Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,660 times

Advertisements

We bought a property and redoing the garage. The previous owner installed a 38 gallon tank (property is about 1350 sq ft) manufactured in 2010. The previous one apparently had a leak which caused the water heater stand to grow black mold. I'm having to replace the stand and repair areas surrounding it, and I'm paying the plumber $300 to take the water heater down and install it again while I do this. We are also finishing out the garage, spending a good amount of money on drywall and electrician with EV charger, etc.

Now I'm thinking... should I spent an extra $600 to get a new, 50 gallon tank to replace a 7 year old, working water heater? I live in So California and have hard water. We haven't moved in yet and have money going out on other things. They say the life expectancy of a water heater is 8-12 years old... and the plumber says just keep the old one and replace it when it dies. It's hard making a decision to replace something that's working fine.

Anyone would like to chime in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athomefixing View Post
Should I replace my 7 year old tank water heater?
Not because it is 7 years old... NO.

Quote:
They say the life expectancy of a water heater is 8-12 years old...
That depends on where you are... water conditions, filtering, maintenance etc. LINK
And to a lesser degree on the heater itself (anode rods etc)
In many places WH life is well over 20 years.

btw... who is this "they" that you credit so highly?

Quote:
I live in So California and have hard water.
...plumber says just keep the old one and replace it when it dies.
I tend to agree.

But I would poke around to see what filtering, maintenance, etc your neighbors are doing.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:48 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
WH life only 8~12 years? Who says that? Of the 4 homes I've owned, only one had something newer than 15 years (current), though I did have to replace the WH in my first house... it was 38 years old and original to the home.

You can do a couple things, use a catch-basin under the heater with a water sensor so you know the moment it starts to leak, drain the heater yearly to flush out sediment and maybe look into filtering/treating the water.

I certainly wouldn't replace what I consider to be a fairly new water heater... heck, even the guy who could make a few more bucks off you if you did, is telling you not to.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default Depends on what your real motivation is ...

Quote:
We bought a property and redoing the garage. The previous owner installed a 38 gallon tank (property is about 1350 sq ft) manufactured in 2010. The previous one apparently had a leak which caused the water heater stand to grow black mold. I'm having to replace the stand and repair areas surrounding it, and I'm paying the plumber $300 to take the water heater down and install it again while I do this. We are also finishing out the garage, spending a good amount of money on drywall and electrician with EV charger, etc.

Now I'm thinking... should I spent an extra $600 to get a new, 50 gallon tank to replace a 7 year old, working water heater? I live in So California and have hard water. We haven't moved in yet and have money going out on other things. They say the life expectancy of a water heater is 8-12 years old... and the plumber says just keep the old one and replace it when it dies. It's hard making a decision to replace something that's working fine.

As other have said, replacement before failure is generally NOT a good idea from a purely out of pocket "budget" standpoint.

That said, even though a 1350 sg ft home is DARNED SMALL these days the fact is a 38 gallon wh is pathetically SMALL -- one good load of laundry or cycle of the dishwasher and you will be taking a COLD bath!

You won't see a huge difference with 12 more gallons of capacity, but there are other options. If you are already committed spending money to "fancy up" your garage AND are planning on having a EV you almost certainly should consider a HEAT PUMP wh. In SoCal a heat pump type WH will be able to COOL YOUR GARAGE and essentially use the other wise wasted warmth of your garage to heat water ON THE CHEAP.

The DOE has a site that explains what variables you need to determine a payback period for this decision -- https://energy.gov/energysaver/estim...-water-heaters

Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
give it a good flush and check the anode rod. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine's over 10 years old and I have no plans to replace it. I have an AO Smith brand installed by a local company though, not a lowes special. Properly flushed with the anode rod replaced when needed, a water heater, particularly a gas one, can last 20 years.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:42 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
Mine is 12 years old - installed by builder. It's never been flushed �� I guess some people said not to flush because after this long, I may start a leak by flushing. I don't use much hot water so will just let it ride a few more years.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:25 AM

749 posts, read 734,021 times
Quote:

First of all, water heaters typically last a long more than 8-12 years. So replacing the current WH is probably unnecessary.

That said, since you're already spending a lot of money, and extra $600 is probably a drop in the bucket, and a small price to pay for having everything new.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:39 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
give it a good flush and check the anode rod. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine's over 10 years old and I have no plans to replace it. I have an AO Smith brand installed by a local company though, not a lowes special. Properly flushed with the anode rod replaced when needed, a water heater, particularly a gas one, can last 20 years.

Is this something a layperson can do? I am in the process of buying a 47 year old house that belonged to my late aunt. She was not a person that did preventive maintenance although the WH is somewhere around 6-10 years old. I figured I would just get a trusted plumber I know from church to service it once or twice a year.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:21 AM

749 posts, read 734,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Is this something a layperson can do? I am in the process of buying a 47 year old house that belonged to my late aunt. She was not a person that did preventive maintenance although the WH is somewhere around 6-10 years old. I figured I would just get a trusted plumber I know from church to service it once or twice a year.
If you have a trusted plumber, you're good to go.

That said, whether or not you can do these basic procedures depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
I am not mechanically inclined. I'm surprised I can change a light bulb without help. My problem is I am a visual learner. If I watched somebody check the anode rod or drain the WH, I could probably do it but if I read something about how to do it, I would be lost.

I know how to put windshield washer fluid in my car. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House