the sake of the worker. No one wants to be accused of something if you think something might be missing afterward.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisawis View Post
I am wondering if since no other contractor has asked to use the
bathroom most of them try not to use the customer's bathroom.
And do you think it's OK to tell them they can't use it? There is
a place nearby, 5 minute ride, with public bathrooms.
As a service worker, that's the douche-ist thing I've ever heard. Never once has somebody told me I couldn't use the bathroom. Like it's some optional thing when you have to go! Unreal. Next time your about to wet the front of your pants or fill the back, do yourself a favor and take a 5 minute ride. People like you and your husband are whats wrong with the world. God forbid some lowlife that has to work for a living has to complete a biological function in the same place you do!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Thanks for the hit of culture! Which I did figure was factor.
I'm amused that here or over there, they'll provide cheap or good wine at a dinner party, but my nature calling is the need I'd actually like to address!

You learn to "hold it", and well you would if you've seen the state of some public bathrooms in France. I thought that bit about squat toilets was just a gag, but it isn't.

Again at least for the men, peeing outdoors has been going on for ages; for the ladies am sure there UTIs must be at epidemic levels. *LOL*

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-urine-compost

9 Things They Don’t Tell You About Paris | Angry Zen Master

Paris mayor moves to stop public urinating - Telegraph

The French Art of Peeing in Public

It is rather a contrast isn't it? You aren't supposed to ask to use the facilities in someone's home, and public ones can be hard to find and or require payment; but doing your business on the street *seems* fine by many.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
When I have had contractors on property,depending on job,I would show where bathroom was.
Maybe only one time can I remember anyone using bathroom.Most of the time they take a lunch break.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:46 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,881,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
As a service worker, that's the douche-ist thing I've ever heard. Never once has somebody told me I couldn't use the bathroom. Like it's some optional thing when you have to go! Unreal. Next time your about to wet the front of your pants or fill the back, do yourself a favor and take a 5 minute ride. People like you and your husband are whats wrong with the world. God forbid some lowlife that has to work for a living has to complete a biological function in the same place you do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House