Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:30 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I never make the bed. My wife does that. I have found that if I fail to do things to her standards I end up not ever getting to do those things again. My wife makes the bed every morning.

Our kids on the other hand are not so lucky. They have to make their beds and clean their rooms before they leave for the day.
It's so much easier for 2 people to make a bed together rather than the one running around the bed...you couldn't "mess up" with her helping, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 06:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
Never. Actually I do make it when company comes over or when our cleaning ladies come. But that's about it.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:23 AM

126,274 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's the aesthetic part of it.
But truth is - we should not make our beds as soon we get up. The simple reason is that we prevent it to get aired and all the heat and moisture of your body is trapped and neatly covered, without giving an opportunity to escape. Great environment for dust mites to breed too - the bugs are happiest in a warm, moist environment.

So, this is what I do - I make the sheet and the pillow look neat and smooth, fluff the duvet and flip back to let the sheet (and the mattress) air.
The bed still looks neat, and is ready to go back to it in the evening.

My bedroom is not a showpiece, and only I care how it looks like. It should serve me, not visitors. I don't tour my home. And some rooms are just off limit to visitors.
That's why I never understood the need of dressing the bed with dozens of pillows that are displayed there only for show, and needed to be taken down ( where? on the floor??) every evening. Why are they sitting there in the first place??? How many of us actually take naps during the day or go back to bed to read or watch TV and need them to get propped up?
Once awake I tidy up the bed sheet,our pillows and shake the duvet and fold it back to air out for a few hours. Usually mid morning I lay the duvet proper and cover the bed with the big bedspread ...no extra pillows.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:38 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,979 times
Usually too tired to make it in the morning. However, I make it in the afternoon (around 6PM) before going to bed around 11PM lol

Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I always make my bed in the morning but I've had people tell me they never make their bed except when they are changing their sheets. Their reasoning was "you're just going to mess it up when you go back to bed". Well, by that thinking, why eat, you're just going to get hungry again, why vacuum when the floor is just going to need it again in a week, etc.

I like getting into a bed that has been made rather than a crumpled mess.

I don't know how to do the polls so just tell me if you make your bed every day or not.
More than a few people oink.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:58 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Never.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's the aesthetic part of it.
But truth is - we should not make our beds as soon we get up. The simple reason is that we prevent it to get aired and all the heat and moisture of your body is trapped and neatly covered, without giving an opportunity to escape. Great environment for dust mites to breed too - the bugs are happiest in a warm, moist environment.

So, this is what I do - I make the sheet and the pillow look neat and smooth, fluff the duvet and flip back to let the sheet (and the mattress) air.
The bed still looks neat, and is ready to go back to it in the evening.

My bedroom is not a showpiece, and only I care how it looks like. It should serve me, not visitors. I don't tour my home. And some rooms are just off limit to visitors.
That's why I never understood the need of dressing the bed with dozens of pillows that are displayed there only for show, and needed to be taken down ( where? on the floor??) every evening. Why are they sitting there in the first place??? How many of us actually take naps during the day or go back to bed to read or watch TV and need them to get propped up?

Wow - reading all this makes me feel that there are all kinds of mites in my bed now because I make it as soon as I get up with all the pillows (actually 2 shams, 2 sleeping pillows and 3 decorator pillows) but I never wake up sweaty, if anything I'm cold because I lower the a/c at night and when it's cold outside I open the windows. Maybe I'll start making it before I leave the house from now on.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
I don't, but my husband makes the bed every single day, and within an hour our two labradoodles have pushed all the covers back and are laying on our pillows. Don't even ask me why, but that has not discouraged DH from religiously making that bed

Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I don't. I didn't before I read the articles about leaving it unmade a few years ago, either.
Plus, my cat likes to get under the covers of a made bed and sleep all day. So it actually makes the cat hair worse if I make it.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:45 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
I was up at 6:30 this morning. It is now 9:39 and I'm getting ready to make my bed.

Having my bed made helps my satisfaction of having a nicely put together room. I go through my bedroom many times during the day and if the bed wasn't made, I would feel like something wasn't finished.

Same with dishes in the sink.

It really only takes a few minutes. I should time it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House