Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 03:00 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times

Advertisements

Maybe install a portable potty on your property the next time you have a contractor come to do a job , add that to your cost .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 03:01 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
ROFL at the bathroom being a "sacred space" . . . what, do people pray in there, or what? Since when is s**t sacred?

There are times when people do pray at the "porcelain alter."

Cat

Old 04-27-2017, 03:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
I assume they weren't using your master bedroom bath where your personal items are kept, but were using the guest bath. I don't see a problem with that. That's what guest baths are for, people who are at your house for whatever reason.

It's better than having them go in your yard.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:16 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
ROFL at the bathroom being a "sacred space" . . . what, do people pray in there, or what? Since when is s**t sacred?
Note that when something is in double quotes, it isn't the literal meaning.

No, I've been a guest to other people's bathrooms and have seen some "sacred" things...
Magazine racks
Mini book shelves for 5 or 6 books
Piles of newspapers
comic books
Cigarette/smoking accessories, complete with tobacco products
Rubiks cubes
other hand puzzles
Charging cables for electronic devices
Nintendo DS
Ipads + Ipad stands/mounts

And the bathroom was indeed spotless!

... In some of the cases above, I was also privy to their bedrooms, kitchen, living room, study/den/computer room. When you take their house as a whole, you'd think they spent most of their time in the bathroom

Old 04-27-2017, 03:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Maybe install a portable potty on your property the next time you have a contractor come to do a job , add that to your cost .....
But what ever would Muffy and Buffy from the HOA say about that over their white wine spritzers at the club?!

I mean, come on people. Think!

Old 04-27-2017, 03:49 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It's better than having them go in your yard.
I think that's what happened here yesterday. We had some guys do work outside, and I was going to let them know that they were welcome to use the bathroom, but I didn't. I thought I'd just let them ask. Some hours later, I saw one guy walk out of view of the security camera, so I assume he was going about his business.

I let the exterior painters enter to use the bathroom and offered bottled water. Of course, if I hadn't offered water, maybe they wouldn't have needed the bathroom.

The door guys didn't use the bathroom, but the Asian guy helped himself to our microwave without asking (I was pissed! He didn't offer to share that great smelling food), while the Latino stayed outside. I think he was not amused by his partner.

When our refrigerator was delivered on a hot day, I gave the delivery guys some cold bottled water which they appreciated.

They're just trying to get a job done, so if I can do something to make it easier and quicker, I'll do it.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
I only read a few posts and I just don't understand the issue with letting someone use your bathroom if their doing work in your home! I would think they wouldn't make a mess if they want to get paid!

Old 04-28-2017, 03:33 AM

155 posts, read 156,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Always a difficult situation. We just recently finished two bathroom remodels and each one required contractors on the job for anywhere from six to sometimes ten hours a day.
Due to it being a relatively small project, we usually only had one person on site, sometimes two, never more.
We are not big on sharing a bathroom with strangers either, but we bit the bullet and allowed them to use one bathroom, and thoroughly cleaned it at the end of each day. We are clean/neat freaks, so it was difficult but we survived.
We made the exception because we wanted the project completed in the minimum amount of time, and we discovered that when they would leave for food or material, they sometimes didn't return for hours.
It's not something I'm excited about, but it is only for a few days, so do what you have to do to get the job finished and get rid of the contractors.
Construction projects are never fun, and not just for the bathroom issue, you lose all privacy, even if the work is being done on the exterior, and usually live in a dusty mess. A two or three week project seems to drag on forever with people wandering in and out and around your home. It places you out of your comfort zone..!
Make the best of it, soldier through, get it finished whatever it takes, and soon it will be a distant memory.
Good luck....
Exactly.

We did a bathroom remodel here that took two weeks a few years ago. 2 people here from 9-6, 6 days a week with others coming and going. We went to Mexico for the second week of that and let the contractor have the house while we were gone. Planned it that way from the start and it worked out great. The few details that needed to be handled while we were gone were done via text messages and the job was done when we got back. You can't do this if you're a micromanager or have big trust issues, though.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Include the cost of a porta-potty in your contract. or clearly state your preferences before accepting the proposal so they can include the added expense of work stoppage/time delay to the job.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisawis View Post
I've been in my house 19 years and have had lots of people doing various
work. None of them ever asked to use my bathroom until a recent
interior paint job. The painters were only here for about 3 hours at
a time, and one of them asked to use the bathroom. I said fine.
Then the other 2 painters also used it.
My husband was not happy about this. I want to have some
more painting done, by the same people, but my husband wants me
to tell them they can't use our bathroom.
I am wondering if since no other contractor has asked to use the
bathroom most of them try not to use the customer's bathroom.
And do you think it's OK to tell them they can't use it? There is
a place nearby, 5 minute ride, with public bathrooms.
Of COURSE they have to use the bathroom! Just like YOU do. And yes, it should be the bathroom on the premises. A 5 minute ride when you have to go? Are you kidding me? Seriously?

I've had a number of workers in my place over the years. Sometimes I even point out where the bathroom is, so they don't have to ask.

I provide cold water, if it's hot. Try to keep the a/c at a good temp for working, close the dogs up in another room.

Workers are human beings. Human beings need to consume liquids and use the bathroom. They are just like you are. Have you ever gone to work in someone's house for the day or half day? Do it. Then try not to drink anything or use the bathroom...or worse, have to stop work, tell the owner you're leaving to go urinate, then get in your car and drive to use a public restroom..and put the job 1/2 hour behind. Imagine how that would make you feel, as a human being. That the person who hired you to work thinks you are so lowly that they won't let you use their restroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House