Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM

569 posts, read 1,058,872 times

Advertisements

We did. We got a big house (for the area) with an in-law suite, pool, huge yard (for the area), and totally new upscale(ish) flooring, cabinets, appliances, bathrooms, etc. for a relatively low price, so it was definitely worth it despite my thinking the pointy stucco, small-windowed front of the house looks pretty ugly. It checked off everything else for my growing family with live-in father in law, and we love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 02:22 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
No, if the outside was ugly and would take too much money to bring up to my standards then I would not purchase it. The home is about the inside as well as the appearance on the outside.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
If a house had everything I wanted on the inside, the lot I wanted, and everything else, then who cares what the outside looks like? That can be changed. Can't change the location. It's much easier to paint a house or reside it than it is to gut a house and rebuild it.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:31 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
If the house is a horrendously ugly with zero curb appeal I would not buy. Curb appeal is important to many. Cute houses sell fast. Ugly ones not so much unless the price is really good.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
No...I love my classic 2 story farmhouse....lol I love it so much that it often makes me smile looking at it as I drive up (it's the house I always dreamed of) sometimes when I drive away I like to look at it in the rear view mirror.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:00 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
We just did!

Its a new build stuck between Tudor and Craftsman style. The on-line pics are pretty bad, the house looks better in person. We loved the layout and neighborhood and the lot isn't as big of a hill as it appears in the pic (most of the lots in neighborhood are hilly). I figured we could do some landscaping and eventually paint it and it will be a lot better. We feel we got a good deal for the size, layout and interior finishes.

I was actually thinking about starting a thread on how to make it prettier! The columns definitely need to be another color - they are almost purple. The house is more in the green/gray family than blue.
That house has potential! A lot could be fixed with more earth-tone colors, to tie into the brick and to be more appropriate for the Craftsman/Tudor architecture. Also, add some landscaping (nice shrubs, or small ornamental tree(s) on the hill, under the window, to the right.

Here is my house, as it looked over 6 years ago:

It's still a work in progress, but I think it looks much better now.

^That's actually from early April.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:06 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
If all other conditions are met, absolutely I would.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 PM

284 posts, read 379,175 times
A house we were considering was butt ugly. I tried playing with photoshop to try to improve it, but it is just an ugly shape, ugly design, ugly style. The interior was incredible, the location fabulous, and construction quality was superb. Solid concrete, built like a bunker. Problem was, it looked like a bunker. We passed.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
That house has potential! A lot could be fixed with more earth-tone colors, to tie into the brick and to be more appropriate for the Craftsman/Tudor architecture. Also, add some landscaping (nice shrubs, or small ornamental tree(s) on the hill, under the window, to the right.

Here is my house, as it looked over 6 years ago:

It's still a work in progress, but I think it looks much better now.

^That's actually from early April.
It's a shame that big (blue spruce?) had to go but it outgrew its location twenty years ago.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 AM

503 posts, read 772,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's a shame that big (blue spruce?) had to go but it outgrew its location twenty years ago.
And the house next door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House