Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I remember when I got my first lawn mower last year. It wasn't so much the mower, as it was finally buying a house with a lawn and being able to do things I've only been able to see done on TV as examples of "typical suburban living"

I remember neighbors asking me who I was going to use for grass cutting service. They thought I was nuts when I said I couldn't wait to do it myself!

So it's less about the mower...and more about what buying a mower means
Absolutely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 11:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Welcome to the joys of homeownership and all the toys you get to own. We have an old Troybuilt lawn tractor the neighbor gave to us 5 years ago that chews belts. We use it for hauling wood, garbage/recycling up long driveway, garden debris to cold compost pile, etc. We just invested in a Kubota tractor with front end loader. Now, we are having fun. Next, you will want to buy a weed eater and chainsaw.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:58 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Snowblower too if you live where it snows.

Bigger IS better.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Anyway enough of all that social commentary. My next purchase I think will be a string trimmer. I did used to have a B&D corded electric trimmer, and it was not very powerful, so this time I'm going with a traditional gasoline model that will actually chop stuff.
FWIW, Stihl makes an electric/corded string trimmer that's every bit as good as cheap/low end gas string trimmers with none of the issues that comes with gas models. I've had mine for about 8 years now, the biggest complaint being that some Stihl dealers are terrible with customer service and I've had a little issue in getting replacement consumables. It's the right tool for a home-owner on a smallish piece of land, not for commercial work or clearing fields of weeds. If you're using a walk-behind mower, it's Probably the right tool to accompany that job.

FSE 60 is the model, I think they are selling for just over $100.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
I remember when I got my first lawn mower last year. It wasn't so much the mower, as it was finally buying a house with a lawn and being able to do things I've only been able to see done on TV as examples of "typical suburban living"

I remember neighbors asking me who I was going to use for grass cutting service. They thought I was nuts when I said I couldn't wait to do it myself!

There is so much meaning in your post. I remember living in Florida and loved wandering around Home Depot knowing I could buy stuff for my house. When I moved to Colorado, we were in an apartment for a year before we bought a house. About 6 months into the apartment lease, I realized how much I missed just wandering around Home Depot thinking of all the projects I would love to start. After buying a house again, I loved the fact that I was finally able to start projects again(which included lawn maintenance).It is a proud and fun moment for a lot of people.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
It's a 22" Toro front wheel drive from the Ace Hardware. It's not a rider/tractor, isn't the most powerful machine out there, no automatic starter... but it's new, and it's mine!

What I'd truly love to own is a stander:
32" Wright Stander

But for now, I'm enjoying the self-propelled mower. The one thing is that it doesn't handle long, damp grass too well. I only got half the front yard done yesterday and had to bail because it started raining (do mowers keep on working in the rain?). It stalled out about eight times, because I didn't realize I needed to raise the height and run over the long grass twice.

But once the grass is back under control, it's going to be sweet. It's also nowhere near as loud as I feared. I was thinking about going electric, just because of the noise factor, but this thing isn't that bad, and the electrics come with huge compromises -- expensive, and limited time between charges.

A new mower. It's one of the hallmarks of suburban living! And soon to experiencing the joys of cleaning it post-mowing, adding oil, and sharpening the blade....
Ouch, I used to live on a piece of ground that was .61 of an acre and 2/3 of it was grass. It was always push mower cut. Beg as I did, Mom never got a riding mower. I once had one guy willing to sell his old one for $100. She refused and he sold it for $225 later.....

Mowing, sharpening the blade, walking the yard (Looking for any odds and ends that might damage it) raking, bagging, composting, stepping in dog poop (Not the most fun thing) cleaning the mower at the end and checking oil and gas....

Glad I don't have to do that now.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:02 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
It's a 22" Toro front wheel drive from the Ace Hardware. It's not a rider/tractor, isn't the most powerful machine out there, no automatic starter... but it's new, and it's mine!

32" Wright Stander

A new mower. It's one of the hallmarks of suburban living! And soon to experiencing the joys of cleaning it post-mowing, adding oil, and sharpening the blade....

Thanks for reminding me how much fun this all is. I'll be hiring a lawn service when I get into my house.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Quote:

32" Wright Stander

But for now, I'm enjoying the self-propelled mower. The one thing is that it doesn't handle long, damp grass too well. I only got half the front yard done yesterday and had to bail because it started raining (do mowers keep on working in the rain?). It stalled out about eight times, because I didn't realize I needed to raise the height and run over the long grass twice.

But once the grass is back under control, it's going to be sweet. It's also nowhere near as loud as I feared. I was thinking about going electric, just because of the noise factor, but this thing isn't that bad, and the electrics come with huge compromises -- expensive, and limited time between charges.

irman gives you some good advice in post 16. I can't emphasize enough not mowing your grass when it is wet, and to always mow it as high as possible especially when it is high. I have never seen a mower that will handle high wet grass.

My suggestions are do not bag your grass clippings, pick up sticks and keep your blade sharpened, do not use weed and feed type fertilizer, and don't use a weed wacker. Weed and feed must stick on wet weeds to work and will be ineffective if it is washed off by rain. Buying liquid weed killer that you spray on the weeds is more effective. Regarding weed eaters, you need to wear goggles and long pants or you'll pay the price. Unless your are a pro, you end of butchering the grass and getting crabgrass growing in those areas. They are also rough on trees.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:

Yeah, for me it's partly that, and partly that I just enjoy doing it myself. DIY is fun, good exercise, and saves money!

I'm going to need to rent a tiller and work that yard over; it's lumpy and the topsoil I've been dumping on it doesn't seem to be fixing it. The neighbors hired a guy with an earth mover yesterday that scooped up their whole yard, and will be laying down new sod, nice and simple fix. I don't know; that seems like cheating. But their yard will probably look great when it's done.

Yesterday on my lunch hour I finished the front yard and the side yard. I had to resist doing the back yard. Will save that for tomorrow when it'll be sunny

Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I maintain many of the rentals... mowing is never a chore and it gives me a chance to take care of anything on my to do list.

Lawns have a bad wrap here in Northern CA but I'd rather mow than maintain a rock garden etc...

I started with a push mower at age 8 mowing lawns for money...

Later I bought $99 Craftsman mowers and used them until the deck would rust through...

Most stuff now is Honda Powered... but I still have a monster Yazoo mower that is a beast, plus commercial Honda and Toro (2-Stroke)

Dads Echo Brush Cutter has about 1000 hours on it in 30+ years... we kids gave it to him for Father's Day and think of him each Spring when I'm using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House