Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:24 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
yeah you're probably right, I would rather have a UPS like this but there are none that are reliable and reasonably priced. I don't want a complicated setup and don't want to install a second sump pump, I just want a relay that will switch from AC power to battery backup in the event it detects a power outage.. if someone can find a good system for cheap throw a link in this thread. Thanks!
I completely agree. IF this was priced around $200 which is about what I think it's worth, I'd buy it myself. I'm trying to figure out a good backup in my situation. $600~, then you also have to buy at least a single $100~ battery, is just nuts. There's no way that device costs more than maybe $100 at most for them to build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:24 PM

I just found this, some real good info in it: https://www.tripplite.com/shared/lit...hite-paper.pdf

I'm looking at 1500watt continuous/3,000watt peak inverter/chargers that switch from wall power to battery power automatically. It looks like you can buy one for around $155~ US delivered. That size minimum will easily run at least a 1/2hp sump pump, and maybe a little larger. You then would need some 4 gauge battery wires, a 200amp ANR dc fuse, and at least one deep-cycle 12volt battery. That would be at least another $100~.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...tery/131118029 My last one of these batteries lasted 10 years, used as a trolling motor battery, AND used to start my backup diesel generator for my house.

So, for a hair less than 1/2 the cost of JUST that sump pump inverter/ups on Amazon shown up thread, you'd have an entire backup including the battery pack. Heck, you could buy TWO batteries to wire in parallel to double the runtime, and still save more than $200 over just that Amazon device.

You wouldn't need multiple pumps, or junky little 12 volt backup pumps with 1/5th the capacity of your regular pump, etc.

At the least, this home-built sump pump ups system I'm laying out here will give you more than enough time to keep your basement from flooding, and to get your generator ready if the power outage lasts longer than your battery backup.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Here's yet another way to go, close to what I describe above but this inverter doesn't include a built-in charger so is a bit more complicated in that you have to provide your own transfer switching via a DPDT relay. Then you also need a separate battery charger.

http://rogersarchiveohio.com/SUMPPUMP.pdf

http://rogersarchiveohio.com/SUMPPUMP2.pdf

P.S. On the thread above I mentioned using 4 gauge battery wiring from battery to inverter. Well, perhaps 1 gauge, or even larger 1/0 gauge copper cable would be safer. At full draw, this could potentially draw over 150 amps at 12 volt out of the battery bank.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
There may be nothing he can do. If he has a high water table or underground stream, then that pit will always keep filling.
Similar issue here, the house was built in '51 and they did put in drain tiles and gravity drain. The gravity drain still works but it's about a 300 foot length to the road. It's also constructed of octagonal clay drain tiles. While it works it's just not enough for really heavy rain you might see every couple of years and it will back up. Fixing it with a new pipe.... $$$. Just not worth it for the few occasions it's needed. Even if it does backup there really isn't much to damage and it's clean water...

Old 05-01-2017, 06:44 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Should of mentioned this earlier but be sure to look a the GPM, it will be limited compared to a good pump. I wouldn't suggest it as the only plan. Be ready with a backup primary pump. As someone else mentioned it will fail at some point. Those pumps may also be difficult to obtain when you need them the most.
This is a good point, and for the water-powered ones, will be dependent on your water pressure. In my situation the water powered ones would have about 1/3 to 1/2 the flow rate of my primary. Since even in the worst storms, my primary only kicks on for about 15 seconds every few minutes, I probably have plenty of room to spare, but others may not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You got that backwards. It needs 1 gallon of city water to pump out TWO gallons of sump-water.

I wouldn't install one as primary, but it sounds to me like a GREAT idea for an emergency backup!
Yes, not paying enough attention to what I typed when I typed it. I did have it backwards, thanks for posting the correction.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Are your 2 sump pumps in the same pit?

I see some systems that come with 3 pumps....2 main and a battery-back up, all in the same pit. The problem with this is that all that stuff leaves less room for the actual water. That means the water fills up much faster and runs the pump a lot more often.
No we have two sumps. Only one pump in each. Although have water back up in each pit (never used).

After the flood, we decided we needed two separate sumps due to the size and configuration of our basement. However they also serve as a back up to one another because they are connected.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:48 AM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I do have a back up generator, but am far more worried with the pump actually going dead then I am with losing power. I may be forced to dig out another sump well but I don't want these pumps competing against each other and it would seem that a shallower sump pit would trigger the back up pump first, which is what I do not want.
Also rig a wet basement alarm. This detects water on the floor (or uses another float high in the sump pit) and warns you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House