Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 05:49 PM

312 posts, read 831,123 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently purchased a second hand Haier window AC unit (Model ESAQ406P) but I am having trouble installing because my vinyl windows don't have a typical sill, but instead a channel.

Not sure if all AC windows are like this, but the curtain kit connects to a track on the bottom of the unit that sticks out, it's not completely flat (you can see in one of the pictures).

When I try installing the unit with the track inside the channel, it ends up tilted forward and I know it's not supposed to sit this way. When I try to install it straight, the track sits on top of the window "sill", actually one of the sides of the channel, which doesn't seem secure at all.

I thought of a couple solutions, although none sound great:

- Place a piece of wood in the channel so the bottom is flat (no channel) - still, is it normal to rest the unit on the curtain track? There would be a gap on the bottom. And per page 14 on the manual doesn't seem to be how it's supposed to sit.

- Drill 2 additional holes on top of the unit, so when installing with the track inside the channel, the curtain would be a little tilted, but the unit would straight (in fact I think it's supposed to tilt a bit backward per manual).

- I didn't pay much for the used unit ($140) and could just try to resell, maybe a window unit is not the best for the type of window in my room. I do own a portable unit that I currently use but it takes a lot of space.

It would be great to get some thoughts on this.

Thank you very much

Link to the AC's manual
Attached Thumbnails
Need help installing a window A/C-img_1870.jpg   Need help installing a window A/C-img_1871.jpg   Need help installing a window A/C-img_1872.jpg   Need help installing a window A/C-img_1873.jpg   Need help installing a window A/C-img_1874.jpg  

Need help installing a window A/C-img_1875.jpg  

Last edited by skubaman; 07-01-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 06:07 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,680,057 times
I'd consider the option with a wood spacer under the unit - if you don't have the ability to "rip" a board to the correct width/thickness for a perfect fit, you might even try a dowel. I'd personally try for the most "secure" option, whatever that ended up being, but avoid resting the unit on the vinyl window as the metal track on the bottom could gouge/ding the window..

The last one I installed suggested the unit should be tilted slightly towards the outside of the home, that's where the "drip fitting" was..

I don't think there's a wrong way to install those, as long as it's secure.. I've always had to use a little duct-tape as well, for sealing.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I'd consider the option with a wood spacer under the unit - if you don't have the ability to "rip" a board to the correct width/thickness for a perfect fit, you might even try a dowel.
Thanks for response. Do you mean to install with the track inside the channel but use a space just to make sure the vinyl channel is not baring any weight from the unit?

I would still have the issue of the unit tilting forward, because what causes it to tilt is the curtain frame, if the bottom will be in the channel but the top on the outside of the sash, it will cause the unit to tilt. Unless as I mentioned I drill 2 extra holes on the top of the unit, a little bit forward, that way making the unit sit balanced or tilting slightly back.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
Thanks for response. Do you mean to install with the track inside the channel but use a space just to make sure the vinyl channel is not baring any weight from the unit?

I would still have the issue of the unit tilting forward, because what causes it to tilt is the curtain frame, if the bottom will be in the channel but the top on the outside of the sash, it will cause the unit to tilt. Unless as I mentioned I drill 2 extra holes on the top of the unit, a little bit forward, that way making the unit sit balanced or tilting slightly back.
I'd go for the bottom also, but perpendicular to raise it just enough to angle it out the window. Try to find Polyurethane Smooth Flat Trim Moulding. If you have a non-chain lumber yard you can possibly get in a short length as it's expensive in long length. I'd drill it flat and not into the channel.

Moulding - Moulding & Millwork - Building Materials - The Home Depot

If not, look for PVC moulding.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Royal-Mould...x-8-ft/3339716

Old 07-01-2017, 09:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
You have no idea what I go through to install an A/C every time I need to in this house. Some moron installed two sets of windows in some rooms. Not double pane ..two sets of framed windows.

In the OP's case the panel channel is fitting into the window sill channel. The problem is when he brings the window down behind the top bar it tilts the unit inward. I can tell you for a fact tilting units back 1/2 a bubble use to cut it. These Chinese crap A/C's don't drain nearly as well as older U.S. made units.

One option would be to remove the screws from the accordion panels on the sides of the unit. Remove the screws from the top bar and move the top bar forward a 1/2" or so. Then using very short screws drill and remount the bar in the new position. Then install the panels and re-drill holes and place very short screws in new holes. This method requires some work and being very careful not to hit refrigerant lines or electrical components. So unless you're skilled in this way I do not recommend it.

Easiest thing to do as others have hit on is to cut a 1x2 or 1"x 3" and place just in front of the frame at the bottom of the window sill and set the A/C on it. It's all a matter of lining up panels so they'll still go in the window sides. Top bar with window pulled down behind it and a decent tilt to the outside on the A/C. It's a PIA but there are many solutions none are really simple or perfect. Good luck.

When you finish put a couple screws up at the top of the window. One on each side so the window cannot be raised.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:26 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
OP, even with your explanation and the pictures I am not sure what you mean (e.g., still not sure what "channel" means in terms of windows).

With my windows (house built in 1960), I don't have "channels" but I do have storm windows (which stay on all year -- you move the pieces up/down to use the storm window or the screen). This means that I have to set my window a/c's on a piece of wood (as others have suggested for you) -- the wood's purpose is to get the a/c high enough to still be at a slight angle (tilting downward) even after it "hits" the back piece of the storm window. (Without the wood, the a/c will fit in the window but will be tilted INWARD, which you definitely don't want! The wood is high enough to allow the a/c to "clear" the back piece of the storm window and thus tilt the a/c downward, as it's supposed to be.) Sorry, this is hard to explain, but it sounds like the piece of wood might work for you too if what you need to do is get the a/c tilted correctly (and that really is critically important with window a/c's!).

I just use a plain old 2x4 cut to the width of my window sill. After I install the window a/c's, I shove foam all around and under them to close any gaps (like the gaps shown in your photo) -- otherwise, bugs/flies can get inside. (My window a/c's have all come with foam just for that purpose, and I always buy more at Home Depot or wherever. It's cheap and works well.)

Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice, some of you understood what the challenge was. Wasn't so much about elevating the AC unit, but how to make it not tilt forward.

Anyway, my idea described on first post worked well.

I moved the top support forward by drilling 4 new holes, and for the base I used to pieces of flat moulding.
Now the curtain is at an angle, but the unit sits a tad tilted backwards, hopefully will be enough tilt.

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Need help installing a window A/C-img_1886.jpg   Need help installing a window A/C-img_1887.jpg   Need help installing a window A/C-img_1888.jpg  

Old 07-04-2017, 04:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
Thanks for all the advice, some of you understood what the challenge was. Wasn't so much about elevating the AC unit, but how to make it not tilt forward.

Anyway, my idea described on first post worked well.

I moved the top support forward by drilling 4 new holes, and for the base I used to pieces of flat moulding.
Now the curtain is at an angle, but the unit sits a tad tilted backwards, hopefully will be enough tilt.

Thanks again
FWIW, I have an almost identical A/C, and vinyl window, and it installed and tilted OK out of the box.. Based on your "fix", I just now measured how the "curtain" is attached to the A/C unit, and it measures about 1/2" angled just like yours is now.

So ISTM ideally yours should have come from factory with that angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House